KIDS

C1295

When did yall take your little ones on there first hunt, Lets here the stories as well I'm sure some of yall have some good ones

Tn_Va_Hunter

Started my son at 6 hunting with a crossbow. But he had been going to the blind with me since he was 4. I may have jumped the gun but it was always my dream as a dad to have my son in the woods with me. He's 10 going on a 11 and has killed 10 deer. One of which was a 147 inch 10 pointer last year.

squackattack

I took mine when they were six and eight. They had actually been several times in previous years, just were not the shooter. My son was nervous about recoil and my daughter got all fired up when her younger brother got two before her. They are all different. I let them tell me when they were ready. Amazing just typing this brings some great memories.
A988CE15-EA2F-4754-9511-60A5DAB13270.jpeg
C76DB552-2819-4DA9-ABF9-50AD4300627D.jpeg

uncle_loue

my girls' first time accompanying me on a hunt they were 6 & 7. Tiny enough that we could all fit in my spring loaded ameristep ground blind. we packed PB&Js and goldfish plus an ipad on silent with games they could play to occupy them. we went to a spot on public - Percy unit II. It was second week of the season so sunset was around 630. We got setup around 330. I told them we could whisper and eat snacks until 530, after that no talking or eating. We had a system setup where if you need something you tap my leg once. If you see a deer you tap my leg twice. At around 550pm the 6 year old says, "Daddy when will the deer come?". I said darlin we don't know thats why we have to watch and stay quiet. She says, "I know I know...but what time will they come out?". No more than 5 minutes later 2 does pop out 20 yards away and the 7 year old taps my leg twice. One of the does comes straight to a thick bit of scrub 5 feet to our right and nibbles for a min or two. Then she turns and proceeds to walk right in front of our blind and I let the arrow fly from 10 feet away. I watch as she turns and runs into the beanfield beside us - makes 3 concentric circles and crashes in the middle.

we wait 20 or so minutes for a buddy of mine who was hunting nearby to come join us. then we go find the arrow. now i knew the deer was dead and where it was, but I told the girls we needed to find blood and the blood would lead us to the deer. so they set to work. beans were tall that year and even I lost the trail a couple of times. But my 6 year old was the perfect height. Anytime we got stymied she'd find the next bit of blood. In due course she was shouting, "here it is I found it!". With that they took turns posing for pictures and the hard work commenced.

That was 3 years ago and they've only gone a couple of times since; neither one expressing much interest and me not pushing the issue. Last Tuesday I brought home a 6 point and the youngest helped me process him on the tailgate. As we're working she says, "Daddy can I ask you a question?" I said sure darlin. She goes, "You know that thing you told me where there's certain weekends only kids can hunt?". I says yup. She says, "Do you think I could do that this year?"... my favorite question I've ever been asked.

Dennis

When my son was about 3 or 4 he wanted to go hunting with me. He didn't really know what it meant I think, but he knew I was going and he wanted to go too. So I got some snacks and held his hand and walked him to where I had a popup blind. He was really happy. I knew he wouldn't want to stay long. About 3 minutes later he got bored and asked if we were done hunting yet. I said yes and walked him back home. It is a great memory for me.

knightrider

Started taking my son when he was little less than two, had one of those cool modified back pack carriers, man we killed alot of deer and turkeys together! He killed his first deer at 8 first turkey at 6, now he is 21 and takes me😢 he has become a great hunter, man im getting old! First doe to his most recent and best bird to-date this past season
0BC930CB-CB40-429B-863F-1459FE4CDF63.jpeg
01B53A6A-D4D8-4CD4-A52A-DE861BCBF89A.jpeg
309EA343-5BB4-4C73-BBCD-83AF72558B1F.jpeg

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I started taking my son to the woods when he was 3. I would pack him in and we would just sit in the woods for a while squirrel "hunting".
I decided to kill a deer while he was with me at 5, he loved it, even poked around in the guts asking what each part was.
I turned him loose at the age of 6. He killed 7 deer that year. :eek:

I had one hard fast rule, no matter what.
When he said he was ready to go, we left.
I put no demands or rules on him whatsoever. It was all about being together and having fun.
I will admit it kinda stung a couple times when on opening morning of gun season, 30 minutes after sunrise on a cold frosty morning he said, I'm cold. I'm ready to leave.
But we left.

Wouldn't take anything for the times we had together.
As they say, time is a thief.

C1295

I started taking my son to the woods when he was 3. I would pack him in and we would just sit in the woods for a while squirrel "hunting".
I decided to kill a deer while he was with me at 5, he loved it, even poked around in the guts asking what each part was.
I turned him loose at the age of 6. He killed 7 deer that year. :eek:

I had one hard fast rule, no matter what.
When he said he was ready to go, we left.
I put no demands or rules on him whatsoever. It was all about being together and having fun.
I will admit it kinda stung a couple times when on opening morning of gun season, 30 minutes after sunrise on a cold frosty morning he said, I'm cold. I'm ready to leave.
But we left.

Wouldn't take anything for the times we had together.
As they say, time is a thief.
that is what I want to do I don't want to push him when the time comes I just want him to enjoy it.

hitek7

Both of my daughters killed their first deer when they were 6 (one with crossbow and other with rifle). They both had went and sat with me starting at 4 years of age. My oldest is 16 and has now killed a deer in 8 different states.

Latest posts