Legal options?

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
My wife's car was vandalized in Wal-Mart parking lot. It was recorded on surveillance video and an employee got the tag number of the offender. My wife got the tag number and called the police. I talked to her while she waited, telling her to take a picture of the tag number before giving it to the officer. We'll, she did not. It has been over 2 weeks and the PD will not give us or the insurance company any information about the tag number or still shots taken from video. The estimate is several hundred dollars for door repairs and a paint to match mirror. I'm afraid that if I pay the $500 deductible to get it fixed that it will never be resolved. Ideas, thoughts?

DaveB

DaveB

Walmart will not release the video. I have been in a situation and they shared it with the Cops and that was it. Nothing I could do would move them off that dime.

The Cops, at least the great and mighty Bartlett Cops, would not advise me of progress or anything at all with my situation.

See if you can get a lawyer on commission to sue Wal-Mart. I hear the line is 500 years long. Maybe take it up with the local Television Station.

My Situation involved $4500.00.

I wish you luck.

Aquaholic

Aquaholic

Call the PD and find out what detective is working on the case ... Walmart cannot Release the video to you ... Only the police

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
PD has all info. Tag number not visible on camera. Officer doesn't return her calls. The witness said it was a Mexican so I doubt she has insurance. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the PD.

mr.big

mr.big

jlanecr500":3gi0vkv5 said:
PD has all info. Tag number not visible on camera. Officer doesn't return her calls. The witness said it was a Mexican so I doubt she has insurance. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the PD.

sounds like you might as well get it fixed,,,

rem270

rem270

Supporter
I'd go ahead and get it fixed then let your insurance sue the person for damages (if they will do it). I don't have much faith in ever getting something like that resolved where you feel like you win in the end. Sucks for you though.

My old boss back home was at a dentist office one day. Had just bought his daughter a new car and had someone do a hit and run. Same thing like you someone got the tag number and it was on video. Cops went to his house and found him and nothing ever come out of the situation.

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
Maybe it is best that I don't have the tag number. I can just see me hooking a 20' logging chain between my Cummins and that suv. I'm easier to prosecute than the minority that did the damage.

I guess what bothers me is that new Camaro was my wife's dream car. I bought her the first black one I could find when production started back up. I surprised her for our 25th anniversary.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
jlanecr500":3ii2h209 said:
I'm easier to prosecute than the minority that did the damage.

You nailed it.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
jlanecr500":7xvnokc2 said:

My wife was involved in an accident a couple of years ago with a Mexican woman. She lied with every breath, stating she worked at a local business, had State Farm Ins even. My wife, being the soft hearted woman that she is, decided not to have the police detain her, since it was the day before Thanksgiving, and we never heard from or saw her again. No doubt illegal, and our Ins had to cover the damage. Lesson learned. If someone can't provide proof of insurance, or heck even proof of citizenship, have the police detain them until they can. I know this doesn't pertain to your situation jl, but it is similar. Hope you get it taken care of to your satisfaction.

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

File a claim with your insurance, assuming you have comp. You’ll be responsible for the deductible but your insurance company will go after the other party. Give the adjuster all info, tag #, etc.
Hopefully the comp claim will not affect your premium but you are paying for it for these particular situations.
Your also assuming the other party has liability Insurance.** I misunderstood the original post, assumed it was an accident involving two vehicles because of the license plate being mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camp David

Camp David

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the car was vandalized why would their insurance (even if they had any) cover it?

R

RandyinTN

Camp David":1fsifmjw said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the car was vandalized why would their insurance (even if they had any) cover it?

Because that is what comprehensive covers. And it is also pretty cheap to carry $0 deductible. With St Farm is only increased my premium $16 every 6 months to go from $250 ded to $0 ded.

Camp David

Camp David

RandyinTN":di1v2rhl said:
Camp David":di1v2rhl said:

Because that is what comprehensive covers. And it is also pretty cheap to carry $0 deductible. With St Farm is only increased my premium $16 every 6 months to go from $250 ded to $0 ded.

So you're trying to say if I went to Walmart and vandalized some cars my insurance would cover it? That's not going to happen.

S

Smo

rem270":2jqmgldt said:
I'd go ahead and get it fixed then let your insurance sue the person for damages (if they will do it). I don't have much faith in ever getting something like that resolved where you feel like you win in the end. Sucks for you though.

My old boss back home was at a dentist office one day. Had just bought his daughter a new car and had someone do a hit and run. Same thing like you someone got the tag number and it was on video. Cops went to his house and found him and nothing ever come out of the situation.

Bingo! Let the insurance company get their money back in the mean time your car is fixed.

They should return your deductible upon their recovery of funds.

Atleast that’s what happened when I was rear ended in Homestead Fl by an individual from a third world Country.

He had no liscense , no insurance and the Spanish speaking cop let him drive away after he completed the report.

I don’t think he noticed his radiator leaking, so he probably didn’t make it far.

P

pass-thru

Aquaholic":w92rrdj3 said:
Call the PD and find out what detective is working on the case ... Walmart cannot Release the video to you ... Only the police

There is a difference between "cannot" and "will not". They can, but they will not. That is their policy, not the law.

Aquaholic

Aquaholic

pass-thru":ulcfd4bv said:
Aquaholic":ulcfd4bv said:

There is a difference between "cannot" and "will not". They can, but they will not. That is their policy, not the law.
Doesn't matter if it's law or not... They can't ... Because I'm not loosing my job over it

R

RandyinTN

Camp David":29mhgpg8 said:
RandyinTN":29mhgpg8 said:
Camp David":29mhgpg8 said:

So you're trying to say if I went to Walmart and vandalized some cars my insurance would cover it? That's not going to happen.

Your insurance company will cover your car if someone vandalizes it and you have comprehensive. Read your policy. For example, glass damage, windshield replacement, is covered under comprehensive. Of course your ded, if any, applies. But if you went to Wal Mart and vandalized other cars you will pay for it as well as most likely be jailed for it.

Comprehensive insurance is a coverage that helps pay to replace or repair your vehicle if it's stolen or damaged in an incident that's not a collision. Comprehensive typically covers damage from fire, vandalism or falling objects (like a tree or hail). If you're financing or leasing your car, your lender likely requires comprehensive coverage. If you own your vehicle outright, it's an optional coverage on your car insurance policy.

WHAT IS COVERED BY COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE?
Comprehensive helps cover damage to your car that's not the result of a collision, such as:

Theft
Vandalism
Fire
Natural disasters (like a hurricane or a tornado)
Falling objects
Damage done to your car by animals
A civil disturbance (like a riot that results in damage or destruction of your car)

Camp David

Camp David

Randy, I understand the concept of comprehensive insurance, but appreciate your detailed explanation. You have misconstrued my original post. My question was if the vehicle was vandalized by an individual (as the OP stated), what difference would it make if the individual that vandalized it had insurance?

R

RandyinTN

Camp David":3530rvwi said:
Randy, I understand the concept of comprehensive insurance, but appreciate your detailed explanation. You have misconstrued my original post. My question was if the vehicle was vandalized by an individual (as the OP stated), what difference would it make if the individual that vandalized it had insurance?

Perhaps because in your original post you stated:
Camp David":3530rvwi said:
By stating THEIR insurance it was easy to think you meant the owner of the vehicle instead of the person doing the vandalizing. At least that is how I understood it.