Kicking tires on new boat

TiminTN

I guess the purpose for new boat, is dual front seat for crappie, and large enough for TN river. Just an aluminum boat, and the biggest fishing boat was a 16' Alumacraft with 40 Johnson. I am intrigued by Suzuki outboards and lean toward a tiller, but want opinions here. An 18' boat, is probably going to have the stability needed for a married couple to fish side by side in our mid 60's. Also what is the main purpose of the center console boat?

Help! cannot figure out how to delete. Double post.

Last edited:

mike243

You can fight fish down either side without any problems, better balance if just 1 person in the boat,

fairchaser

Good luck finding any boat right now! They are scarcer than hens teeth and more expensive than Bitcoin.

BlackEagle1

If I were me and I was interested in a tin boat for crappie fishing the river I would bump on up to the 20 footer with a 15 degree hull. I ran an 18' with a 90 Suzuki for a year and swapped to 20' with a 150 Suzuki. I prefer side console over center or tiller setups. Those long runs and side scanning with a big tiller aren't real fun. Fairchaser is right on the lack of availability. I know of 2 guys waiting on new tin rigs and one of them is quickly approaching a year. There are more big mercury motors available than Japanese brands It seems.

waynesworld

I was thinking on selling my 18' Alumacraft may be more then you looking for I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. It is nice and deep with a lot of bells and whistle's I think when i looked it up it is worth over 20k but would look at making someone on here a deal. I have humming birds on front and drivers side with SI Mega. I also have 360 on back with extra batteries and a monitor on them. Trolling is terrova with the i-pilot have so many grand kids a pontoon my be what i need. PM me if you are interested.

Crow Terminator

Just a heads up, Mercury is having issues with the newer 4 strokes in the 50-75 hp range. Something to do with bad bearings sheering. Those are the size outboards they put on the most popular selling aluminum boats on the market and there's apparently a bunch that made it to customers.

Boats are for sure hard to find right now. You just about have to not be picky and are willing to take whatever you can find on a lot some place snd be willing to take long drives to find one....if you can find one at all. The boat dealers locally have looked like they aren't even open because the lots are bare.

TiminTN

Well, the replies have poured in since I checked here last, I thank you! I found a boat, maybe not big enough, but fit my budget, a 1652 Triton with 40-Evinrude, it has 2 Hummingbird electronics, Helix 5, lo and up front Helix 7. Minn Kota copilot 55# thrust. All bought new in 2019. Its clean as a pin. It also came with dual front seat hardware from EZ.T and extra seats.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Well, the replies have poured in since I checked here last, I thank you! I found a boat, maybe not big enough, but fit my budget, a 1652 Triton with 40-Evinrude, it has 2 Hummingbird electronics, Helix 5, lo and up front Helix 7. Minn Kota copilot 55# thrust. All bought new in 2019. Its clean as a pin. It also came with dual front seat hardware from EZ.T and extra seats.
Good for you. I didn't realize you already found a boat when I posted in your other post...good luck it sounds like you found what you were looking for. Post pics!!

TiminTN

Well, its in the works. Getting things ready!

Attachments

• 16210997066371410547563.jpg
    16210997066371410547563.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141

TiminTN

Andy, Andy, Andy. Thats an Evinrude bud!!
I am a huge Triton fan. DA, got to hear all about it, and went out and got his Triton. To me, nothing rides like one. I rode in DA's, and that proved to me they have it figured out. The one in the background may be eventually for sale. I bought it because I have 2 motors that work on a 15" transom a 9.9 Johnson, and a 3 cylinder 35 Johnson. Yamaha 25 came with the 1546 Triton. I paid up for that boat too. I have added stainless prop, and transom mount trolling bracket that fits the T rail.

Last edited:

Latest posts