Ladder test

Jcalder

Those of you that have done ladder tests what are your procedures in doing so. I'm wanting to do a Ladder test on my 243. My max range is roughly 230-250. Is that enough distance to do it or do I need it longer. Also. Any tips would be great. Thanks

mr.big

it is a good way to start looking for a load but from the times I have done it the charge that looks like the best in a ladder is not 100% always the best,,,,even when working up a load shooting 5 shot groups ever 1/2 gr,,the best 5 shot group on a certain day wont always turn out to be the best load for a certain rifle,,

I have learned to lean on my chronograph for the main factors when deciding what load I want to settle on and load my ammo,,

I like my ammo to print round clusters and would rather have a load that shot .750 for 5 shots in a round cloverleaf as to have 4 in one hole about .400 and one a bullet hole out that measures .650

DaveB

Yeah, what Mr. B is looking for is the unexplained flyer, meaning you did not pull off a shot but you have one that is wayyyyyy outside the remainder of the group. I have seen some of these off the paper at 300. So Deer at 100 is dead and at 300 you have a clean miss.

Remember, we are talking here about a problem where the presence of a flyer is persistent. You may not perceive the problem when shooting t 100 yards. These can be difficult to see at 100 yards and may not alert the shooter. Think of this: A 3" flyer at 100 is a 9" (at least) flyer at 300. Tracking down the cause of the flyer can be, mmmm, difficult. Faulty scope (BSA, Barska, similar that don't lock up securely) is more common than you might imagine and should be first on your list for review.

Jcalder

Thanks for the responses guys. I looked at the link and have learned a ton from it. I have seen what mr b is talking about as far as a load shoots great today and sucks tomorrow. I've left the range scratching my head several times and went back and shoot like a dream.

Hunter 257W

I personally don't see the point of this type load development unless you are shooting way beyond 500 yards. According to the article Vonb attached above, the purpose of Ladder testing when developing a load is to minimize vertical stringing. When you look at the example shown(in the article), you'd want to use a powder charge of 30.1 grains. By using this "middle" charge of powder, the inevitable variation in powder in your handloads would give the very minimum amount of vertical stringing in the groups. However, any modern deer rifle cartridge shoot flat enough out to 300 yards that you don't need to even think about this. Also, there's no guarantee this powder charge will also give the smallest groups. Further there's no guarantee you'll get 3 powder charges that shoot to the same vertical point on the target as they did in the example.

Just doesn't look that useful for a normal deer rifle being used for normal hunting ranges or anything under 500 yards for that matter.

Jcalder

Hunter 257W said:
I personally don't see the point of this type load development unless you are shooting way beyond 500 yards. According to the article Vonb attached above, the purpose of Ladder testing when developing a load is to minimize vertical stringing. When you look at the example shown(in the article), you'd want to use a powder charge of 30.1 grains. By using this "middle" charge of powder, the inevitable variation in powder in your handloads would give the very minimum amount of vertical stringing in the groups. However, any modern deer rifle cartridge shoot flat enough out to 300 yards that you don't need to even think about this. Also, there's no guarantee this powder charge will also give the smallest groups. Further there's no guarantee you'll get 3 powder charges that shoot to the same vertical point on the target as they did in the example.

Just doesn't look that useful for a normal deer rifle being used for normal hunting ranges or anything under 500 yards for that matter.

I've had this same outlook for awhile. I usually look in my manual and look at online manuals and go from there adjusting my loads. I've gotten several loads doing this. And for a hunting rifle it works.

But there is a chance that I may be getting a 6 dasher. Before I do I'd like to test this procedure and see what works and to help my understanding of what I'm looking at.

Hunter 257W

Jcalder said:
Hunter 257W said:

I've had this same outlook for awhile. I usually look in my manual and look at online manuals and go from there adjusting my loads. I've gotten several loads doing this. And for a hunting rifle it works.

But there is a chance that I may be getting a 6 dasher. Before I do I'd like to test this procedure and see what works and to help my understanding of what I'm looking at.

It certainly won't hurt to do anything that makes your loads more consistent - I agree with that. Besides, you'll be shooting more and getting to be a better shot which is always a good thing. :)

Jcalder

Hunter 257W said:
Jcalder said:
Hunter 257W said:

It certainly won't hurt to do anything that makes your loads more consistent - I agree with that. Besides, you'll be shooting more and getting to be a better shot which is always a good thing. :)

I don't know about shooting more lol. I shoot nearly every weekend. I will agree that it helps become a better shot

Latest posts