JUVENILE AND SENIOR CITIZEN HUNT (80 YEARS OLD AND OLDER)

dsam

Attention all Hunters,
What does everyone think about having hunters 80 years and older included for the juvenile hunt periods? Think about this way. Older hunters need someone in most cases with them when they hunt. To get to their hunting location and help loading a deer Just like the juvenile hunters do. Many years ago I remember him humping me up the ridges in Smith County and Dad laughing at me since he could do it easily and now he cannot make it up at all unless in a ATV/Vehicle, then needs help getting in a shoot house or blind.

TWRA is one the best wildlife managed programs for juveniles, disabled hunters and seniors out there and with enough steam maybe we can present this to them and possibly a law change (New Bill) to include them during those times. Please respond and If I believe we have the support I will personally present this to the TWRA and Congressional leaders in our state. The more hits on this thread the better. Thanks!

Semper Fi! Don

TheLBLman

Why add yet even more "special interests" and complications to our deer hunting regulations?

If we really need to lengthen the season, and/or increase the deer kill, why not increase it for everybody?

Many of the "special" provisions also offer "special" opportunities for illegal abuse, sometimes "rewarding" the dishonest more than the eligible persons for the special privileges. That should always be weighed in the decision making.

I would imagine overall, there might be more deer killed by younger hunters (over 16), but tele-checked in as a "legal" kill on their 80-yr-old dad's or granddad's license?

Seeing how few seniors currently deer hunt late season, there certainly doesn't appear to be any widespread demand for a post-season special senior deer hunt. Similar can be said about the post-season juvenile hunt, which I continue to question as to whether it is overall doing more harm than good.

BobbyII

Attention all Hunters,
What does everyone think about having hunters 80 years and older included for the juvenile hunt periods? Think about this way. Older hunters need someone in most cases with them when they hunt. To get to their hunting location and help loading a deer Just like the juvenile hunters do. Many years ago I remember him humping me up the ridges in Smith County and Dad laughing at me since he could do it easily and now he cannot make it up at all unless in a ATV/Vehicle, then needs help getting in a shoot house or blind.

TWRA is one the best wildlife managed programs for juveniles, disabled hunters and seniors out there and with enough steam maybe we can present this to them and possibly a law change (New Bill) to include them during those times. Please respond and If I believe we have the support I will personally present this to the TWRA and Congressional leaders in our state. The more hits on this thread the better. Thanks!

Semper Fi! Don
I'm 72 years old and still hunt by myself quite often, although not by choice. I'm in total agreement with adding a senior hunt along with the youth hunts and would even support seniors age 75 & older !! I feel like this would be a good thing for those of us that have more hunting seasons behind us than we have ahead of us. You have my full support.

jemo4570

I believe this would be abused by unethical hunters checking in deer with their dad's license just like they do with their kid's license.
Having lost lease land a couple years ago, I only have public land to hunt. I would never take my 85 year old dad there because of too many hunters and some men that "claim" and even defend a section of a WMA like its their own property.
I would be in favor of opening WMA's to juvi/senior hunts when all other hunting is closed. At least it could be somewhat controlled and every nut in the area is not out there.

Bone Collector

I would imagine overall, there might be more deer killed by younger hunters (over 16), but tele-checked in as a "legal" kill on their 80-yr-old dad's or granddad's license?
At first when I started reading your post, I thought, why does everyone have to be so negative. Then I got to the above statement and remember a older guy I ran into in Academy sports a while ago. We started shooting the breeze about hunting and he told me how he had a high fenced place a long time ago, but it got to be too much work. He then told me he now has about 1000 acres in Maury county at his disposal that is just private land and he and his grandson hunted it. Later in the conversation, he said, "my grandson likes shooting them more than me, so the way I see it is he has 2 tags and I have 2 tags, so we have 4 tags he can use." I didn't say anything to him, but I thought, this dude better be glad I am not with the TWRA.... I couldn't believe he said it out loud to a random stranger.

Yeah this could and probably would happen.

tnanh

I am not for it or against it but why should we set any regulation based on who might cheat? Every hunting and fishing regulation that exist has the possibility that some may cheat.

PalsPal

I am not for it or against it but why should we set any regulation based on who might cheat? Every hunting and fishing regulation that exist has the possibility that some may cheat.

Exactly.

My dad turned 80 last November. He killed two bucks this past season.

One positive to allow them to hunt that early juvenile weekend would be the weather. Some older folks might not hunt when it gets really cold, so this could give them an extra opportunity. I see no legitimate downside.

TheLBLman

Opinions seem to vary greatly.
IMO, we should entirely do away with the post-season winter juvenile hunt.
I believe it does more overall harm than good.
And same for the idea of allowing senior citizens to also hunt in a post-season "special" privilege.

We have a very long deer season in Tennessee.
Enough is enough.

Latest posts