Food Plots Let’s Talk Buckwheat

BSK

You planted the buckwhear at 20 lbs per acre — how much per acre of the soybeans?
It wasn't pure soybeans, but a mix of beans and cowpeas, as an experiment. I think I went 20 lbs buckwheat, 30 soybeans, 30 cowpeas broadcast onto turned bare dirt and then drug with chain harrow to cover. And honestly, I will probably go heavier for any all soybean plots this spring.

JAY B

It wasn't pure soybeans, but a mix of beans and cowpeas, as an experiment. I think I went 20 lbs buckwheat, 30 soybeans, 30 cowpeas broadcast onto turned bare dirt and then drug with chain harrow to cover. And honestly, I will probably go heavier for any all soybean plots this spring.
How did this particular plot mentioned above turn out?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I've been planting buckwheat in my fall plots for years. The first frost will kill it, but I'm using it as a "cover crop" to protect the plants I really want in my fall/winter mix. Deer go crazy over the buckwheat in September and October.

But here's the weird thing, I planted it in a bunch of new plots last May 1, as a soil builder. It grew. But deer hardly touched it. No idea why. But until I figure that out, I may not plant it again as a summer crop.
What I see from both spring and fall plantings of buckwheat (seems) to me is that springtime has many other more nutritious and palatable foods and buckwheat only gets hit in its earliest growth stage. Augaust or September planted buckwheat is more palatable than natives and spring planted crops due to the fact that they have hardened and built tannins and acids effectively moving buckwheat up on the menu's. The browse also encourages suckers making the crop thicker and causing the plant to make a big push for seed production!
JMHO

BSK

What I see from both spring and fall plantings of buckwheat (seems) to me is that springtime has many other more nutritious and palatable foods and buckwheat only gets hit in its earliest growth stage. Augaust or September planted buckwheat is more palatable than natives and spring planted crops due to the fact that they have hardened and built tannins and acids effectively moving buckwheat up on the menu's. The browse also encourages suckers making the crop thicker and causing the plant to make a big push for seed production!
JMHO
Makes a lot of sense Popcorn. I tend to plant my fall plots much earlier than others (mid-August). A that time, most other summer food sources are "toughening up" (higher lignin, lower digestibility). Deer really flock to the newly germinated buckwheat. They are still pounding it hard into mid and late September.

deerfever

Planted this last Friday, today was the first rain on it. Buckwheat is good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_184459869_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220506_184459869_HDR.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts