Kerry Gold butter

WTM

some was recommending this butter a while back so i bought a pack to try. i like it but was disappointed and i guess i was expecting too much in the way that fresh churned jersey cow milk that i used to churn as a kid. i also miss the buttermilk that was left over after the butter was scooped out, nothing like the cultured crap they sell in stores.

i like the flavor of this butter, a slight nuance flavor of home churned butter with the soft creaminess that goes along with it. a notch above the crystal farms butter i have been using and at $2.88 a pack at wal-mart i went back and bought several bars and threw them in the freezer for later use. fyi, butter will keep for 12 months in a freezer without any changes to its composition or flavor.

TAFKAP

I'm sure there's little commercially available butter that's halfway comparable to home-churned. But compared to the plastic grocery store stuff, it's a substantial difference. We buy it at Costco for about $7.50 per 3-lb package I think....might be 4.5lbs, I can't remember. It's (3) slabs of Kerrygold.

Pennywise67

TAFKAP":opdffcfw said:
I'm sure there's little commercially available butter that's halfway comparable to home-churned. But compared to the plastic grocery store stuff, it's a substantial difference. We buy it at Costco for about $7.50 per 3-lb package I think....might be 4.5lbs, I can't remember. It's (3) slabs of Kerrygold.

I actually just got home from Costco where we buy it also. Its a 1.5lb pack (3 x 8oz) for $7.50. I could of swore they used to be bigger packs though.

Larry

WTM

yeah im thinking that the pasteurization kills whatever was in the milk that gave it that tangy flavor. the way i remember it she would let it sit out a while and chill it a bit in the fridge. the milk and cream would seperate and she scooped the cream off the top and bottle the milk. i think it took 3 pails of milk to get enough cream to churn. id churn it like a madman and it didnt take very long. she would scoop out the butter, rinse it and then fold it with a spoon and press out the water. she would bottle the buttermilk that was left in the churn and it wasnt like the sour stuff you buy in the store.

maybe it was the way she let it sit out a while that gave it that flavor, but none of us kids ever got sick from it or the milk and i drank A Bunch of it. i was making us for lost time i guess because i was allergic to milk until about 5 or 6 years old. let me tell you, SOY MILK SUX IN CEREAL.

WTM

after doing some reading on the subject it appears that my grandmother used to make what is called "naturally cultured butter" whether intentionally or unintentionally and the "sweet cream" butter is made with fresh cream immediately after milking.

there are recipes for making this type of butter and i may try and see if i can make some.

Mike Belt

Years ago I worked at Cedar Grove Dairy which was eventually bought out by Turner Milk. When we delivered the milk/cream/etc was always dated. We'd have to pick up a lot of it that was expired or about to but still good. The dairy let us have it and we'd bring it home. The bad stuff went to the hogs. The good stuff we'd keep. We were always getting enough to churn. We developed an easy method of churning. We had a mini basket that we could place in our washing machine. We'd pour it in and turn it on without the water turned on. When it ran it's cycle we'd have butter that we pressed and froze.

WTM

Mike Belt":18islyb5 said:
Years ago I worked at Cedar Grove Dairy which was eventually bought out by Turner Milk. When we delivered the milk/cream/etc was always dated. We'd have to pick up a lot of it that was expired or about to but still good. The dairy let us have it and we'd bring it home. The bad stuff went to the hogs. The good stuff we'd keep. We were always getting enough to churn. We developed an easy method of churning. We had a mini basket that we could place in our washing machine. We'd pour it in and turn it on without the water turned on. When it ran it's cycle we'd have butter that we pressed and froze.

lol thats a bunch of butter.

WTM

waterman":mxvd6que said:
bought some at Kroger today. $4.99 for 8 oz. I hope its worth it but then again if it is as good as people say this could get expensive!

my local walmart has it for 2.88. im stocking up so ill have plenty when they raise the price again.

GMB54

Never tried their butter but their 2yr old vintage cheddar is excellent and cheap for a imported cheddar of that quality.

Latest posts