Killer Instinct Boss 405 review

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I bought one of these a couple weeks ago. I have to say, I'm impressed. I took my time getting it sited in over a couple of evenings. Only ruined one bolt, and that was the first shot, because it was 8 inches low and blew threw a 2x6 at the bottom of the target stand and buried up in a second one 3 inches behind it. Trigger is nice and crisp at 3.5 pounds. the scope that comes in the package deal is not terrible, red or blue lighting if you want it, and the hash marks are pretty well dead on. 20 yard zero, and 30/40/50/60 lines are dead on. 220# draw, but the rope makes it doable easily enough. Crank cocker is supposed to be available on Sept 1, and I have one ordered. That should make it even easier. I am well pleased with it. Starting to have some issues in my right shoulder/upper arm and drawing the compound is getting harder to do. Don't know if it's a pulled muscle, if I've torn something, or if I'm just getting old, but this will keep me in the stand during archery season for years to come. Ready to shoot package was $299.99 at Rural King.

dpmiller613

Couple of tips, I bought a Ripper 425 in May, have the same issue with shoulders at 77, can't pull like I used to. Had a beef with KI over selling a bow without the accessories. I bought a CenterPoint cranker off Amazon for $65.00. It is identical to the incorrect one KI sold me except it has the adapter that mounts to the stock tube on the bow. Save yourself $40+ and aggravation and order it from CenterPoint. It's called a Power Draw Model AXCCRANK. By the way, my Ripper is excellent, very accurate, consistent, and if you're foolish enough to shoot multiple bolts at on bull you can lose a lot of money on destroyed bolts very quickly.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
After shooting a doe with it opening day using a Grim Reaper expandable, I switched out to fixed blade Slick Trick(because I already had them). Head didn't open, I did recover the deer, full pass thru helped, but not much of a blood trail. I think the BOSS is just fast enough that if you don't hit a bone, it doesn't have enough wing to catch on just hide and deploy. If I get to shoot another with it we'll see how well these do.

Snake

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago. I have to say, I'm impressed. I took my time getting it sited in over a couple of evenings. Only ruined one bolt, and that was the first shot, because it was 8 inches low and blew threw a 2x6 at the bottom of the target stand and buried up in a second one 3 inches behind it. Trigger is nice and crisp at 3.5 pounds. the scope that comes in the package deal is not terrible, red or blue lighting if you want it, and the hash marks are pretty well dead on. 20 yard zero, and 30/40/50/60 lines are dead on. 220# draw, but the rope makes it doable easily enough. Crank cocker is supposed to be available on Sept 1, and I have one ordered. That should make it even easier. I am well pleased with it. Starting to have some issues in my right shoulder/upper arm and drawing the compound is getting harder to do. Don't know if it's a pulled muscle, if I've torn something, or if I'm just getting old, but this will keep me in the stand during archery season for years to come. Ready to shoot package was $299.99 at Rural King.
I bought the exact same Xbow and for the price can't beat it . Pushing 400 fps pretty quite as well very pleased .

I bought a swat XP last year. A limb broke on a western hunt in less that a year. No abuse hardly shot except to check zero. Killed one doe with it. Try to call customer service and see what happens. Hope your holds up better than the swatxp !

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Walking into the stand last night with the bow cocked and I hear "Tink" from behind my right ear. Looks like a small crack has started on the lower right limb. We'll see how good their warranty service is I guess. To be fair, the limb has not broken, and did not fail completely, but I am leery of using it until it is at least checked out, and preferably replaced.

IMG_20221026_175647.jpg

Last edited:

RockMcL

I got the Killer Instinct Bone Collector 415 before season on sale at Dunham's.

Have a different definition of "crisp" reference every KI review of seen but the trigger is OK. Scope is OK with the yardage markets very good. I have no use for the lighted reticles but they are OK I guess.

Had to buy a "no speed limit" target.

