Kentucky Elk Hunting

VolsMadness

Hi guys, I was drawn for the archery (either sex) elk hunt in Kentucky for this upcoming fall. I've never been elk hunting and know I have a lot of information to learn, but does anyone here have any advice or knowledge that would be useful to me?

I know there is another section to this forum or hunting other than deer, but it doesn't get as much traffic as this section. A mod can delete this thread if it clutters up the board.

VolsMadness

Also, if any of you know anyone who is either from the area or has been able to hunt elk in Eastern KY, I'd love to have a short conversation with them

DoubleRidge

Congrats!! If I had any experience in the area I'd share....I logged in a moment ago after multiple attempts and finally got through to see results....I did not draw either tag I put in for.....do some homework and if possible take a trip up before the hunt to become familiar with the area....good luck!!

VolsMadness

I've contacted Lost Mountain Outfitters and they've consistently been the guide that's been brought up over any other outfitters. After thinking it over and doing more research since yesterday, I'm thinking I'll probably use an outfitter to make sure I have the highest chance of success. I had less than a 1 of 700 chance of getting drawn, so it's extremely unlikely I'll ever get drawn for it again.

Antler Daddy

I probably would not use an outfitter without a bull tag, but I never put in for the cows anyway.

Here is an idea. So some research and make contact with some folks that have drawn and hunted. Chances are that they will never be drawn again. They might just volunteer to assist.

Antler Daddy

Here's some free advice for what it's worth.

A lot of youtubers are looking for good content. Why wouldn't they not want to tag along Scouting, filming and just being involved in the hunt? The Pinhoti guy can waive other hunters off if they get on your herd.

Tagging along is almost as good as the actual kill.

Ol’Brows

Hi guys, I was drawn for the archery (either sex) elk hunt in Kentucky for this upcoming fall. I've never been elk hunting and know I have a lot of information to learn, but does anyone here have any advice or knowledge that would be useful to me?

I know there is another section to this forum or hunting other than deer, but it doesn't get as much traffic as this section. A mod can delete this thread if it clutters up the board.

I would contact Hurley Combs with Lost Mountain Outfitters and go with them. The hunting isn't as good as it once was over there. The elk numbers are way down and the days of seeing big bulls from the roads are done. If you live fairly local and have plenty of time to scout and some friends/family in the area that might be able to help scout for you or get you on some good private land doing it on your own may be the way to go. If not go with LMO if you can, they are the best around.

knightrider

I've contacted Lost Mountain Outfitters and they've consistently been the guide that's been brought up over any other outfitters. After thinking it over and doing more research since yesterday, I'm thinking I'll probably use an outfitter to make sure I have the highest chance of success. I had less than a 1 of 700 chance of getting drawn, so it's extremely unlikely I'll ever get drawn for it again.
If you actually want to fill your tag and do not have access to a private farm this is your best chance!!

Latest posts