late season squirrel ?

fishboy1

Thought I might try and get a mess for the stew pot once deer season closes.
Any advice on how to hunt squirrels in Jan ?

They are out the wazoo right now, but i expect the food sources and behavior to change by Jan.

MickThompson

I haven't done much good with them late just walking them up. A dog would probably help tremendously that time of year. The few I have seen tended to be around thickets but ran at 70+ yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishboy1

If my last 2 hunts were any indication, Wearing orange and sitting in a treestand with a rattle bag will be the ticket.
Every time I hit the rattle bag, squirrels would start scuffling through the leaves. One or two would run up a tree to look at me and bark. LoL.

cornbread

fishboy1":25jc6wtq said:
Thought I might try and get a mess for the stew pot once deer season closes.
Any advice on how to hunt squirrels in Jan ?

They are out the wazoo right now, but i expect the food sources and behavior to change by Jan.
In January, you want the fur, hunt a Cur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Another option or tactic is to wait and go out about 10 or 11 a.m. and hunt a pine thicket.
If they have been in the pines for a while they will definitely taste a little different too.

Remington700

I agree with the others. Hunt with a cur. If you do not have a dog.... I usually still hunt them. Just pick a spot and sit. When I see one ease to it. If there are two of you it works better. One can circle the tree so the other can take the shot.

Latest posts