kids hunting

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Just wondering when you take kids hunting do you take something to keep them occupied? Whether it be a book,game system,etc. Or do you not let them take nothing?
Me I let my 9yrd take his DS he don't play it a lot but it help keep him still when he gets bored.

BSK

Books, silent electronic games, whatever keeps them mentally occupied long enough. But if they get bored, or cold, or anything else, go in, no questions asked. If it isn't fun, they won't keep doing it.

stik

BSK said:
But if they get bored, or cold, or anything else, go in, no questions asked. If it isn't fun, they won't keep doing it.

when they are ready to quit, it's time to quit. even if it's just been 10 minutes. you can turn them off quick by staying past when they are over it.

Poleaxe

You should see all the stuff my 4yr old takes to the blind. We have a bb gun, bow, army men, tanks, trains, and more candy than I got in 5 Halloweens. If he didn't take that he would be ready to go home in about 30min and he cries wanting to go every time. Sometimes he does good. He will sit still for 20-30mins and look thru his binoculars. Then he takes a break and plays for 20min.

When I went with my old man I always took a rubix cube with me. Forever I was determined to get that thing. After years of trying I completed it once. Dang thing cost me a lot of deer too.

BSK

MUP said:
...and don't forget plenty of snack foods! :)

Yup.

When I first started taking my daughter with me (5 or 6 years old), I would only take her to our one enclosed tower stand. That way she could sit on the floor, move around, read books, whatever. Once she had gotten used to being in a stand for an hour or so, we graduated to two-person ladder stands, and stretched the time out to 1 1/2 to 2 hour sits.

Next weekend will be her first time with a gun in her hands instead of mine, and I'm hoping we can hunt about 2 to 2 1/2 hours each sit.

Winchester

I started mine off hunting squirrels and rabbits where they could walk the woods and not have to be still and quiet. I then started taking them to blinds and 2 man stands for an hour or so. By the time they were 7 they were ready to carry a rifle and hunt for 2-3 hours depending on the day. My oldest is now 15 and 6'2" and he will hunt more than I do if he gets the chance. Enjoy the stand time together, as it flys by and they want to do things on their own WAY to fast. You will miss it I promise! Good luck to all the kids!

BSK

Poser,

I think we work our kids into it because some of us haven't had the opportunity to work kids into DEER hunting like kids used to work their way into deer hunting. When I was younger, deer hunting was the final stage in hunter progression. Kids learned to hunt by hunting rabbits and squirrels--a type of hunting that didn't require much patience or discipline. Deer hunting--and the patience, persistence, and discipline required to be successful--was something you graduated to.

Now kids are being exposed to hunting for the first time right in one of the toughest forms of hunting available--deer hunting. Jumping right over the "preliminary" forms of hunting that taught the lessons of patience means a completely new approach is needed.

Winchester is doing it right, exposing his children to small-game hunting first.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know how to expose my daughter to small game hunting. I never did it myself. I don't even own a .22 or a shotgun. I jumped right into deer hunting in my teens and never looked back. That's all I hunt.

Latest posts