Kayaking

Tenntrapper

Since we inherited a kayak, my wife made me go buy another one...so the daughter wouldn't be out there alone. I argued that I didn't want one...just bought a new boat less than 2 years ago...but I lost the argument.

We tried them out this evening..got a couple questions..

1) what are those things than came on her paddle? They seem to keep water from running all over you...I got soaked. They are some doughnut looking thing that deflects water.

2) Am I supposed to have a man bun when on this thing? I don't have enough hair..but can maybe improvise...maybe an extra doughnut thing.. 😂

3) what is the best way to haul them? Today, we just strapped them on a small utility trailer. Seemed to work fine.

My plan is to use these in the river..when the dam isn't generating. Anyone ever do that? Suggestions?

Actually, we are completely new to this. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and we plan to fish from them..maybe hook into some of @gasmans big flatheads... 😂

Rackseeker

Sounds like you have it figured out. LOL... The proper paddling technique will keep the water off of you. Its a good thing a man bun isn't required to kayak because I don't have enough hair on my whole body to have one. Landing big fish is tricky unless your kayak is wide and stable. Mine is a cheaper one but has been a good one.

ImThere

They’re water drip rings and they work.
They sell them at Walmart or most sports stores that sell kayaks
No man bun needed we love our kayaks
Trailers are great
Just two I would just put in the back of my truck we haul 5 of them on my trailer.

Grainger

Supporter
1) Kayak paddle Drip Guards, $2-3 online, might be able to purchase at WallyWorld

2) Man-Bun required for all kayakers who identify as male, along with River Sandals and a couple of ear gauges--don't let TWRA catch you without 'em.

3) Trailer works well, better than tryna' "car top" them. I have an old boat trailer I modified a bit to haul my canoe around.

Crow Terminator

Having the right length paddle will help you not get soaked too. If you have a wide kayak like the sit on top styles are, you will need a longer paddle than what you will commonly find in big box stores. There are formula charts for finding the paddle size you need...most of the time it’s your torso length and kayak width they use.

The utility trailer or jet ski trailer is what most people use that use them a lot. Loading a heavy fishing kayak in and out of the truck bed gets old after a while. You’ll eventually get tired of having to empty it and reload it, then empty it again when you load back up. A trailer makes that a little easier on ya.

eddie c

I just bought one 2 weeks ago. I did a lot of YouTube watching over the winter. Getting ready for my 5th time out. I'm 60, overweight and slightly cumbersome. Done flipped myself getting on 3 times.😁
I got a nucanoe F10 since I can't get up and down easily ( bad knees). To me it's challenging. May be a flute, I'm 5# lighter. Excerise is one reason I got it, gym is getting boring.
I got access to a private 20 acre lake. I use my fitness watch to track and do a mile paddle then slow down a pick up the fishing rod. A good bluegill or bass will pull you.

What Crow said about the paddles is spot on. I bought the paddle first while on sale, getting an adjustable out to 260 cm based on size recommendations for a certain yak then changed my mind on the yak and wish I had gotten a 280. A experienced yak fisherman pointed out my 260 should be fine, I probably just need to work on my paddling technique.

Last edited:

moondawg

I've had a kayak for the past 5 years. Had a 10' kayak with a molded seat that wasn't all that comfortable. Ended upgrading in 2019 to a 12' kayak with a stadium type seat which is much more comfortable.

1. Those are drip rings that keep water from dripping down the paddle, and helps keep your hands dry. Operative word: help.

2. Man bun optional. Or be awesome like me and don't have a man bun, but have a beard instead. 😁 But seriously, I'd recommend a brimmed hat if you're out on the water. Helps keep your ears and neck from getting sunburned. And the front of the hat helps keep the sun off your face.

3. I always hauled mine in the bed of my truck. Since I downgraded from an F-150 to a Nissan Frontier, it sticks out a little more. But it works just the same. I tie it down with marine grade rope and attach an inexpensive orange hunter's vest at the end for visibility.

Enjoy your kayak! I love mine!

Crow Terminator

I just bought one 2 weeks ago. I did a lot of YouTube watching over the winter. Getting ready for my 5th time out. I'm 60, overweight and slightly cumbersome. Done flipped myself getting on 3 times.😁
I got a nucanoe F10 since I can't get up and down easily ( bad knees). To me it's challenging. May be a flute, I'm 5# lighter. Excerise is one reason I got it, gym is getting boring.
I got access to a private 20 acre lake. I use my fitness watch to track and do a mile paddle then slow down a pick up the fishing rod. A good bluegill or bass will pull you.

What Crow said about the paddles is spot on. I bought the paddle first while on sale, getting an adjustable out to 260 cm based on size recommendations for a certain yak then changed my mind on the yak and wish I had gotten a 280. A experienced yak fisherman pointed out my 260 should be fine, I probably just need to work on my paddling technique.
Yep, a 260 should be fine. A lot of the ones in box stores are just 220ish.

If you are in a sit on top, bring sunscreen! The worst I have ever been sunburned in recent 20 years or so was in my kayak. My legs swelled so big you couldn’t see my knees. I couldn’t walk for about 2 days.

Snake

Supporter
Since we inherited a kayak, my wife made me go buy another one...so the daughter wouldn't be out there alone. I argued that I didn't want one...just bought a new boat less than 2 years ago...but I lost the argument.

We tried them out this evening..got a couple questions..

1) what are those things than came on her paddle? They seem to keep water from running all over you...I got soaked. They are some doughnut looking thing that deflects water.

2) Am I supposed to have a man bun when on this thing? I don't have enough hair..but can maybe improvise...maybe an extra doughnut thing.. 😂

3) what is the best way to haul them? Today, we just strapped them on a small utility trailer. Seemed to work fine.

My plan is to use these in the river..when the dam isn't generating. Anyone ever do that? Suggestions?

Actually, we are completely new to this. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and we plan to fish from them..maybe hook into some of @gasmans big flatheads... 😂
Yeah a man bun would very proper but get some pics please :rolleyes:

eddie c

Yep, a 260 should be fine. A lot of the ones in box stores are just 220ish.

If you are in a sit on top, bring sunscreen! The worst I have ever been sunburned in recent 20 years or so was in my kayak. My legs swelled so big you couldn’t see my knees. I couldn’t walk for about 2 days.
Sunscreen is a must for me. Dad has so many scars from having different types of skin cancer removed it scares me. Some areas they cut have reoccurrence. I've gotten used to thin long sleeves and fishing pants with zip off legs. I've had B-cell taken off my back.

Laserman1

I took 2 4x4’s and bolt them to my trailer. Covered them with green astroturf. 5x8 trailer holds 2 kayaks and 2 paddle boards now. Takes 5 min to remove supports for at hauling
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Mag

My Wife and I have had Kayaks for several years. Everyone figures out their way of handling them for transport etc. When we bought ours we spent time in a small cove where the water was calm so we could get comfortable. Like anything else, knowing your equipment and comfort level is important. The last thing you want to do is panic if you get dumped. My Wife had a close call in a running river when she tipped and was pulled up to a downed tree, the current was trying to pull her under but thankfully she remained calm until help arrived.

Latest posts