Let’s talk binos

muddyboots

judging deer has become important to me. I need some better binos. Is it worth the money to step up to the Swarovski models? I mean they are like 2000 dollars. All the reviews are great but who would give 2k and then say they stink. Seriously I have the low level zeiss and am just wondering are the more expensive brands worth it in that last 15 minutes????

UTGrad

I have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s. They are considered entry level "alpha glass". They are in many reviews neck and neck with Swaros for hunting. They are very sharp, clear edge to edge and have excellent low light performance. Colors are true and chromatic aberration is virtually non-existent. Swaros are more $$$ but I think the value for hunting goes to the Zeiss Conquest.

muddyboots

I have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s. They are considered entry level "alpha glass". They are in many reviews neck and neck with Swaros for hunting. They are very sharp, clear edge to edge and have excellent low light performance. Colors are true and chromatic aberration is virtually non-existent. Swaros are more $$$ but I think the value for hunting goes to the Zeiss Conquest.
That's what I have. I need something better.

megalomaniac

Buy used swaros... thats what I did.

Got a pair of 8x30 SLCs for $500 for turkey hunting and a 10x42 ELs (that I bought on here from Andy) for $1100. Both worth every penny. And both hold value extremely well. I could sell either pair for the same or more than I paid for them despite using them dozens of days per year for the past 10 years. There just aren't any other binocs that truly compare.

Mb423

Out of curiosity, how are yours compared to some $300 vortex binos?

I constantly glass while hunting and love my vortex diamondback binos I got on black Friday a few years ago.

I have only looked through s Zeiss spotting scope while some Elk over a mile out so I can't really compare to my 500 yard max views here in TN.

AM84

Buy used swaros... thats what I did.

Got a pair of 8x30 SLCs for $500 for turkey hunting and a 10x42 ELs (that I bought on here from Andy) for $1100. Both worth every penny. And both hold value extremely well. I could sell either pair for the same or more than I paid for them despite using them dozens of days per year for the past 10 years. There just aren't any other binocs that truly compare.

Best advice here IMO. If you feel your Zeiss you currently have (assume maybe terra's?) are not good enough then shop smart, find a good deal on some of the top glass (Swaro EL, Zeiss FL, or Leica) and then NEVER have to worry about buying again unless you just want to.

The alpha glass is high, but you can spend the money now and be satisfied forever basically or buy 3-4 pairs over the next years trying to find what you want and spend probably more doing it over time.

Bad habit

Best advice here IMO. If you feel your Zeiss you currently have (assume maybe terra's?) are not good enough then shop smart, find a good deal on some of the top glass (Swaro EL, Zeiss FL, or Leica) and then NEVER have to worry about buying again unless you just want to.

The alpha glass is high, but you can spend the money now and be satisfied forever basically or buy 3-4 pairs over the next years trying to find what you want and spend probably more doing it over time.

Swarovski 10 by 30 here. i also have the 10 by 40. I use the 10 by 30. Lighter and much nicer for extended use. The also fit in most coverall pockets when the larger ones wont. I have had mine 17 years.

AM84

Swarovski 10 by 30 here. i also have the 10 by 40. I use the 10 by 30. Lighter and much nicer for extended use. The also fit in most coverall pockets when the larger ones wont. I have had mine 17 years.
8x32 for me…I found the same thing as you….quality glass allows for a smaller objective…still bright and clear and lighter/smaller than 42's

PWoody

I have the Zeiss Conquest 10x42, have Leupold BX4 8x40, had Vortex Viper 10x42. Honestly, all look very similar to me. Don't have much desire for anything more expensive. Hunt in TN primarily and out west for deer and elk with some regularity. Higher grades may be a little better, but I doubt much more per the $. The improvement per $ definitely shrinks the higher you go, as evidenced between the ones I've owned. Your hand shaking negates most differences unless you're on a tripod.

SEC

Last year I looked through a pair of 20 year old Steiner's in Tx. They'd been everywhere that cowboy had been since the were new. 20 years of abuse and they still were better than my brand new monarchs.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Saved my cabelas points, waited for last years christmas discount, used my cabelas card( extra 5% off), and walked outta there with 10×30 swaro for cheap... I absolutley love them. I. Sure there are plenty of good binos but I dont think for a second youd regret them. I had Steiner for 20 yr.

tellico4x4

Agree X2. I bought Swaro SLC 10x42 binos & Z6 scope 15 years ago & never regretted spending the $. They'll last me the rest of my life and then be passed on to grandsons. Not sure many other brands have that longevity.
However, if I was in the market now I'd take a hard look at some of the newer high end glass as technology has came a long way since buying mine.

JArender

you won't regret it but for deer they really aren't needed. If you are glassing all day on a mountain hunt high quality really does help with eye strain. I have a pair of leica 10x42 ultravid hd and prior to that used ziess on the mtn I can tell. on the deer stand I can't. I used a set of vortex fury last year on bean fields and they were really good for that and i'm considering buying a pair even for bow hunting.
My travel hunting buddy has swaro el range whatever's. and another has swaro slc (I think). There is a difference between the swaro and leicas I own but it's in color I like the color I see through the leicas.

But I will also say this. On my first mtn hunt I battled my glass. I came home and sold them paid 1200 in 2004 bruntons they sucked. Then bought the ziess, then bought something else, then bought the leicas. Buy once cry once is a lesson I have a hard time learning but it's something of value!

bulld

I have a pair of Leica 10x32 trinovoids I picked up used in same class as swaros but a bit less $$$. As good of glass as I want to pay for. Evaluate with the binos then seal the deal with the scope. Binos should be equal or preferably slightly better than your scope IMO.