k-9 seizures

taximan

Anybody ever dealt with them? At 1 this morning i woke up to my bassett falling off the bed. wife screamed and i jumped up. dog was trying to run and didn't go rigid but instead flopped like a fish on the deck of a boat...only thing i knew to do was hold her still. wife called vet right away and he said seizures weren't all that uncommon. i don't know long the seizure lasted. it was a blurr

TeamMainStreet

Have you given the dog any kind of medication like heartwormer or anything? I had a coonhound pup that started having seizures about 5 hours after giving her a heartworm preventative. She had them from then on and they were violent. Ended up having her put down.

jb3

I know some generic medications (flea/tick stuff, heartworm, etc...) can cause medical conditions in some pets. It may be cheaper, but it's not worth it.

Hardwoodmaterials

My wife's Weiner dog has seizures. She started having them at about 18 months old and shes 14 years old now. The vet told us it was fairly common in pure breed dogs. We tried to control them with meds but it didn't work. What controlled them the best for our dog was feeding her a good meat based feed without all the corn filler in it. We feed the 4 Health from TSC and she does great on it. She might have a seizure once every month or two. If we swap her to a cheaper grain based feed like Pedigree or Dog Chow she will have multiple seizures a week!

Diehard Hunter

I had a dog that had seizures on a regular basis. The medication can make them zombies, they just lay around and gain weight. We chose not to medicate her. When she had a seizure, we would let her have it, and try to remove anything that might hurt her. If she ended up trapped on her back between furniture or anything, we would move whatever had her trapped so she would be on her side.

It is extremely scary and heartbreaking to watch, but there is not a lot that can be done.

Woodchuck

One of my Labs has one occasionally. He started having them when he was around 2. He's 10 now and thankfully they haven't gotten any more frequent as he's gotten older. Like Diehard Hunter we chose not to medicate and just talk him through it when it happens. It is tough to watch.

TNDeerGuy

My 9-year old Lab has had them occasionally since he was three�I call it his built in hyperactivity motor is doing a system update. :) When he has them, we just clear everything around him and make sure to support his body/head as much as we can and talk and love on him during the "update". Our vet said it isn't worth the changes that will occur under medication for such rare events.

Latest posts