Let’s spark a Doobate

Should the federal government legal the recreational use of cannabis Nationwide?

• Yes

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters

1908_Cubbies

Supporter
some interesting facts from Colorado:

Section I: Traffic Fatalities & Impaired Driving
 Since recreational marijuana was legalized, marijuana related traffic deaths increased 151 percent while all Colorado traffic deaths increased 35 percent
 Since recreational marijuana was legalized, traffic deaths involving drivers who tested positive for marijuana more than doubled from 55 in 2013 to 138 people killed in 2017.
o This equates to one person killed every 2 1⁄2 days compared to one person killed every 6 1⁄2 days.
 The percentage of all Colorado traffic deaths that were marijuana related increased from 11.43 percent in 2013 to 21.3 percent in 2017.
Section II: Marijuana Use
 Colorado past month marijuana use shows a 45 percent increase in comparing the three-year average prior to recreational marijuana being legalized to the three years after legalization.
 Colorado past month marijuana use for ages 12 and older is ranked 3rd in the nation and is 85 percent higher than the national average.

Really all these stats are telling you is that since it's been legal, more people are using it. These driving stats don't say the the reason behind the crash was being actively under the influence. It just says that at some point in the last few weeks they were. Should we contribute a death to alcohol if we knew they drank 5 days ago? It's also not surprising that there was an increase in usage after becoming legal thus putting their percentages higher when compared to illegal states.

Hduke86

Me personally, I’m not for it being legal. I’m not calling out ANYONE so before ANYONE gets all riled up thinking I’m pointing them out just know this is MY personal opinion and we all know opinions are like b-holes, everyone has one but some just stink worse than others. For one I can’t stand the smell of skunk. It slows your reaction and judgement calls for sure. I can see it now on the news “local bus driver wrecks and hurts or kills children” before you say “well that can be alcohol also and it’s legal” it’s a little harder to chug beer as you’re driving and not get caught but you can “snack on” edibles and no one thinks a thing of it. The biggest thing for me and once again this is a personal opinion is I wouldnt want my boys that think I hung the moon and think I’m the best thing in the world to see me in a high and “lazy-state-of-mind”. I would never forgive myself if I needed to be there for one of my boys or wife in their time of need or anything really and not be able to help or enjoy them cause dear ol dad was high on the couch.

Spurhunter

Supporter
Where did this infinitely stupid idea come from that every time something we don't like is going to be legalized we say "go ahead, but tax the hell out of it!"??? What does one thing have to do with the other? Doesn't the govt. waste enough tax money already? I'm for LESS TAXES all the time, every time. Nobody is a worse steward of your money than the govt.! Either support legalization or don't, but leave taxes out of it. The crooks in DC or Nashville or wherever waste enough money already.

rtaylor

I'm all for letting Americans do what they want as far as weed goes with a couple caveats. First, you can't qualify for any social safety nets if you are doing any kind of drugs or alcohol. Second we need more severe penalties for driving under the influence.

Jcalder

Supporter
The only reason it has the “medical qualities” it does is because people are so fried they don’t know if they’re coming or going. I worked with a burn out. It’s a wonder he found his way to work and back home.

arickettsjr

I'm all for letting Americans do what they want as far as weed goes with a couple caveats. First, you can't qualify for any social safety nets if you are doing any kind of drugs or alcohol. Second we need more severe penalties for driving under the influence.
That would certainly ruffle some feathers if enforced now lol.

rtaylor

That would certainly ruffle some feathers if enforced now lol.
I'm ok with ruffling feathers. I don't believe it is the role of the federal government to be in charge of welfare programs. That should be left up to the local church and local governments. There is no reason that we should work all day to give a check to someone to survive and they are out buying cigs, alcohol or weed.

gasman

Supporter
Where did this infinitely stupid idea come from that every time something we don't like is going to be legalized we say "go ahead, but tax the hell out of it!"??? What does one thing have to do with the other? Doesn't the govt. waste enough tax money already? I'm for LESS TAXES all the time, every time. Nobody is a worse steward of your money than the govt.! Either support legalization or don't, but leave taxes out of it. The crooks in DC or Nashville or wherever waste enough money already.
As I stated earlier, if it is legalized, the ones buying it illegally now, will still buy illegally. Legal stuff will be so watered down that nobody will want it therefore they will continue to buy from their current supplier.

