Late season older bucks

catman529

What do yall do when hunting late season, post-rut mature bucks. or say 3.5+ years old. I guess a lot of them go nocturnal? What do you do to catch em in daylight, and what kind of food sources do you look for if any? Assuming you don't have the sex ratio of BSK where you cant kill em after the rut.

lpo1981

I hunt edges of thickets and pine stands or plantations.. Pretty much I hunt the edges of what I think are bedding areas..

PcDeer

Hunt trails coming out of cut over leading into food plot. I always look forward to post rut more than the actual rut because I will usually catch a couple mature deer a year sneaking out into the ol food source.

Hollar Hunter

It's very hard to even get a pic of a 4.5 plus right now. Out of all the cameras I'm running I've picked up a few 3.5 a ton of 2.5 and 1.5 year olds. I haven't got a 4.5+ buck pic since late Nov around here. I think their not just mostly nocturnal but moving very little trying to recover except to eat something close by. That's big woods hunting though. Where you have permission at is still a great big buck place with all that cover to lay up in. Not to mention all the food and safety surrounding you the deer flock to those places this time of year. I would try to catch them coming in or out but stay out of the core of that thicket. I bet it will only get better for you the next couple weeks. Good luck

MUP

Still hunt like I have been, watching the does and hoping for a doe that hasn't been bred yet to attract a buck. No does allowed in Unit A for my county at all during rifle season. And I'm not bashing this reg either b/c there just aren't that many does in my area that I've seen, thus making it a sound reg in my book.

Winchester

Its time to hunt "out of the box" places this time of year. I focus on places that have been overlooked or untouched. These may be right in the middle of where heavy hunting pressure has taken place all year. It doesnt take much, just somewhere a lil off what normally gets hunted. Hunt where nobody else has as of yet!

BSK

cecil30-30 said:
I've never seen a buck 2.5yrs old or older past the first weekend in Dec. And I mean never...This is while hunting of course.

In 26 years, we've never seen a 3 1/2+ year-old buck past Nov. 30. 2 1/2s yes, 3 1/2+ no. We get pictures of them, but all pictures after the 1st week of December are night-time pictures.

tn droptine

Hoping to catch a buck cruisin here later this week, Wednesday will be my first day of hunting this year.

Next year is another story though, I'll be home Sept 15th and will have the whole season to hunt any day I want!!! Can't wait!

Latest posts