Sold/Expired Learned something about A5's

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I got a buddy that is looking for a Belgium made 20 gauge A5.
I talked to him yesterday about one that was on here and he decided to wait.
He said he was waiting for one with a red stock.
I was like huh?????

Apparently they made them with 3 different finishes on the wood.
A real light colored one, a brown and apparently one that is real red in color.
He said those were the most desirable.

I had no clue of such sorcery. LOL
Heck I can't afford to buy ammo, much less a Belgium made A5 :rotf:

Grandslam11

I learned something about mine. If when cleaning the gun, you put the spring is backwards, It will no longer work as an auto loader. I was embarrassed/relieved when I found out the problem from the gunsmith.

GreyGoose

Grandslam11":2dtggxhj said:
I learned something about mine. If when cleaning the gun, you put the spring is backwards, It will no longer work as an auto loader. I was embarrassed/relieved when I found out the problem from the gunsmith.

I might need to get mine out and check that.last time i shot(10 years ago atleast)it would not cycle properly.its got a switch best i recall for light/heavy loads.i did not tincker with it to much,its to pretty to be anything but a safe queen anyway i.m.o.

Sako

Another thing about A5s.... just because you have a 16 gauge A5... does not mean it is a sweet 16... see it all the time... sweet 16's were marked such... if it is not marked it is not one.

John3

Something I learned about them is that I want every single one of them ever made! Greatest shotgun ever produced.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
John3":3ix0b72y said:
Something I learned about them is that I want every single one of them ever made! Greatest shotgun ever produced.

That's kinda the way my buddy is.
He has a 12, not sure which one and just got a sweet 16 about a year ago.
All he lacks is the 20 to "complete" his collection.

He said the next one he wants is a Winchester 1897.

Ahuntin1

RUGER":35o5f7rt said:
I was like huh?????

Is this one the red one or the brown one? It looks kinda red to me but this is the first I have ever heard of the colors.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ahuntin1":1gxsc7qv said:
RUGER":1gxsc7qv said:
I was like huh?????

Is this one the red one or the brown one? It looks kinda red to me but this is the first I have ever heard of the colors.

Going by his description that would be the brown.
He said the red was like "really red" like a dark cherry color.
I have never heard of or seen one either.

UpperTully

John3":o3myhvr1 said:

I concur! They were in production for so long for a reason!

I really would like to get my hands on a Stalker Mag 12. I seen one posted on GunBroker for the tune of $1600. I was like OUCH!

I wouldn't mind having a Mag 20 either!

Here is my prized beauty. 1999 Mag 12 30"

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 641

John3

UpperTully":11qg1ut9 said:
John3":11qg1ut9 said:

I really would like to get my hands on a Stalker Mag 12. I seen one posted on GunBroker for the tune of $1600. I was like OUCH!

That's a pretty one. My dad has a stalker that he bought brand new in the late 90's from "Jim's guns and junk" in Brighton. $750 our the door. I bought a used one in about 2008 and paid double that.
Honda 300's and browning a5's are the only 2 things that they had to stop making because they worked too well. Nobody ever needed to buy another one!

darn2ten

UpperTully":2ry11r9o said:
John3":2ry11r9o said:

26" Stalker Mag 12 is what I turkey hunt with. Heavy, but I love it! Bought it brand new in 2001. Small shop I just happen to stop in one day. It's a '99, last year of production I believe. Bought it for $750, wish I could find I few more for that price!

UpperTully

John3":fb8rdchf said:
That's a pretty one. My dad has a stalker that he bought brand new in the late 90's from "Jim's guns and junk" in Brighton. $750 our the door. I bought a used one in about 2008 and paid double that.
Honda 300's and browning a5's are the only 2 things that they had to stop making because they worked too well. Nobody ever needed to buy another one!

You aint kidding! The A5 and Honda 300 has proven their selves to be the best of the best!

UpperTully

darn2ten":3gv9wl8c said:
26" Stalker Mag 12 is what I turkey hunt with. Heavy, but I love it! Bought it brand new in 2001. Small shop I just happen to stop in one day. It's a '99, last year of production I believe. Bought it for $750, wish I could find I few more for that price!

You have a rare gem! Its hard to imagine they sold new for that price. I read an article that said they would cost 3k if Browning still manufactured them today.

godores

Sako":15jbi9oi said:
Another thing about A5s.... just because you have a 16 gauge A5... does not mean it is a sweet 16... see it all the time... sweet 16's were marked such... if it is not marked it is not one.

Oh man, I've got my great grandpa's belgian made 16 gauge A5 and I've been referring to it as a Sweet 16 for years... I'm scared to go open the safe and look for the marking... Sweet 16 has such a nice ring to it. One of those situations where ignorance was bliss!

Love that gun, but man, it kicks like a mule.. especially compared to my modern semi's with those 2 foot deep chemically engineered magic recoil pads.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
godores":z42qr58c said:
Sako":z42qr58c said:

Oh man, I've got my great grandpa's belgian made 16 gauge A5 and I've been referring to it as a Sweet 16 for years... I'm scared to go open the safe and look for the marking... Sweet 16 has such a nice ring to it. One of those situations where ignorance was bliss!

Love that gun, but man, it kicks like a mule.. especially compared to my modern semi's with those 2 foot deep chemically engineered magic recoil pads.

LOL if you decide to go look one quick way to tell is, gold trigger = sweet 16, blued trigger = 16 gauge :)

Latest posts