Spurhunter

Supporter
As I stated earlier, if it is legalized, the ones buying it illegally now, will still buy illegally. Legal stuff will be so watered down that nobody will want it therefore they will continue to buy from their current supplier.
I'm not sure that is true. I have a friend that was a major pothead for decades. He quit the weed about a year ago due to a new job. Anyway, he was getting his weed, edibles, etc. from Colorado ever since they legalized it. He said you can go into a store and everything is labeled by THC content, and you can legally buy stuff more potent than anything he's ever seen off the street. I'm sure there will be some type of black market, but if other states follow Colorado, it won't be watered down unless you want it that way.

akachuck

I'm not sure that is true. I have a friend that was a major pothead for decades. He quit the weed about a year ago due to a new job. Anyway, he was getting his weed, edibles, etc. from Colorado ever since they legalized it. He said you can go into a store and everything is labeled by THC content, and you can legally buy stuff more potent than anything he's ever seen off the street. I'm sure there will be some type of black market, but if other states follow Colorado, it won't be watered down unless you want it that way.
I completely agree, there are new forms and ways to take it in. It used it be only the flower, and edibles. Now you can straight up smoke pure THC (dabs or shatter) people are vaping it now and the THC is these vape cartridges are anywhere from 82 to 95 percent of pure THC. People choose this to get more messed up.

7mm08

Wow! It’s sad to see a drug that helps people but also kills. Every action has a positive and or negative reaction
You left out the stabbings and shooting over pot. Of course most dopers don’t have health insurance. So once again the hospitals lose more money, the dopers are also likely to be Hep B, Hep C positive putting hospital personnel at more risk.

this DUDE was going over to get his pot back from another DUDE. One dude sprayed the other Dude with pepper spray and the other dude shot the other dude in the chest with a .22! The bullet went in , grazed the right ventricle of the heart and lodged in the right lower lobe of the lung. Long story short he survived ( of course). The black patches are pieces of disposable towels that I convinced the surgeon to sew onto the patient while we were in the ER so we could stabilize the bleeding and get him to the real OR upstairs. It worked and the guy wanted me to write it up but I didn’t. Basically a pledget.
Long story short , Hospital kissed $100,000 or more away over everyone’s lust to get “ high”. Those cost will be passed onto to you and I so dopers can have their “ rights” not infringed upon.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.
Last edited:

Hduke86

You left out the stabbings and shooting over pot. Of course most dopers don’t have health insurance. So once again the hospitals lose more money, the dopers are also likely to be Hep B, Hep C positive putting hospital personnel at more risk.

this DUDE was going over to get his pot back from another DUDE. One dude sprayed the other Dude with pepper spray and the other dude shot the other dude in the chest with a .22! The bullet went in , grazed the right ventricle of the heart and lodged in the right lower lobe of the lung. Long story short he survived ( of course). The black patches are pieces of disposable towels that I convinced the surgeon to sew onto the patient while we were in the ER so we could stabilize the bleeding and get him to the real OR upstairs. It worked and the guy wanted me to write it up but I didn’t. Basically a pledget.
Long story short , Hospital kissed $100,000 or more away over everyone’s lust to get “ high”. Those cost will be passed onto to you and I so dopers can have their “ rights” not infringed upon.
Now 7mm-08 don’t go using common sense on drugs and the aftermath or downward spiral it can cause, after all it’s just a little grass, right?

Snake

Supporter
Most folks that are for it are already smoking it...... If it's legalized, same folks are still going to buy it illegaly.
This is not true as I told you I don't smoke it tried it didn't set well with me . So to get it straight I'm for it to be legalized. Not for junkies but for those that it helps the pain and from what I've been told it does help . So if I'm the only one then you can bet I don't smoke it but would vote for it . Let's chug our beers and drink our alcohol but let's down weed , very hypocritical. We even had an alcohol thread, for goodness sakes. For the record I do neither one . For those that do either , work to pay for it and do it responsibly then do it I'm not your judge !

