Kayak accident

Crow Terminator

Hiwassee is one of those rivers that looks lazy and easy going but you’ll find yourself in trouble very fast. Especially if you’re not familiar with how much water they are running at the dam. It can go from shin deep to 10’ deep in just a step.

jb3

Been down the HR river several times and there are areas of the river that make me nervous. There are so many areas to get stuck and I see to many people getting out downstream of their raft or kayak trying to get it loose or between it and a boulder. Knowing the correct lines on that river is a must.

cowhunter71

Must of happened right there around Quinn Springs. Seen a bunch of hubbub around there yesterday evening on my way up river to catch bait. Moving water is dangerous, whether it is free flowing, generated, wind driven, or tidal, that is a sure 'nuff fact. Couple that with the "circus" that gathers on that river every weekend in the summer, and it is bound to happen.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
I've be involved in a couple of incidents on slow moving rivers that could have been deadly. I've seen kayaks pulled into or under fallen trees and I've seen the power that even slow moving water can have. The Hydraulics in effect are not always obvious or visible until it's too late.

Prayers for that family. I can't imagine the pain they are suffering today. :(

The article doesn't say if the teen had on a life jacket. But I assume not.

Rakkin6

I only use my Kayak on smaller bodies of water. Just my preference but places lake Kentucky Lake etc. on the weekends are crazy.

Hduke86

So sad and a tragedy, i wondered about the life jacket deal if one was worn or not. I’ve about been stuck in a “strainer” a tree out on the water or some other object before and it’s not a good feeling.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I helped an out of state couple about this time last year on the Hiwassee. I was driving my pickup on the way out just past the rock wall and saw a couple in two kayak's. She was out of her kayak rapidly floating down the river with her head barely above the water and almost completely slipped out of her life jacket. The man was trying to retrieve her kayak and her at the same time. I got ahead of them downstream and was able to pluck her out of the water in a bend in the river. I helped them out of the water along with both kayaks and drove the female back to the place where they rented the kayaks. She was exhausted, cold, and completely out of breath and terrified. They were celebrating their anniversary.

Prayers to the family involved in the drowning. I have fished the Hiwassee many times and those currents are no joke.

CATCHDAWG

Such a sad situation, prayers for the family and everyone involved. 15 is way to young. The Hiawassee is a pretty tame river, especially in the area this took place. However, most of the rocks are undercut on the upstream side and the current is strong. I didn’t see if he was wearing a life jacket or not but even if he was and he got in a undercut or tree, the river will win. Don’t underestimate current!

Jmed

Stay to the "river left" on the hiwassee. Ive never heard an outfitter not tell clients that on the river.