• Help Support TNDeer:

Keto diet

TreyB

Pros and cons... mid 40s and need to lose some weight. 205 now but feel awful. Work 12 hour swing shifts. Have high BP so need to get it together.
Thanks in advance if anyone gives any info

cbhunter

Supporter
I never went on a serious keto diet but did base it around limiting carbs. This was a couple years ago but it definitely seemed to give me better results than counting calories. I did mix it in with walking/running. Like I said I never got really serious but did have luck trimming 12-15 lbs. Ruger was a prime example of loosing some pretty serious weight with the keto diet

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Pic IN the Casa

I lost 88lbs on it. A1C went from 7.1 to 5.5.
Pros- it works.
Cons- you better make sure you have food available to eat so you don't cheat on your carbs. This includes dessert foods.

Keto recipe Pinterest and Fb pages are your friends. They saved me from cheating A LOT!
There are plenty of keto fast food choices if you do your homework.

I broke 2 ribs in August and quit running. This, in turn, lead to sloppy eating. I gained 27lbs back but have lost 8 since Christmas now that I'm back on it without running.

Pic IN the Casa

I will add, don't forget your veggies.

And if you have a sweet tooth there's plenty of keto desserts out there to make.

clwg97

I work 12 hour swing shifts also and intermittent fasting works better for me. I limit my carbs but don’t go full keto. My shifts are 7-7 and I eat 10-6 or mostly 10-4. It works whether I am on days or nights.

Safari Hunt

The Keto Diet is basically the old Air Force Diet that came about in the early 60s. Supposed to have been developed at the Air Force Academy. I have been on it before and now. The carbie book I have was copyrighted in 1965. Basically, you limit your intake of sugar and starches. The AFD recommends a minimum of 30 grams and maximum of 60 grams of carbies per day. If you watch your carbie intake, it is OK to have a scoop of ice cream or a cookie, etc. Some diets are starvation diets and people will kill for a sweet bite. Virtually all packaged foods have the nutritional values listed. Plain meat is zero. Avoid breaded meats like chicken fingers, etc. Fresh veggies are best calculated by a book or online values of carbies. Sugar free pudding and gelatin make a good substitute for the sweet cravings. AMHIK!

T. J. Mercer

Atkins, Keto, whatever trendy next plan comes out ...
My experience was that if you're disciplined, they're great to shed the weight, but very difficult to maintain.

Honestly, I think it's better to teach yourself a healthy lifestyle that you can enjoy and not bemoan your diet. Here is mine:
1) drink half my body weight in ounces of water daily (if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 ounces of water),
2) avoid sweets and limit your bread intake,
3) learn your metabolism, figure out how many daily calories makes you burn or gain.

If you can do this and eat healthy, you'll have good energy, sleep well, have less joint pain, have good digestion, and feel good about yourself.
Your stomach (internally) will shrink over time, so your smaller appetite won't make you feel miserably hungry.
But the water is key.

Safari Hunt

My experience was that if you're disciplined, they're great to shed the weight, but very difficult to maintain.
Many of the programs as Weight Watchers, just sell you small portions. I was watching a c ommercial for one. The lady was eating a bowl of spaghetti that held about 1-1/2 cups which isn't a lot.
Easy to follow the AF Diet. It is very flexible compared to other diets. Drinking 100 ounces of water? For me that would be about 88 ounces. If you have an enlarged prostate as many of us do, you will be like the old commercial where the guy is towing a Porta-Potty behind his car.

pastorofgrace

I started keto 2.5 years ago. Lost a total of 75 lbs and have kept all of it off. I also started intermittent fasting at the same time and the next year I started 3 day a week HIIT workouts. Thankfully no cheat days or missed workouts. With God's help, I will not go back to the "standard American diet".

Last year my sons weight got over 300 lbs. He finally went to doctor. A1C 13.5 and blood sugar 350+. Of course doctor put him on insulin, metformin and Trulicity...at the same time I encouraged him to start keto. He did and in 6 months he lost 100 lbs and his A1C had dropped to 5.5 and blood sugar under 100. He is completely off all medicines. Several in our church have had great results as well.

IMHO this isn't something you try. It is a commitment. If you can get pass the first 3-4 days of carb withdrawals it becomes really easy. The best part for me...is not being hungry all the time. The fat you eat will satiate you and once you start losing weight and feeling so much better it's hard to stop because it works so well.

Dr. Berry, M.D is a great resource. You can find him on YouTube.

Good luck and God Bless!

Last edited:

dsa5455

I started Keto and added restricted meal windows. Generally I eat between 2pm-8 pm. I have lost at least 21 lbs in a couple of months with little to no exercise. My work schedule gets me home around 7:40 pm so that is why I set 8 pm. Sugar has gotten better. But it has not been the miraculous reset that I thought might come. I am still learning the do's and dont's of Keto. Taking in fat does seem to hold my cravings down. My You Tube recommendations are as follows: Dr. Eric Berg (Lots of good info from this guy). Also 2 fit doctors and Thomas Delauer who seems to be the most in shape of them all. It's interesting to note that most of these guys are Chiropractors and not Medical doctors. Including Dr. Berry.

pastorofgrace

More background information

Dr. Ken Berry, MD:
I am a Board Certified Family Physician and Fellow in The American Academy of Family Physicians. Dr. Berry graduated from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine in 2000. I have been practicing Family Medicine in rural Tennessee for over a decade, and have seen over 20,000 patients in my career so far.
email: [email protected]

