Kentucky Elk

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
My friends son drew and killed a nice bull last year in KY. From our many discussion on the subject. Many believe KY elk hunting is not what it has been in the past. I was in contact him daily during the hunt. He hired a guide and they all worked their tale off trying to find his son an elk. So if you have never been and want to give yourself the best chance I would certainly try to find and hire a guide.

backyardtndeer

Congratulations. If this is a hunt of a lifetime for you, find a good guide. Even if you think you may get more chances at elk, would still seriously consider paying a guide.

VolsMadness

An update here for everyone.

I contacted Lost Mountain and they didn't have a spot for me after units were assigned (I didn't receive any of the regulated areas they wanted me to put in for). They told me to contact another guiding service they recommend and I haven't been able to get the guy to call me back for 8+ weeks. I've contacted him via email twice and he's said he will call me, but hasn't.

Because of that, it looks like I'll be hunting with a good friend who guides elk hunts in Colorado, but has no experience in KY. I'll be in unit 6 and have started calling WMAs to try to get information on the elk herds in those WMAs. I've had to leave voicemails for the only two WMAs in that unit, so that's somewhat disappointing. I'm going to give it my best shot, but don't have nearly as much confidence now without an experienced elk guide (for that location).

Antler Daddy

I would say you are doing fine. Having a guide friend helps. Area 6 is way up there, Do you live close by?

If I were to draw, I would try my best to make friends with public land managers in the area. I would see if you could get names of hunters that had that area in past (public record). Some might like to be your guide just for the experience again. There are only so many tags. Hunting while bugling can be addictive to people.

I would try to hook up with a YouTuber that wants to hunt elk in KY to improve their hits. Possibly use their resources for help.

I'm one of those guys that would volunteer to go on a rifle hunt just for the experience. But, too busy at this time.

VolsMadness

I would say you are doing fine. Having a guide friend helps. Area 6 is way up there, Do you live close by?

If I were to draw, I would try my best to make friends with public land managers in the area. I would see if you could get names of hunters that had that area in past (public record). Some might like to be your guide just for the experience again. There are only so many tags. Hunting while bugling can be addictive to people.

I would try to hook up with a YouTuber that wants to hunt elk in KY to improve their hits. Possibly use their resources for help.

I'm one of those guys that would volunteer to go on a rifle hunt just for the experience. But, too busy at this time.
I don't live close by (in middle TN), but am leaving this afternoon to get there and scout both days this weekend. Trying to find local contacts who can help me out any way possible. It's a five hour drive to where I'm staying, so it'll be a long weekend. It's also an archery hunt, which makes it tougher, but have also heard they're way more fun if you can get on some elk. What YouTube people do you think I should reach out to? The only one's I really ever watch are the Hunting Public guys.

turk870

I don't live close by (in middle TN), but am leaving this afternoon to get there and scout both days this weekend. Trying to find local contacts who can help me out any way possible. It's a five hour drive to where I'm staying, so it'll be a long weekend. It's also an archery hunt, which makes it tougher, but have also heard they're way more fun if you can get on some elk. What YouTube people do you think I should reach out to? The only one's I really ever watch are the Hunting Public guys.
I know Meateater has an episode where he chased them in KY. Maybe look into Corey Jacobson and Randy Newburg they hunt out west but they are entertaining and knowledgeable.

Antler Daddy

Well, at this point, I guess many youtubers have thier seasons planned. You would have to just google and search YouTube for some. Then again, maybe some would be in KY bowhunting deer and trade a couple days for the opportunity to tag along filming and calling.

Have you been hanging out at Kentuckyhunting.net forum? There have to be people with knowledge that don't have a tag, but would like to "hunt". Heck, the Born and Raised team sometimes have 4 or 5 guys on a hunt supporting a guy. I've noticed that a bugle and cow caller behind the hunter several yards can be really effective.

If I had some more time and just a bit better shape, I would buy a camera and beg to go with you! I have put in for those KY hunts since year one? 1999? I've got the patches to prove it somewhere because everyone used to get a patch for applying. I've driven around the coal place in Hazard glassing the elk. Never been to the area that you are assigned.

Catman....you know any tubers looking for hits?

I bet there is some kid from East KY in college studying fish and wildlife that would just about die for the opportunity.

The great thing about archery is either sex and the bulls will be bugling in mid-late September. You just got to find some.

Nothing wrong with hooking up with another elk archery hunter as well. It is just these tags are basically once in a lifetime for the most part.

Latest posts