Just booked my first ELK HUNT !!!!

Timberdoodle

I ended up getting a pair of Danner Pronghorns 1000 gram free for the trip by trading in a pair of rockys that started leaking this winter. I have to purchase one more pair of boots. I bought the Badlands 2200 pack. It has a vent system to keep sweating down and is a size that I can use it for self trips in the future without having to buy a larger pack. It was only two ounces heavier than the regular backpacks by badlands! I have purchased all Poly and wool clothing And under armour base layers for the trip and a pair of Zeiss 8x40's to see thru. I am getting there!!!

PO Cedar

If you get the "Outdoor Channel" tape the 3 "Eastman Hunting" segments going on the next two weeks. They are hunting in Idaho for elk and the season corresponds to the time you will be out there. Concentrate on the weather fluctuations during the three weeks they hunt the region and also their dialogue as it relates to them moving down/up the mountains as the severe weather moves in/out of the area. As for a second set of boots,you might look at some Schnees,Hoffman,or Kenetreks. The Danner Pronghorns are popular with the archery hunters in early season. Hopefully they will work for you in the later season. Start an inventory of emergeny lightweight gear for your Badlands pack in case you get caught out overnight. Trioxane bars,first aid kit,emergency blanket,those kinds of things.

Timberdoodle

PO Cedar said:
If you get the "Outdoor Channel" tape the 3 "Eastman Hunting" segments going on the next two weeks. They are hunting in Idaho for elk and the season corresponds to the time you will be out there. Concentrate on the weather fluctuations during the three weeks they hunt the region and also their dialogue as it relates to them moving down/up the mountains as the severe weather moves in/out of the area. As for a second set of boots,you might look at some Schnees,Hoffman,or Kenetreks. The Danner Pronghorns are popular with the archery hunters in early season. Hopefully they will work for you in the later season. Start an inventory of emergeny lightweight gear for your Badlands pack in case you get caught out overnight. Trioxane bars,first aid kit,emergency blanket,those kinds of things.

I have looked on the guide for my outdoor network channel and the only thing coming on is eastman bowhunting and the guide says that it is turkey hunting coverage. I would love to see those three episodes!! Might be a lot of insight. I have gathered a pretty good survival kit/ first aid kit. I have a standard first aid kit and have added pain killers, antacids, asparin( one a day!), Z pac(2),etc.

I am still looking for a quality space blanket and have not purchased my fuel bars yet.

I am seriously looking at the kenetrek 1000gram boots as my second pair. The guide told me to also bring a pair of 1500gram or higher for snow conditions. I am still wondering if I will need them.

Tree Man

The guide told me to also bring a pair of 1500gram or higher for snow conditions. I am still wondering if I will need them.

you never know when you are out west, the weather can drasticly change in a few hours.

rvs9

Congrats on your booking. Idaho is a state on my list. If you are going to be walking as much as I believe you will, you're feet aren't going to get cold. Not too say ignore the guide's advice, but I have a 1000+ gram pair of Rocky boots from a hunt several year's back that I never did wear. Just too warm.

You'll not get in shape enough to keep up with the guide. The altitude is really something else at those elevations. A good guide will know when to stop for us pansies. Don't be proud - you get winded, tell them.

Be prepared to make short bursts of energy (i.e. climbing a hill, moving quick to cut a bull off). That's when you get winded and find yourself shaking on the shot.

And definitely learn to shoot with sticks!

Unicam

rvs9 said:
Congrats on your booking. Idaho is a state on my list. If you are going to be walking as much as I believe you will, you're feet aren't going to get cold. Not too say ignore the guide's advice, but I have a 1000+ gram pair of Rocky boots from a hunt several year's back that I never did wear. Just too warm.

You'll not get in shape enough to keep up with the guide. The altitude is really something else at those elevations. A good guide will know when to stop for us pansies. Don't be proud - you get winded, tell them.

Be prepared to make short bursts of energy (i.e. climbing a hill, moving quick to cut a bull off). That's when you get winded and find yourself shaking on the shot.

And definitely learn to shoot with sticks!

The altitude might slow him down, but ole Timberdoodle can mosey right along! He tried to kill me and my father in law on a Turkey hunt once. Hill was steep, turkey was gobbling and Timberdoodle was in the lead! I was a sweaty mess by the time I topped that hill and he was not even breathing hard. Memories like that are what makes it all worth it.

Timberdoodle

Hey, Unicam!! Hope all is well with the family and I also wish that you and the father in law were coming along. That would be the berries!! I/ll try to take a lot of pictures to share with you when I get back.

Those turkey hunting memories are the best, almost. The best memory was the look on your face when you brought that big ol eight pointer by to show me ! I've never seen you that happy.

When are you headed back this way?

Sako

I will be in Wyoming unit 48 mid October for a bull hunt as well... There has been a lot of good info that others have given.... Listen to the getting in shape, Shoot plenty, and be ready to get up early and be up late....

One thing I would recommend if you can do it... My hunting partner and I always take our time driving out... We generally take 4 days to get out and then when we are done we come home quickly... We drive real hard the first day (generally get to Kanas City first day from Knoxville) and then take our time from there.... We visit differnt sites, Sight see, Eat well... Visit every gun store we can find... This helps us with the time change and also we are generally refreshed when we arrive in camp.... This helps alot... IF you drive all the way through and bust trying to get there you can be tired when you get there... This will have an affect on the 2nd or 3rd morning....

Basically we try to make the drive out fun as well... We have done some really great stuff over the years we will always remember on the drive out.... We personnally will never fly out again... No matter the cost of Gas because it is as much a part of the whole adventure as the hunt...

Timberdoodle

We plan to drive as far as we can the first day, get a room/good nights sleep, get up take a shower and good breakfast and drive till we get there. We should have a day to rest before meeting the guide to pack in.

Timberdoodle

Broke down and purchased a pair of Kennetrek 1000gram boots as my second pair. I am debating anything over 1000 grams. The guide suggests a 1000 and a pair of 1500 in case of snow. Still having a hard time accepting that I will need a 1500 gram pair. That is a lot of insulation to be carrying around the mountain sides!!

I have everything but my rain wear, now.

FIVE MONTHS AND COUNTING!!!!

skynimrod

Congrats on you booking Timber.
Is this a spike camp hunt?
What part of Idaho ya hunting?
Out west I use up t 3 Pairs of boots.
Snow/Cold weather: Tight fitting packs like Sorels
My gortex light thinsulate Danners (good traction, my main boot)
And I also have a pair of gortex Danner hikers for when the weather is moderate (light weight).
I'm from NE Wa and late october can be warm, but the 1st snow usually hits about then also, so keep an I on the weather forecasts for that area, and be prepared for both seasons.
The most important is for your body to stay dry, weather its from sweat or rain/snow it can ruin a good trip. Layers is the way to go. The pack comes in handy to have the warmer gear/rain gear stuffed (extra pair socks) just in case the weather changes fast witch it can. We used to say if you don't like the weather in Northern Wa & Idaho, just wait a couple hrs it will change.
Good Hunting, Shoot a Big one!
Remember Steep & Deep
The hard part (packing it out) is taken care of for you

Latest posts