Food Plots Just waiting on rain

BSK

I hate waiting on the right rains for fall planting. Some years we're lucky and have multiple tropical systems come up from the Gulf in August. So far, long-range models show no sustained precipitation across western TN for the next 15 days. :mad:

JCDEERMAN

August and September are so tricky and I hate trying to time it just right too. I'm trying to get our wheat and brassicas drilled in to our existing fields before Labor Day weekend, because I'll be in CO for 2 weeks. Plan on planting our new fields after that 2 week CO trip in rye and crimson (but that's just spreading and disking). Oh and the FIL wants me to help with his plots in E TN. Not to mention trying to squeeze in a couple evening velvet hunts. Everything escalates quickly in August!

tnanh

I worry more about EHD during extended droughts. Another EHD hit in Perry County and some of the surrounding counties would devastate the slight rebound it has made since the summer of 2019. It may not would recover.

JCDEERMAN

I worry more about EHD during extended droughts. Another EHD hit in Perry County and some of the surrounding counties would devastate the slight rebound it has made since the summer of 2019. It may not would recover.
I know we've talked about the 2019 ehd outbreak quite a bit. What are you seeing in your area this year? I am seeing quite a few healthy fawns. Also finally seeing some descent bucks. First good ones we've had on camera during the summer since 2018. Very encouraging!

tnanh

I know we've talked about the 2019 ehd outbreak quite a bit. What are you seeing in your area this year? I am seeing quite a few healthy fawns. Also finally seeing some descent bucks. First good ones we've had on camera during the summer since 2018. Very encouraging!
I have gotten one good buck on camera and several big groups of does. one camera where I see the most buck pictures is not working right now. Just concerned we may have a late outbreak with extended heat and drought. I was there this weekend to spray my plots and had a heavy rain Saturday night and a threat of rain all day yesterday so the rain was a good sign just didn't get my plots sprayed. Have not gotten any fawn photos yet.

BSK

Thankfully, we weren't hit as hard in eastern Humphreys County in 2019 as Perry and Hickman were. But we are definitely seeing a surge in population. I think the worst of the heat has broken, but I too worry about dry conditions in August. Heat and drought in August are a bad combination for EHD outbreaks.

BSK

Went ahead and sprayed my plots yesterday. Some will still have RR soybeans, but I wanted to knock down the weeds and grasses. But I'm still waiting on a good double rain in the forecast for planting (one rain to soften the soil for tilling/planting, and the second rain to aid in germination and early growth).

JCDEERMAN

Went ahead and sprayed my plots yesterday. Some will still have RR soybeans, but I wanted to knock down the weeds and grasses. But I'm still waiting on a good double rain in the forecast for planting (one rain to soften the soil for tilling/planting, and the second rain to aid in germination and early growth).
I thought about spraying this weekend. I've got the next 3 weekends to spray and plant our existing plots. The new plots will be planted in September and October (rye and crimson) so I'm not worried about them. But I'm wanting to get the brassicas in soon on those existing plots! I hate the gambling game this time of year

BSK

Unfortunately, I'm seeing nothing promising in the long-range models. We'll have to see about these possible tropical systems coming across the Atlantic right now. You never know with those things, and the models are pretty bad at predicting their movements.

Pioneer1789

I have spraying to do hopefully before all the rain gets here. Then I'll be putting out fall blend. Might top seed with winter rye in September depending on how the plots look.

BSK

Still watching this weekend. Possible storms Saturday and Sunday. May go out just in the hopes of rain so I can jump on tilling/planting as soon as the rain stops. And if it doesn't rain, I still have things to do: check every strap on every ladder stand, replace burlap around 2-person ladders, etc.

JCDEERMAN

Still watching this weekend. Possible storms Saturday and Sunday. May go out just in the hopes of rain so I can jump on tilling/planting as soon as the rain stops. And if it doesn't rain, I still have things to do: check every strap on every ladder stand, replace burlap around 2-person ladders, etc.
It's never ending. I need to check our ratchet straps as well. Never look forward to that process. I typically do all the easy access stands no problem, but the more secluded ones.....sad to admit, but in past years, I have just gone in to hunt a stand and brought an extra ratchet strap with me to put on the stand before I step in it. Then re-doing/securing the setup on the climb down.

I will be in E TN this weekend with my FIL taking stands down on a lease he lost. He also mentioning planting a few plots and is adamant about it. I guess I will be doing some planting and hoping for a few showers

Latest posts