• Help Support TNDeer:

KY speedway= Ford parking lot

Hunter 257W

I have no need to pull a trailer except a fertilize trailer from the CO-OP to the farm. I did drive it over 750 miles one day to get a pair of Pontiac V8's, extra 400 cylinder heads and a Turbo 400 transmission. It will do it.

If you did have a need to pull a trailer, a long wheel base or 3/4 ton with a 454 and Turbo 400 transmission is certainly capable. There is no need for such complication as exists on current trucks. Look at the advertisements they have. They don't even talk about the vehicle, it's more of a showcase for computer weenies than a truck. The truck just happens to be sitting under all those gadgets.

Crow Terminator

How far back would you have to go to find a vehicle that doesn’t use a computer? I know my dad’s 86 F150 has one in it. I only know that because it went bad a few years ago and it’s an obsolete part. It’s for the EFI...he had to convert his to carbureted. It was either that or take a chance on one from a junkyard that might or might not be good.

Big Pop

Presently you cannot order a new Chevy truck due to the chip “crisis”. I’m sure the climate patrol police don’t have anything to do with that. Never let a good crisis go to waste!

1908_Cubbies

Yeah, I don't get what we've gained with the new trucks and all their hopelessly complicated controls over my old 64 Chevy 4WD. Mine does have electronic ignition but other than that there are zero electronics. A dirt common 350 Chevy, 8.4:1 compression, small Edelbrock 4 barrel carb (600 cfm) with cast iron manifolds and dual exhaust. 4.10 differential gears with 33x12.50 tires. I get 14+ mpg. I hear people say all the time that they get 16mpg in their new "more efficient" trucks. I paid $3,400 for mine.....they pay 20 or more times more than that and only get 2 mpg better mileage? I don't get it. I can easily diagnose problems when they occur and fix or modify mine without any electronic tester telling me what the problem is. Plus all the new trucks are ugly as mud compared to those old Chevys. :) Not that I'm biased or anything. 😁

I hear these same complaints all the time so not sure why manufacturers can't build a simple truck again.

Want your money back? :cool: Those mid 60's Chevy's are absolutely my favorite.

Hunter 257W

How far back would you have to go to find a vehicle that doesn’t use a computer? I know my dad’s 86 F150 has one in it. I only know that because it went bad a few years ago and it’s an obsolete part. It’s for the EFI...he had to convert his to carbureted. It was either that or take a chance on one from a junkyard that might or might not be good.
As best I can recall you'd have to go back to the 1970's. Electronic ignitions started either in 1974 or 75. Before that they used point type ignitions so would be totally immune to the threat of a EMP bomb that is frequently discussed as such a threat to our modern life. I'm pretty sure that the Pontiac Trans Am had no computer throughout the entire 2nd generation body style which ended in 1981. After that they had some kind of "computer" controls. So, yeah, if you want a computer free car, you better be a mechanic 'cause they are going to have some wear on them.

Yep, converting to a generic carburetor is the simple way to keep a vehicle from that era running once the fuel injection starts acting up. A small Edelbrock 4 barrel is cheap and reliable.

Hunter 257W

Want your money back? :cool: Those mid 60's Chevy's are absolutely my favorite.
Ha! No, I've had it so long (33 years) it's like a member of the family now. It's got rusted out fenders and rocker panels, creaks and groans when going over uneven ground and lots of other problems but I'd miss it like my right arm if I ever got rid of it. One of life's greatest joys for me is riding down country roads at night in that old truck with the windows down listening to the sound of the engine while feeling the wind blowing across my face. It's just not the same in a new sanitary carpeted truck.

double browtine

Presently you cannot order a new Chevy truck due to the chip “crisis”. I’m sure the climate patrol police don’t have anything to do with that. Never let a good crisis go to waste!
It makes you wonder what those chips are really for? Are they recording information and transmitting it? It's odd that both Chevy and Ford need these chips to run.

Latest posts