Also Dr. Eric Westman, MD - Director of Duke University Ketogenic Diet Center

JCDEERMAN

I’ve never completely been on it, but did a lot of research for me FIL. He was really successful with it. I am always somewhat on it - basically just cut the carbs and sugar. Stick with meat and veggies

Blackbullet

Pros and cons... mid 40s and need to lose some weight. 205 now but feel awful. Work 12 hour swing shifts. Have high BP so need to get it together.
Thanks in advance if anyone gives any info
I work 12hr swing shift also. I've done/doing keto. Well, Started out low carb and progressed into keto. It works. 2-3 weeks into it, your cravings for sweets & breads will diminish. Its took about 5 year for me to go from 270lbs to 225. But I lapsed a bit. I'm 6'1" and big boned. Got down to 207lb but my wife said I looked to skinny/unhealthy. Low carb only got me to 240lb. I hit a wall but was able to maintain. Went a couple years like that. Then I started only eating 2 meals per day with only one meal some days. Now I hardly ever eat at work. I can maintain 220-225 this way and if I do it strictly keto along with it, I could get back down to 207lbs. The trick to my one or two meals a day is this: drink lots of water. At least 6-7, 16 ounce bottles per day. If you get hungry: drink water. If your still hungry drink some more water. If you are going to eat, drink 1-2, 16 ounce bottles of water before you eat. That way you feel full alot sooner. Most of the water I drink, I drink it at room temperature because it will hurt my stomach if it's too cold and I drink alot at one time. I will drink it cold with a meal.

GreyGoose

Do not know about Keto but due to an work accident back in 2019 and being bed ridden after two surgeries .My late wife cut back on my food intake and changed my eating habits,being bed ridden I started to eat better (having no choice because my fat *** couldn’t get up to eat when I wanted to). I have since continued to cut out a few things .Fast food,snack machines, bread ,sugar intake and started counting calories .Since my accident (2 years)I have lost 120 pounds and 10” in waist .I started going to the gym 5-6 days a week with at minimum of at least 30 minutes cardio each day.Drinking all the water that I can possibly daily seems to help tremendously I am not sure if I’m going about it the right way but eating a lot of baked chicken,salmon ,salads,vegetables ,reduced red meat and keeping a honest journal seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Blackbullet

When the weather is good, I like to walk outside alot. It's a big stress reliever because I don't really have to think about anything. I went from being able to walk 1.5 miles to 3 miles, then to 5 miles now to 7 miles in one session with as much effort as it original took to walk 1.5 miles. It's took me about two and a half years to progress. I don't try to burn it up really either. I just go at a pace I'm comfortable with but still feel like I've pushed it just a little bit. I lift some weights a little bit also. This is all very strange for me because I've never been a fitness freak and still don't consider myself one. But I have felt so bad over the years from eating bad and working shift work & midnights that to actually feel good is amazing. I actually like walking and lifting weights cause it gives me something to look forward to, it doesn't cost anything and I feel like I am improving myself. I still got a lot to improve on thought 😂. My biggest suggestions is not to try and do it over night. This has been a 6 to 7 year thing for me. An average person would probably look like a body builder by now and I'm still just average but the point is that I did it at my own pace and didn't try something that seemed like it was unachievable. I haven't burned out. I started out by eating better and losing weight. I haven't been exercising but about 3 years. I took a lot of baby steps. But you've got to start somewhere. Don't beat up on yourself when you eat bad or don't exercise. Just eventually get back on that horse to ride it again. My biggest help( other than my faith in Jesus and that is the most important thing of any decision that can be made) to all of this has been drinking enough water. That helped me more that anything. Most folks don't drink enough water. 6 to 7, 16 ounce bottles of water per day after a couple of days will make you feel like a new person by itself. Best not to drink it cold either, just cool or room temperature. Vitamin D along with some vitamin k to help absorb the vitamin d will really help by leaps and bounds and put you in a better mood also. That's my second biggest help. 1000-5000 ui per day of vitamin d. My mood is 10 times better since I started taking vitamin taking vitamin D

RUGER

Supporter
I started it a couple, maybe 3 years ago and yes it works.
Only real con for me was all the sausage and bacon I was eating raised my cholesterol.

I lost somewhere around 65 pounds in about a year on it.
The first 20 were like really fast, then I tried to average 1 pound per week.
I coupled it with alot of time on the treadmill.
I say alot, I was doing about 2 miles per day, 5 days per week.

Over the last year or so I have slipped off it and have picked back up about 25 pounds of what I lost.
Planning on getting that back off, along with an additional 15-20 this year.

Blackbullet

Like Ruger said, the first bit of weight usually comes off pretty easily if you stay strick with the diet for a long while. I think most people hit a wall that's hard to get over. I stayed at that wall for a while (a couple years) and couldn't lose anymore. My gallbladder went out and had to have it removed. This actually helped me get past that wall cause I lost about 15 pounds during that & changed my appetite for a long time. Along with drinking lots of water, glutamine powder in water can really make you you feel like you are not hungary.

JeepKuntry

I had good results a couple years ago. But I love some carbs so eventually I started eating a few here and there. I still try to watch carbs, but my intake volume has been way to high. And I haven't done much exercising. Keto definitely worked but it was tough for my family. That meant we cooked 3 separate meals essentially since the wife didn't like keto and our youngest has some food allergies.

Latest posts