Hduke86

This is not true as I told you I don't smoke it tried it didn't set well with me . So to get it straight I'm for it to be legalized. Not for junkies but for those that it helps the pain and from what I've been told it does help . So if I'm the only one then you can bet I don't smoke it but would vote for it . Let's chug our beers and drink our alcohol but let's down weed , very hypocritical. We even had an alcohol thread, for goodness sakes. For the record I do neither one . For those that do either , work to pay for it and do it responsibly then do it I'm not your judge !
I understand what you’re saying and I can understand both sides of the argument/debate. I do neither myself but at one time or another I use to drink back in my “young and dumb” days. This is my opinion and trust me I know it’s not a favorable opinion amongst a big group of people including some of my family sad to say. I view alcohol in the same light as I do weed. Hear me out before anyone thinks I’m tossing stones at them cause I’m not. I can pretty much guarantee that everyone on this forum has had someone or knows someone that has been negatively affected by alcohol. I can’t imagine how many families have been torn apart from it or parents losing children, children losing parents over it. In my circle of friends and relatives I have some close friends that see no problem in it and then I have some that at totally against it. I don’t think we need anything else that will speed up the process of the destruction of the American family which is under attack from every possible way nowadays. As I said this is just my opinion and I respect everyone’s opinion 99.9999% of the time.

Snake

Supporter
I understand what you’re saying and I can understand both sides of the argument/debate. I do neither myself but at one time or another I use to drink back in my “young and dumb” days. This is my opinion and trust me I know it’s not a favorable opinion amongst a big group of people including some of my family sad to say. I view alcohol in the same light as I do weed. Hear me out before anyone thinks I’m tossing stones at them cause I’m not. I can pretty much guarantee that everyone on this forum has had someone or knows someone that has been negatively affected by alcohol. I can’t imagine how many families have been torn apart from it or parents losing children, children losing parents over it. In my circle of friends and relatives I have some close friends that see no problem in it and then I have some that at totally against it. I don’t think we need anything else that will speed up the process of the destruction of the American family which is under attack from every possible way nowadays. As I said this is just my opinion and I respect everyone’s opinion 99.9999% of the time.
I do respect your opinion very much so and I do agree with you to a point . There are differences in the two alcohol and weed . I know some doctors have said to drink a little alcohol is good for your health and it may be I cant refute that . Weed has medicinal purposes this I do know as it is fact . Those that are saying the world is going to fall in if we legalize weed well that's far from the truth . I don't smoke weed nor cigarettes but I would make a bet with anyone on this site that I could get you weed within a couple of days right so it's pretty much avaliable now . The thing is your going to take money away from the cartels and lowend drug dealers by legalizing it . Someone said there will be still those to sell it illegally, probably but it will die down because of avaliablility and getting caught with illegal weed verus legal weed . The war on drugs just admit it we've lost ! I like neither one but it just makes me sick with the media and others glamorizing alcohol even a show I like to watch Blue Bloods heck they all drink ! Wish we didn't have any of it and I'm sure our life would be much better off . I try to be a little more optimistic but realistic hoping if some of these hard drugs [crack,heroin etc) would get less used with the weed being legal, these people although you wouldn't think hate jail . Every one has their right to their own opinions and I've lived the effects of alcohol so this no one can tell me about. Never once and I've been around quite a few in my life seen someone high on weed want to fight or be aggressive but now alcohol is a different story. Like I said don't use either have absolutely no use for either but if I had to choose it would weed (since I'm retired) but you can be alcoholic and still work most places but if you take a puff of weed you could lose your job even if you do it on your own time .

WTM

Supporter
Now 7mm-08 don’t go using common sense on drugs and the aftermath or downward spiral it can cause, after all it’s just a little grass, right?
yeah and pablo escobar started out trafficking weed until he figured out he could make more money trafficking coke when it became popular. he only tortured or killed a couple of thousand of his rivals.

1908_Cubbies

Supporter

On the flip side of this... The dude probably would have never been shot if he was allowed to go purchase legally from a business and not have to deal with criminals. Since it's still illegal in many states, criminals do criminal things while most are law abiding and refrain.

WTM

Supporter
On the flip side of this... The dude probably would have never been shot if he was allowed to go purchase legally from a business and not have to deal with criminals. Since it's still illegal in many states, criminals do criminal things while most are law abiding and refrain.
gee i dont know about that

Snake

Supporter
gee i dont know about that

Crooks are going to be crooks weather or not they are on any dope or not .

Latest posts