Kids' sled as a deer drag

F

FishnFed

I was in the crawl space today putting away some mineral lick ingredients and in the corner was an old plastic sled about 46" x 25" that our boys used many years ago to sled ride on. Now that both our kids are in college, I don't think they'll be using it anymore. Earlier I had looked at some sleds to use as drags and I'm thinking of giving this one a try. Nothing to lose. I ran the rope up from the bottom and plan to loop it around the neck of the next deer I kill and drag it out on top of the sled. Anyone ever try such a thing?

Thanks

G

GRIT

Before i bought my 4 wheeler i used my riding mower i used a tarp and i have used a wheelbarrow to get deer out.

ImThere

ImThere

It will work great they sell them just like but camo for deer hunters. Like you need camo to carry a dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

Check out dead sled by arc products if you want to purchase one. I use one and it's great. Especially the straps to keep it secure. I attach it to a harness I wear and just walk out.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

T

tahtah

I have. The kid's sled I used wasn't very wide, I don't remember the exact width, but it was just barely wide enough for the body of the deer, with the legs completely outside the sled. The legs hanging out to the slide caused the sled to veer that direction and of course they were constantly getting hung up. The plastic wasn't durable enough either. So after one drag through the woods, the sled was trashed. However, the concept was good. This year I bought a Jet Sled. It's wider and much heavier material. I used it once and it worked great. Even through a creek, where it floated, across rocks and up a steep incline through the woods. I don't think a cart would have worked.

DaveB

DaveB

I tried one. The pull over smooth ground was okay because I made my daughter lay in the sled and i tied her up like she was a deer. I tried bungee cords, bad bad bad idea. Tiny holes in plastic and nylon cord worked fine. In the forest the sled bottom was destroyed by rocks/branches. Weight of the deer stopped sled from riding up and over.
At first hill I struggled to get to the top....second hill I tried pushing with me on hands and knees it was just stupid. I cut the cords and dragged the deer to the vehicle.

I do not see how anyone can go uphill. You have to go straight up. You cannot go sideways.

I bought a wheeled cart and while it is not much better going uphill you can at least go uphill at an angle. In general, two people can pull on a cart.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
I used one, once.
It wasn't a kids sled but it was a "sled" specifically for dragging deer out.
It didn't work.

Now days if I can't drive the truck or the honda right up to the deer, I don't kill it. :)

Yes, I am lazy.

E

eddie c

I used a round one on the very first deer I shot, a doe right after a snow storm about 30 years ago. tied the sled to her neck with the body on the sled. then the rope just under her head to keep it up and pulled that rope. when I got to the hill on the way back to the house I shoved her and she rode to the bottom. :lol:

D

dsa5455

I have an old plastic sled as well. I pulled two doe out of the woods with it a couple of years ago. Mine is bright orange; which I like because I am reminded that I am walking through the woods with sometimes anxious hunters willing to shoot at anything that is brown and moving. I don't think it will hold up over time but even when I have my 4 wheeler I tuck it in the SUV. It just seems handy to have with me. Often times I will throw my gear on it while it sets in my SUV and I just lift it out with all my stuff and set it on the basement table ready for the next hunt.

Stalkhunter

Stalkhunter

I am purchasing the Hawk deer Cart, I can’t do these drags like I use too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

Jmed

When I hunt the mountains, I always have a small internal frame day pack, a garbage bag, and a sharp knife. I'm not scared to pack one out, even if takes 2 trips, its quicker and way easier than dragging anything

D

DMD (formerly pastorbmp)

I carry my deer hanger, knives and Allen meat bags on my sxs. When I kill one, I de-bone it in the woods and carry the meat out. I started that a few years ago...wish I'd have done it many years ago.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk