Latest year to start shed hunting.

catman529

My first official shed hunt was January 19 2010. Found a matched set. This year is the latest I have ever waited to start shed hunting. I have done a little scouting and kept an eye out while in the woods, but I have not actually gone and put any effort in looking for sheds this year. That's about to change this week though. Who's been finding em, and been seeing many bucks still holding antlers?

Sent from the talk of tap

Hollar Hunter

Re: Latest year to start shed hunting.

I put in about 3-4 hours last Saturday and 6 hours this Saturday and we've found a whopping 1 shed! I think there's still a good number holding but haven't got to check my cameras to confirm exactly how many have dropped due to the flooding keeping me out... :bash:

catman529

Dang that's a lot of looking for 1 shed. Hope you have better luck next time, I imagine you still got a few big boys running loose around there

Shed Hunter

Don't worry Cat. I've been slacking on finding sheds too.

I've got plans to look from Friday-Thursday and then just about every day after that with a few rest days in between of course lol

wlf89

seen 6 bucks other day about half of them still had one antler and the other half still had full set including a 125-130" 8pt

Bone Collector

I have trail cam pics of bucks with no antlers and i had some pics of bucks with one side, but some of the no antler bucks look like fawns, thus they would be BB. I also have pics with bucks holding both sides.

I saw 3 Sunday, on my place. 2 had both sides (spike and 3 pt) the other had no antlers, but at the distance I was at, I cannot confirm that it was not a doe. They were all together.

TN Whitetail Freak

when you guys go shed hunting is that your main focus or are you scouting and hoping to find sheds....i read somewhere that you cant be looking ahead or looking for deer sign...they recommended keeping your eyes on the ground and look for antlers only. is this what you guys do....found my first shed ever last week but i wasnt shed hunting i was scouting and happen to see it hanging in some bushes

Shed Hunter

TN Whitetail Freak":yiqbnfsm said:
when you guys go shed hunting is that your main focus or are you scouting and hoping to find sheds....i read somewhere that you cant be looking ahead or looking for deer sign...they recommended keeping your eyes on the ground and look for antlers only. is this what you guys do....found my first shed ever last week but i wasnt shed hunting i was scouting and happen to see it hanging in some bushes

January to February I'm scouting and hoping to find a random antler or head.

March I'm looking for antler only.

catman529

TN Whitetail Freak":3vemwsgb said:
if you're looking for sheds you're looking for deer sign too. You want to go where the bucks like to go (hopefully) and look very closely for a tine, pedicle, main beam etc.

Latest posts