Last of 2020 Sandhill Crane

TAFKAP

If you've never had the opportunity to eat Sandhill crane, it definitely lives up to the hype. Pulled the last two breasts out of the freezer last week in preparation for hunting them again this week. Salt, pepper, and garlic is all they need. Sat out for a few hours beforehand.

In my offset barrel smoker, I rolled smoke for about 25 minutes (mix of mesquite and pecan). While they smoke-roasted, I got a chimney full of lump hardwood going. When it was ready, I took the meat off, and dumped the coals. When the grates were clean and the coals were settled, I blasted the breasts again for another 3 mins/side. Slice thin on the bias and served with sautéed mushrooms in a red wine/butter sauce. Mrs. TAFKAP smashed some red-skinned potatoes, cooked green beans with bacon, and made some cornbread waffles. TAKFAP Jr. got a waffle maker for Christmas, and it's become a game to see what sort of stuff we can make waffles out of.

140008115_230500252006393_916761937200055791_o.jpg

TAFKAP

I haven't even posted up this season's birds!

Breasts were grilled on Sunday, and they turned out perfectly again. I got legs cured & sous vide cooked last night for confit. Gonna show that one off soon.

TAFKAP

My neighbor is the same way. Says he never wants to eat chicken or turkey again he's so sick of it.

Latest posts