leaving a ladderstand up all year

monsterbuck07

monsterbuck07

Yes. Some of ours have been up 4+ years. We just check them before the season and replace strap if needed.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
MUP":3i2xmb1h said:
Yes. I just re-strap them before each season, checking them for obvious signs of deterioration of course.

Same here. Some of them have been up 10 years but like MUP I re-strap and check them every year ever if I'm not going to use it. Any unsafe ladder or any unsafe stand for that matter comes DOWN for good. I don't want anybody getting hurt.

mossyoakmantn

mossyoakmantn

I restrap mine every year as well. ive got one that I had out for 16 years and its time for it to go. its been a great stand but the weather finally got the best of it. I will salvage any parts that are able to be salvaged and replace what can be placed.

fairchaser

fairchaser

Back when we got a lot of freezing weather, rain would get in the legs, somehow and freeze. The legs would split and start the rust. I recommend laying them down, removing the straps and seats for inside storage. The tree will grow and break or weaken the straps and warp the stand.

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
I leave about 20 our and have for many years. Check straps every year. Trees grow so you don’t want to leave straps for years and let them deteriorate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

OldGoat68

all mine stay up year round, check straps as other have said. any that look sketchy disappear.

M

Mike Belt

If I had a couple dozen of them up no doubt some would stay up. Otherwise I pull all my stands. They last a lot longer that way.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Leave my stands up and restrap them each year.

D

DMD (formerly pastorbmp)

MUP":1ej4h7qt said:
Yes. I just re-strap them before each season, checking them for obvious signs of deterioration of course.
X2

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Coker

Coker

Mike Belt":2uc88bcj said:
If I had a couple dozen of them up no doubt some would stay up. Otherwise I pull all my stands. They last a lot longer that way.
X2.
Only have 6 lock-ons. I put them up in early September and take them down in January. Replace all bolts and straps as needed.

G

GRIT

Squirrels love to gnaw on them straps.Even if you replace the straps it dosen't hurt to check it when you go up it just feel the strap with your hands.I had a squirrel to chew a new strap in half in 2 weeks a couple years ago.

J

jetwrnch

Supporter
Loosen the straps before spring for tree growth.

cecil30-30

cecil30-30

Supporter
I have 11 ladderstand spread out on 4 different properties that I leave out year round. I just remove the strap at the end of season. I have 2 that I know are 12 years old, and been left out most of their life. I spray painted all the bolts and nuts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

J

Jon54

fairchaser":32k9l7zc said:
Back when we got a lot of freezing weather, rain would get in the legs, somehow and freeze. The legs would split and start the rust. I recommend laying them down, removing the straps and seats for inside storage. The tree will grow and break or weaken the straps and warp the stand.

My recent fall was caused by something similar. When I put the stand up two years ago, it sat perfectly against the tree and I didn’t have a worry climbing up to secure it. Something happened over these two years and when I went to move the stand and unbuckled the strap, the top of the stand suddenly sprung from the tree. I don’t know why but pain has a way of making one smarter.

Wrangler95

Wrangler95

Leave mine up year round.I have a rachet strap and a chain and turnbuckle to be extra safe in case one fails.Trees grow about a inch per year so I will loosen them up at the end of season! :)

fairchaser

fairchaser

A lot of you guys are worrying me leaving your stands up. How can you see if a step is still secure or a strap has dry rotted thread. Go listen to Terry Drury’s podcast on YouTube where he fell and was seriously hurt. That tree your stand is attached to is moving, growing and maybe even splitting as in Terry Drury’s situation, all year. One day you walk by it and shake it. Looks good. Then one morning in the pitch dark you trust your very life to it and start climbing. Please be careful and use a back up system like a lifeline or fall restraint. Don’t take a chance!