• Help Support TNDeer:

Legislation to sell part of Daniel Boone National Forest

1bow4me

This can't happen. I grew up in the DBNF. Spent the first ten years of my hunting life in the Morehead area. Eventually was able to hunt from the top to to Tn border. I love that area. Saw and learned so much hunting there. Personally I'd rather they sell LBL land that the DBNF land. But would rather not see any of it go to plunder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

TheLBLman

On the surface, we're all quick to say, "No, don't do this."

But too many details missing from this info.
Rand Paul may be talking 1 acre, or he may be talking 150,000 acres.

Since the land is federally owned,
any of it for sale,
wouldn't the State of KY have the option to own it?

Just saying, some "State" Forest could conceivably replace some "National" Forest?
A decentralized thought transfering management from the feds to the states?

Need more details.

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
Rand Paul has said in the past that selling to private owners would be better than selling to the state. This is a portion of DBNF that borders the Big South Fork and Pickett State Forest in TN, making a large continuous forest of public lands. Keep public land in public hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

Supporter
Sounds like some of his buddy's want a retirement home and a place to build it. :(

7mm08

Oh it will happen unless there is an uprising.

Howard Baker and Jimmy ( I love the poor ) Carter sold off the Little Tellico River to TVA to form Tellico Lake with all those developments! They STOLE the land from the farmers for $250 per acre! Carter even overturned the WILD AND SCENIC ACT to make it happen. May he burn in Hell for what he did!

Better get organized and quick to prevent this!

Urban_Hunter

I saw this on FB. It is proposed to be a corridor of land along some highway to encourage industrialization of the highway and area around it. The idea was that it would create greater access to the national forest itself while creating minor development in specific areas. The article “claimed” that the push came from people living in and around the national forest. Surprisingly, the majority of comments were actually people claiming to live there and they were saying exactly this. Hundreds of comments from people claiming to be from the area hoping it all goes through. I was surprised.

DaveB

The pro-sale folks are just blowing smoke. Maybe they think their own fortunes will improve as a result but those are pipe dreams.

The corridors would fill with fast food joints and such, drive I-40 through Coconino. In 1980 it was not unusual to see elk. Then commercialization at each exit began and now it is terrible. Remember the commercial of the American Indian with tears running down his face over the degradation of the land?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY

You need a spokesman to stand up and say businesses can build in x y or z city. Keep the forest as uncommercial as possible.

Urban_Hunter

DaveB":2qs9n6i5 said:
You need a spokesman to stand up and say businesses can build in x y or z city. Keep the forest as uncommercial as possible.

Just to clear myself, I agree with you entirely. I was just stating what I saw, and I was surprised. Like you said, I’m sure they envision land and property values to skyrocket and probably believe they will be able to control the development throttle but we all know that is extremely rarely the case.

BMan

Let me preface this by saying I am not taking a position in this argument.

However...
DaveB":1yqpnd2a said:
The pro-sale folks are just blowing smoke. Maybe they think their own fortunes will improve as a result but those are pipe dreams.
If the comments are, in fact, from local residents of those areas, I feel they should have a say in how the land is used. We all look at the national forests as a place to get away from it all; those people are trying to make a living in those locations.
DaveB":1yqpnd2a said:
Remember the commercial of the American Indian with tears running down his face over the degradation of the land?
First off, the commercial was addressing pollution which, in the 60s and 70s, was worse than now. Many people have changed their habits through the years - e.g. throwing trash out of your car is fairly rare now - and water and air pollution is far lower than it was then.

Secondly, "Iron Eyes Cody" was actually an Italian whose parents both came from southern Italy. He did play a good Indian, though...

DaveB

Sorry, I did not explain the commercial very well.

Get a young man dressed in 1800's garb with a Kentucky Long Rifle and have him leave his log cabin home and tramp through the forest seeing deer and elk and other flora and fauna and then he comes upon an overlook where he can see the commercialized area and the close is the same tear in his eye.
The slogan would be something like Don't sell our forest, chime in please

Based on what I see on I-40 and other major roadways through national forest lands the big money franchise places will swoop in and pick up every last crumb.

AT Hiker

Luckily the S47 Natural Resource Management Bill passed the Senate (92-8), this was formally the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

Guess who one of the 8 was? Rand Paul, I would love to find more out about his proposal to transfers those federal public lands in KY and more importantly his intentions.

If you care anything about the North American wildlife management model you should also care about federal public lands.

GUNNERX2

I believe the BLM is proposing the same kind of action in the western states. Folks out there are in an uproar as many use those lands for hunting and fishing. The BLM is claiming that upkeep of roads and bridges is impossible with their current budget. Selling "surplus" land would takeaway some of that burden.

AT Hiker

GUNNERX2":33y74g7q said:
I believe the BLM is proposing the same kind of action in the western states. Folks out there are in an uproar as many use those lands for hunting and fishing. The BLM is claiming that upkeep of roads and bridges is impossible with their current budget. Selling "surplus" land would takeaway some of that burden.

The republicans of Utah are notorious for wanting this and using funding as a crutch to transfer these lands.

The list of Senators that voted against the new funding for public lands and conservation are all republicans;
Lee of Utah
Paul of Kentucky
Cruz of Texas
Inhofe of Oklahoma
Johnson of Wisconsin
Lankford of Oklahoma
Sassee of Nebraska
Toomey of Pennsylvania

I don’t think the “BLM” is wanting to get rid of any land, they just need an appropriate budget. Luckily this bill that just passed the Senate is a huge step in that direction.

Latest posts