Food Plots Just waiting on rain

BSK

It's never ending.
Always a lot to do in prep for deer season, but this year has been a doozy! Built an addition on our cabin. Had to have the whole family fly in from across the country for that. Then we planted 3,000 pines in some of our new timber cut areas (during the wettest week of the year). Had to have the whole family fly in for that. Just finished erecting four new condo towers and moving 25 ladder stands. Had to have the whole family fly in for that! And on the hottest week of the year too. Put in summer plots for the first time in years. Took me weeks to get it all done by myself. About to do fall plots. Will take probably a week for that. Check stand straps, replace burlap, bush-hog old roads, check and move cameras... It never ends.

JCDEERMAN

Always a lot to do in prep for deer season, but this year has been a doozy! Built an addition on our cabin. Had to have the whole family fly in from across the country for that. Then we planted 3,000 pines in some of our new timber cut areas (during the wettest week of the year). Had to have the whole family fly in for that. Just finished erecting four new condo towers and moving 25 ladder stands. Had to have the whole family fly in for that! And on the hottest week of the year too. Put in summer plots for the first time in years. Took me weeks to get it all done by myself. About to do fall plots. Will take probably a week for that. Check stand straps, replace burlap, bush-hog old roads, check and move cameras... It never ends.
Definitely sounds like a doozy! But it all pays off. I'd rather be doing that stuff than anything else. Please keep us apprised on the weather. I am hoping to plant our existing plots the weekend of 8/21 or 8/28.

BSK

Wow, certain seed is REALLY hard to find! Visited six different Co-ops yesterday trying to find all the seed I need for fall. Finally had to have my local Co-op order it for me from their main warehouse in La Vergne. Would have been nice if any of the other co-ops would have offered that possibility!

JCDEERMAN

Wow, certain seed is REALLY hard to find! Visited six different Co-ops yesterday trying to find all the seed I need for fall. Finally had to have my local Co-op order it for me from their main warehouse in La Vergne. Would have been nice if any of the other co-ops would have offered that possibility!
No kidding. I call the Franklin, Fairview, Dickson and Centerville Co-op twice a week and they still don't have what I'm looking for (cereal rye and rape). Already found and purchased wheat and crimson. I've called them so much I feel like I need to try to change my voice so they don't think I'm crazy calling all the time 🤣

BSK

No kidding. I call the Franklin, Fairview, Dickson and Centerville Co-op twice a week and they still don't have what I'm looking for (cereal rye and rape). Already found and purchased wheat and crimson. I've called them so much I feel like I need to try to change my voice so they don't think I'm crazy calling all the time 🤣
I know none of those co-ops have cereal rye, because I visited every one of those Co-ops yesterday and bought all their odd bags of cereal rye they had laying around! Ended up with 5 bags. More ordered. Found zero bags of Buckwheat. That's been ordered too.

BSK

But it does make me wonder, why in all the years I've been going to Co-ops to buy seed (or be told they don't have any of what I want) has not a single employee EVER said, "Let me check the inventory in the main warehouse. I'll order it and it will be here Friday"? Until yesterday.

JCDEERMAN

But it does make me wonder, why in all the years I've been going to Co-ops to buy seed (or be told they don't have any of what I want) has not a single employee EVER said, "Let me check the inventory in the main warehouse. I'll order it and it will be here Friday"? Until yesterday.
Same here. I had a guy in Franklin co-op last week tell me "we don't have it.........but we could order it". Never heard a co-op employee tell me that in all the years I've been doing this. I assume since everything is way behind these days, they are getting asked a lot and are trying to find alternatives.

BSK

I did have an employee at the Franklin Co-op search the database of all the local Co-ops, which was very helpful (and something none have ever done before). But on finding out no one had a single bag of Buckwheat, why did no one check the main warehouse, which has plenty of Buckwheat (over 100 bags)? Plenty of Cereal Rye too.

DoubleRidge

Same experience as mentioned above...just got off phone with local co-op.....no rape, radish or purple top turnip seed in stock?...they did have 7 top turnip seed.....asked about winter peas by the pound...nope.....had 11lb bag of big name brand pea...30 bucks.

They did have the co-op wildlife blend in stock which contains wheat, peas, rape, radishes & turnip...pic of tag attached....$29.99 for 50lb.

Attachments

• 93126~2.jpeg
    93126~2.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 42

JCDEERMAN

Same experience as mentioned above...just got off phone with local co-op.....no rape, radish or purple top turnip seed in stock?...they did have 7 top turnip seed.....asked about winter peas by the pound...nope.....had 11lb bag of big name brand pea...30 bucks.

They did have the co-op wildlife blend in stock which contains wheat, peas, rape, radishes & turnip...pic of tag attached....$29.99 for 50lb.
Do you know how many bags per acre it recommends?

Going by the percentages, looks like:
36.5 lbs of wheat
7.5 lbs of peas
2 lbs rape
2 lbs of radishes
1 lb of turnips

Could get by with that and maybe add some cereal rye or crimson to it. Did you get some and if so, what are your plans with it (adding anything to it)?

DoubleRidge

36.5 lbs of wheat
7.5 lbs of peas
2 lbs rape
2 lbs of radishes
1 lb of turnips

Could get by with that and maybe add some cereal rye or crimson to it. Did you get some and if so, what are your plans with it (adding anything to it)?

Hadn't bought any yet but plan too.....I'd like to bump up the radishes just because I hadn't grown the daikon before and would like to see how they do...not bad for the soil either....adding some rye or oat would be nice as well.

Honestly that's why I started calling around checking on various seeds.... had considered building my own blend this year....but looks like given the seed available locally the store brand with some, extra mixed in, will have to do.

As far as seed rate....when I ask the standard answer I always get is "50lb per acre".....for drilling maybe.....for broadcasting throw and mow we always go over the recommendation and seed heavy.....hope to have a drill someday...just not there yet.

JCDEERMAN

Hadn't bought any yet but plan too.....I'd like to bump up the radishes just because I hadn't grown the daikon before and would like to see how they do...not bad for the soil either....adding some rye or oat would be nice as well.

Honestly that's why I started calling around checking on various seeds.... had considered building my own blend this year....but looks like given the seed available locally the store brand with some, extra mixed in, will have to do.

As far as seed rate....when I ask the standard answer I always get is "50lb per acre".....for drilling maybe.....for broadcasting throw and mow we always go over the recommendation and seed heavy.....hope to have a drill someday...just not there yet.
They told me somewhat the same thing - "if you don't have many critters, 50 lbs/acre. If you have alot of critters, 75 lbs/acre". I was just curious what different co-ops would recommend.

If I go this route, I may spray, wait a couple weeks, broadcast 25 lbs/acre of cereal rye and a little crimson, then drill 1 bag of this stuff per acre. Doesn't sound too shabby.

DoubleRidge

36.5 lbs of wheat
7.5 lbs of peas
2 lbs rape
2 lbs of radishes
1 lb of turnips

Forgot to mention....four of the plots we are trying the co-op blend in are currently in buckwheat which is around 10 weeks old currently....so we're going to have buckwheat seed on the ground as well....going to broadcast this fall blend into the thick standing buckwheat and bushhog it to cover seed...then pray for rain....so we'll see how it goes.

BSK

For that mix, 50 lbs per acre would be an EXTREMELY low seeding rate.