• Help Support TNDeer:

Knee Replacement

eweisner

It's difficult to process coming to the conclusion of a difficult journey. I severely damaged my knee in the Army and ETS was very fast. I thought I had my medical records but didn't. Once I started the ball rolling it took years to get them. Once I received them it was a no-brainer 10% service connected disability.

But the damage increased. Braces were worn, discarded. shots given, PT attended, drugs prescribed. Nothing worked. We have been on this roller coaster for years. Yesterday the VA finally agreed that I need a full knee replacement. I go in for surgery on June 1 and 23 hours later they send me home.

Excited and nervous at the same time. Could use good thoughts and prayers.

E

Last edited:

BSK

Unfortunately, the recovery process from a full knee replacement is long (at least a year), but that time frame is better than having chronic knee pain and lack of function for a lifetime.

Mr.Bro

November 11th 2019 left my tree and the rut behind for a full knee replacement. Nov 12th at 7am the surgery began. Was home before dark. Remember the meds they give you after surgery are far better than the ones they prescribe for you. Oxycodone the first 3 days then hydrocodone for about 2 weeks. Meds will help but ice will be your best friend. Get the ice bucket that circulates cold water. Do all your pre op therapy. You want both knees and legs as strong as possible going into the surgery. Therapy with therapist 3 times a week and at home 3 times aday everyday. Pain? Yep hurts like hell for a couple weeks but will gradually lessen. Had my right knee done and everybody told me to enter from the passenger side of vehicles. I found out getting in the drivers side of my truck was much easier. I was driving myself to therapy 2 weeks after surgery. Just skip the pain meds before driving.. I was back working a few hours aday at the liquor store after 6 weeks. Back full time after 2 months.
At 6 months I did a 2 mile hike through the farms and fields. I never go anywhere off concrete now without a walking stick.
Falling on my face twice was scary. Use a walking stick.
November 12th 2020, back to using my climber and killed my first buck with a crossbow.
One more bit of information. Cleaning a deer is almost impossible unless you can do it standing up.

Good luck and prayers sent for a speedy recovery.
Keep us informed on your progress.

KPH

If it goes like my wifes they will geve you a machine that will cerlate ice water around the knee. Ice will become your best friend. The pain was really bad afterwards but in the long run it was more than worth it. I just hope you have atop notch doctor to do it and a good wife to help after wards. Don't let me scare you the wife acts like it never happen now.

Snake

Supporter
Dear Heavenly Father coming once again to your mighty throne of grace for one of our own . Asking for your guidance to surgeons hand as well as your healing hand for a full recovery for the gentleman mentioned , this we ask in the mighty precious name of Jesus Christ amen .

Mama Doe

Supporter
Prayers for you! My mom had it done and it took some time to recover but she doesn’t regret it at all. My brother had a partial knee replacement and he said he went in hurting and came out feeling much better. He said he wished he would have done it sooner!

BSK

Have a sister that has had both knees fully replaced. Both were very long recoveries (a year to walk freely without pain). A brother had a partial knee replacement. He was up and going strong in a couple months.

7mm08

Have a sister that has had both knees fully replaced. Both were very long recoveries (a year to walk freely without pain). A brother had a partial knee replacement. He was up and going strong in a couple months.
Only one problem with the partials....... higher rate of reoperation and usually to a total.
Unfortunately I am an expert on knee replacement surgery. HA! I researched the hell out of it. I had a totally normal knee ( no osteoarthritis and normal cartilage) that died and required a total knee within eleven months .

One note not mentioned here you will require antibiotics every time you have dental work from now on...... to keep from getting infection in and around the prosthesis.

20% of patients will have a post op CLUNK as well with walking , hills, etc........ that’s me.

from what I am told with people that have BONE ON BONE ( severe osteoarthritis) any of the above is better than the chronic pain.........

good luck and remember the harder you work post operation the better long term result you will get.

oh yes, and all the queer TSA agents will have their way with you when you go to fly, and you can’t say a word!

Last edited:

Dbllunger

Supporter
One note not mentioned here you will require antibiotics every time you have dental work from now on...... to keep from getting infection in and around the prosthesis.

Dead on the money with that one!!! Good job 7mm08! I was getting ready to mention it. May have to hire you as an associate. :p

7mm08

Dead on the money with that one!!! Good job 7mm08! I was getting ready to mention it. May have to hire you as an associate. :p
I just had a crown and need another one so I know this all too well! Ha! Of course we always got calls from patients asking IF they had to take antibiotics during dental work if they had an artificial heart valve..... yes, BTW.

FTG-05

I've had both my knees done; left July 2019, right Oct. 2019. Didn't take me anywhere near a year to recover. I drove my manual F-350 2 days after I got home from the hospital for the left knee. I drove home from the hospital for my 2nd knee. About 25 miles from the Subaru dealer, where we picked up my wife's new Outback, to home.

OP, they almost literally wheel you in from the Recovery room into physical therapy. Do your PT!!!! (aka Physical Torture or Physical Terrorism, depending on how much you like your PT tech!).

Make sure you go home with some good meds (read: Percoset). I only used them for nights when I was trying to sleep - never needed it during the day.

I can walk, go up and down stairs now without pain. Between this and cataract surgery, one of the best things I ever did.

Good luck!

Gravey

My dad had a total replacement 6 or 7 years ago. He was a jogger, refereed college basketball, and coached football so on his feet all the time. He had it done the week of Thanksgiving and was back to doing some walking for exercise in January. He was very militant in doing all the pre-surgery exercises they gave him and believes that made a difference. Rehabbing is tough but he was determined and said it’s the best thing he’s ever had done. All my life he couldn’t bend that knee past 90 degrees (blew it out playing football in high school) and had it scoped a couple of times. He can’t jog on this particular one but still walks about 45 minutes a day.

Jon54

A good friend from church had both knees replaced and a year later went mountain climbing. He is a tough dude and was special forces in Vietnam. But this is a common surgery. Research your doc, pray and go for it.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts