Last tournament of the year.. Weiss Lake.. ugh!

TNReb

Our club's two day Classic was this weekend on Weiss. I found a decent pattern Thursday in practice but nothing great.

It held up the first day of the tournament and I was 0.71lbs out of first after the first day.

Today I zeroed. Ouch. Well, technically I did have one keeper (12.5" spot), but I threw him back and left an hour early.

I lost three good ones on squarebills that jumped and threw the hooks. All 3 were definitely over 3lbs and one was probably well over 4.

Turns out the other leaders struggled also. I only needed 7.5 today to win. Had the winning bites and couldn't land them. First place was $2,000. Instead I fell to 10th and $200. Glad I was in a position to win, but wish I didn't learn what it's like to watch $1800 worth of fish jump off!

TNReb

Edit.. how did I fall to 10th if the other leaders struggled? The guys who struggled yesterday Made jumps. It was basically the exact opposite of Day 1. Weird.

Rollo

How were the conditions there? Was it super clear as usual? And how did you find your pattern, if you don't mind me asking? That's a lake I haven't fished since I was a kid. Looking to get back to it next year.

TNReb

Tough to lose quality fish in a tourney!

I've experienced it more than I care to admit.

Would the fish you threw back moved you up at all?
I haven't seen the final results, so I'm not sure. I figured I fell out of the top 10 and wanted to get on the road. I did weigh him on my scale, and it wasn't even a pound. In hind sight, I should have weighed him because I would have been irritated if I missed the money by just a few ounces. I was irritated and knew if I stayed to weigh in I'd get home two hours later.

TRIGGER

And THATS why we fish. If it were easy it wouldn't be fun. Tough break. I believe the difference in the pros and most is the pros make every opportunity count. Fine tune your set up and get back out there.

Jmed

Its a fickle lake. I have only tournament fished it 3 times. First day ever on the lake, lower unit went out, we were stuck to trolling motor only around the marina, and we won with like 14lbs. couldnt catch a limit the next two trips. go figure