Just spoke to an 82nd AB veteran from Jonesboro.

Carlos

I met Nick Steffa in deer camp, at Catoosa- back around 2005. He was an older fella hunting by himself, and has setup next to us. He only had the family van to hunt out of, and after a few days- I loaned him my extra 4 wheeler to use during the hunt. He was tickled to have that, easing down those trails as carefully as he could.

We shared stories at camp, like men do. Nick was in the 82nd airborn- and he didn't talk much about that, but shared stories about being a truck driver for 40 years. He never had a wreck, I forgot how many miles he'd logged in that time frame, but he went on to say… I never had a wreck- my driving record was perfect- except for that ONE GAY GUY!
He said this pervert in a little car had gotten beside him and was exposing himself! Said the guy would pull up alongside, do his thing, and then slow back down. Evidently this went on for several miles, and he finally got tired of it, said he ran him off the road right there.

It was one of those 'had to be there' moments. Nick looks almost lost like the old gray headed guy from Home Alone, and he was always the most meek and mild fella you'd ever meet.

When he told that story about, 'that one gay guy' our whole camp exploded with laughter.

Anyways- I called him earlier today- as I hadn't heard back from him over Thanksgiving. He was out deer hunting today, said he turns 80 in May and he's thrilled to still be able to hunt.

Sorry for the long and babbling post, but I just had to share the memories with you all.

Last edited:

dsa5455

Good story. I know it was an in the moment story of the gay guy but I can picture the guys in camp laughing and it made me smile. Wow! 80 and still getting out there.

Snake

I met Nick in deer camp, at Catoosa- back around 2005. He was an older fella hunting by himself, and has setup next to us. He only had the family van to hunt out of, and after a few days- I loaned him my extra 4 wheeler to use during the hunt. He was tickled to have that, easing down those trails as carefully as he could.

We shared stories at camp, like men do. Nick was in the 82nd airborn- and he didn't talk much about that, but shared stories about being a truck driver for 40 years. He never had a wreck, I forgot how many miles he'd logged in that time frame, but he went on to say… I never had a wreck- my driving record was perfect- except for that ONE GAY GUY!
He said this pervert in a little car had gotten beside him and was exposing himself! Said the guy would pull up alongside, do his thing, and then slow back down. Evidently this went on for several miles, and he finally got tired of it, said he ran him off the road right there.

It was one of those 'had to be there' moments. Nick looks almost lost like the old gray headed guy from Home Alone, and he was always the most meek and mild fella you'd ever meet.

When he told that story about, 'that one gay guy' our whole camp exploded with laughter.

Anyways- I called him earlier today- as I hadn't heard back from him over Thanksgiving. He was out deer hunting today, said he turns 80 in May and he's thrilled to still be able to hunt.

Sorry for the long and babbling post, but I just had to share the memories with you all.
Never apologize for a good story brother !

Latest posts