Land Prices

D

doolin

I was playing around on Zillow just looking at land prices in west TN kinda to gauge what I can expect to get in the next year or so when I decide to buy some to bulid a small place. Well it is what I thought was pretty expensive until I decided to look out west... Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon... WOW is all I can say. They may have a lot of open land out there but they sure want a lot for it. TN prices are dirt cheap compared to out there

fairchaser

fairchaser

When you consider the millions of acres of public hunting land out west such as Idaho, you don’t need any land of your own. You only need about 5 acres for your stuff and you can walk out your back door and go 100 Miles without getting on someone’s land. Here you need to spend $1million to have enough hunting land. So it’s not a bad trade off of you ask me.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

fairchaser":6ngiba4c said:
When you consider the millions of acres of public hunting land out west such as Idaho, you don’t need any land of your own. You only need about 5 acres for your stuff and you can walk out your back door and go 100 Miles without getting on someone’s land. Here you need to spend $1million to have enough hunting land. So it’s not a bad trade off of you ask me.

Though there are a lot of variables involved when we speak of "out west" or "Idaho," that's a pretty good synopsis.

Big Gun

Big Gun

There is 196 acres for sale across the road from our lease. Fayette Co. has established food plots. A mere $549,000

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Biggun4214

Biggun4214

There is 80 acres behind me that is for sale. The realtor told me it was a steal at $1.25 million. The house hasn't been occupied in over 10 years and is probably 50-60 years old.

B

blondebear

not much private land out west and huge amounts of public. continual demand for the private keeps the prices headed north. always a consideration when buying land out west is does it have a well or even can u get a permit to drill. with water tables dropping and the effect of new wells on existing wells , permits can literally be non existent for raw land. private land with utilities available can be an issue. not many folk really want to live off the grid.

demand,water and utilities are worth big dollars.

hunters in the western states are increasingly buying private to hunt on. timber companies are limiting access , raising access fees or closing their lands down period. predators are taking a bite out of the numbers of game in most remote areas. hunters are leaving millions of acres of public land and knocking on your door. there was a time i couldn't wait for hunting season to come in, more and more i can't wait for it to go out now. a lot can be extrapolated from that statement.

D

DRSJ35

Land prices east tn have gone higher than ever. More People from out of state started moving here.Places like Florida and up north aka halfbacker's. Nothing terribly wrong with that i guess.But land prices were so high where they came from.That they will pay any price for the land and house's here.And it still seems cheap to them.People from here know that.So they raise the price a little more then a little more.So now it's just about priced me out of owning a nice piece of hunting land myself.And i'm not the only one.Maybe it will reset itself in the future and i can grab me a piece.

casjoker

casjoker

Supporter
I am one of those from away (Maine) and I can tell you land prices here were shocking to me. You can still find land for $500 an acre in Maine. The same thing has happened in Maine as here. Out of state people (IE Massholes) move in and jack up the prices then post everything no trespass. There are still a bunch of land in Northern Maine that's easy access. Southern and Central Maine have become tough. I have started looking her in TN as well as IN and Arkansas. Hard to find anything in what I would call the reasonable range. A realtor told me between pro athletes, med docs and lawyers they aren't hurting for customers willing to pay big money for acerage in West TN, MO and other areas within a 2-3 hour drive of a major city (Nashville, Memphis, St Louis).

L

landman

I have sold it from $1,200 to 25,000 per acre this year, all depends on what the highest and best use is

Snowwolfe

Snowwolfe

The house lot for our last house in Alaska was 11,000 square feet, roughly 1/4 acre. Just the lot was valued at $80,000 in 2012. Hence one of the major reasons for the vast migration to Tennessee.

blondebear brought up an interesting point about wells. We have family that lives in NW Washington state. In the area they live the only way you can drill a new well is if you prove it will not effect the water table of the rivers around it. Which is bascially impossible to do. So, no new wells, and there is no city water lines to the homes.

My opinion about land has never changed. Buy as much as you can as soon as you can. They are not making anymore. Every day I listen to neighbors talk about how much they could of bought lot X for 10, 15, 20 years ago. Would of should of could of.

B

brussell

1k per acre in west TN if you buy a large chunk. 700-1000 acres.

JimFromTN

JimFromTN

brussell":1zv14tc4 said:
1k per acre in west TN if you buy a large chunk. 700-1000 acres.

You can get it that cheap for smaller quantities if you are willing to buy clear cut that is a mile from the closest utility pole. There was a 140 acres not far from Waverly that was listed for $100k. I don't know if it ever sold. It was a mile or so down a dirt road and the power ended at the dirt road.