I still use Rage Cross-X heads and have never had a problem. I went a little heavier bolts, luminocs and still 100 gn rage. Only have taken 1 hunting shot at 25 yards and doe is in the freezer...

Very happy for the price point.

RockMcL

By the way the Bone Collector had both cocking rope & the crank that goes on the back. I use the rope and will use the crank if/when age catches up to me.

I might increase broadhesd weight to 150 gn next season to help protect the limbs but so far no issues. The lightest bolt I shoot is to discharge at end of a no shot hunt. Practice makes perfect.
20221023_183310.jpg
20221003_174002.jpg

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I've been using the bolts that came with it, from what I'm reading online, I might need to add another 50-100 grain weight to the end to ensure the problem don't happen again.

RockMcL

The stock bolts are what you see in my target above. I think my bolts set up weigh close to 50 gn more. I don't worry about pass through since I wait for "the shot" and even my old Barnett with the 100 gn Rage Cross-Xs, luminocs, and same weight bolts has always passed through on broadside shots.

My only reason for thinking about heavier broadheads is I hear it helps prevent limb breakage. I had plenty of spare Rages & rebuild kits which is why I stuck with 100gn.

IF the limbs hold up on mine, I might build a different fore end. The angled one they have is the only thing I dislike about the crossbow. It is okay shooting but makes for awkward slinging with and without a back pack.

Please keep us posted on how customer service takes care of you and if it either breaks or starts throwing inaccurate...

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
The stock bolts are what you see in my target above. I think my bolts set up weigh close to 50 gn more. I don't worry about pass through since I wait for "the shot" and even my old Barnett with the 100 gn Rage Cross-Xs, luminocs, and same weight bolts has always passed through on broadside shots.

My only reason for thinking about heavier broadheads is I hear it helps prevent limb breakage. I had plenty of spare Rages & rebuild kits which is why I stuck with 100gn.

IF the limbs hold up on mine, I might build a different fore end. The angled one they have is the only thing I dislike about the crossbow. It is okay shooting but makes for awkward slinging with and without a back pack.

Please keep us posted on how customer service takes care of you and if it either breaks or starts throwing inaccurate...
I dropped it at Hulmes in Paris Saturday morning. He said they'd take the pictures and send them in, get the parts ordered, and if they needed anything else from me, they'd call. So now the waiting begins.

RockMcL

I dropped it at Hulmes in Paris Saturday morning. He said they'd take the pictures and send them in, get the parts ordered, and if they needed anything else from me, they'd call. So now the waiting begins.
Good luck

bigdeer1

Walking into the stand last night with the bow cocked and I hear "Tink" from behind my right ear. Looks like a small crack has started on the lower right limb. We'll see how good their warranty service is I guess. To be fair, the limb has not broken, and did not fail completely, but I am leery of using it until it is at least checked out, and preferably replaced.

View attachment 153816
I have the KI 415 and this happened to mine. Customer service is great they sent me a new limb and got it fast. I also have the 380 KI. I love both of mine. I went to the Easton Beman bolts 20" with a 100 rage 2" Hypodermic. I have shot a lot of deer with them. I had to stop shooting two and three bolts at a time because I was robin hooding them. The Easton Beman shot great thru these crossbows.

Last edited:

RockMcL

I have not yet. Guess I need to call and see what the hold up is, just been busy with life and haven't worried with it yet.
Not a good sign... I like my 415 but based on others problems am paranoid about breaking limbs. I think I am running about 50-60 gns heavier now. Will try to push it in the off season. I really like the crossbow shooting so flat but don't want a failure in season. I might try 150gn field tips and see how it affects scope range marks.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Not a good sign... I like my 415 but based on others problems am paranoid about breaking limbs. I think I am running about 50-60 gns heavier now. Will try to push it in the off season. I really like the crossbow shooting so flat but don't want a failure in season. I might try 150gn field tips and see how it affects scope range marks.
Called them on lunch, limbs have been shipped, due to arrive Friday or Monday. So maybe I'll be able to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts