LBL

deerfever

Wonder what is going on? They open later, have had a two bird limit for years? No one could kill more than one bird on those quota hunts. I have been going since the 80s and hate to hear reports like this. LBL is a beautiful place and the turkey hunting was not like this in the past. Yes the birds were tough and finicky but on a good morning you at least heard birds gobble. I hate to hear reports like this , very disturbing.

megalomaniac

There are some theories that the originally stocked birds did not have adequate genetic diversity to adequately sustain 30 or 40 generations. Transplant those birds from LBL to other sites in TN back in the 80s and the same underlying problem remains... inadequate genetic diversity. Same picture everywhere with LBL birds. Massive population explosion, with complete population collapse. There needed to be an infusion of other genetics into the flock for them to be a le to propagate indefinitely.

Is this more than just a theory? Who knows. But it does fit well with the pattern that those areas first restocked in TN saw populations explode followed by population collapses, while those restocked later with more diverse genetics seem to be faring much better.

deerfever

There are some theories that the originally stocked birds did not have adequate genetic diversity to adequately sustain 30 or 40 generations. Transplant those birds from LBL to other sites in TN back in the 80s and the same underlying problem remains... inadequate genetic diversity. Same picture everywhere with LBL birds. Massive population explosion, with complete population collapse. There needed to be an infusion of other genetics into the flock for them to be a le to propagate indefinitely.

Is this more than just a theory? Who knows. But it does fit well with the pattern that those areas first restocked in TN saw populations explode followed by population collapses, while those restocked later with more diverse genetics seem to be faring much better.
That is interesting mega thanks for sharing. I have spoke with a biologist before that talked about population explosion then a leveling out to "carrying capacity" was the term he used in other words things just level off . I would guess where you get your birds you stock could make a difference in those type of things. I just hope they figure it out and bring them back to the way it was. I have had some really good times at LBL.

BackwoodsBoy

Interesting and honestly a facet I haven't considered.

DoubleRidge

Very interesting....thanks for sharing

wkyhunter

The Kentucky side (and I'm sure the TN side) had turkeys when very, very few other areas of the states had any.
The first legal season was in the Kentucky Woodlands, a portion of what's now LBL in the early 60s.
I assume sometime in the mid 70s they re-stocked the TN side with out of state birds. I know the the late 70s they re-stocked the KY side with turkeys from MO. and shut down the hunts. Think after a year they opened from 68 to the state line and after that opened it all up. After the re-stock the population exploded. If i recall correctly the reason for re-stocking was in-breeding causing thin shells and low hatches.

Latest posts