Just booked an elk outfitter for 2018

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
This feels really weird to pay a guide, but I've never been to Colorado, much less elk hunted. All of my experienced friends were on a different schedule, and my dad is a 60 year old stroke survivor with knees that are starting to head downhill, and I need to make sure to keep him safe and healthy. We've done a lot of homework, but really don't know what to expect until we get there since I'm a rookie. Hoping and praying for good elk hunting weather. My dad and I have talked about this since I was a kid and are just now getting to do it. I'm excited and nervous at the same time, and have a lot of saving and preparing to do before next October's first rifle season. I am not an experienced horse rider, but will need to get a little experience in before heading out. I plan to use the gear that I already own, but will need to buy some gaiters and other various items.

GMU 24, White River National Forest, which I understand has lots of elk but less trophy potential than other areas, which is just fine by us. Public land that is hard to access without horses. I hope to do a DIY hunt in the future once I have learned a bit more. Wish me luck.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Your description of unit 24 sounds very accurate based on the descriptions given to us by the outfitter and the references that we called. This outfitter is unique in that he offers drop camps or guided hunts out of his small ranch that is located in a pocket of private land in the interior of the National Forest. He uses his ranch as a pseudo-base camp since it is already located further in than most public land hunters can access,and takes clients further in (2 hours or so) on horseback each day to really beat the crowds. His references corroborated these accounts, although everyone has made it very clear that the accommodations are anything but fancy. The good news about this is that we can still take hot showers regularly, as well as bring as much gear as we like so that we can have clean clothes and backup gear.

I appreciate the advice about holding off on extra gear. I recently found a good deal on a Tikka T3 Lite in 338WM that I bought more based on liking the gun than the caliber. If I can get it shooting well (I'm a picky handloader) I will bring it for my primary rifle and use my 30-06 as my backup. The outfitter told me to be prepared to take a shot of 3-400yd, although most are shorter than that.

I was considering new binoculars, but will likely hold off on those. I will bring a few pairs of boots in case my primaries get wet, but I already have those, as well.

I'm really looking forward to the experience more than the taking of game. I'm the type who like to learn and then go do it myself, so I will really be paying attention. My dad has been on 2 guided hunts with a different outfitter with nothing to show for it, so I really hope that he has an opportunity to take an elk. This unit often has leftover tags, so we will try to get both a bull and cow tag to increase our chances of success.

Buzzard Breath

It sounds like you're in for a good time. Definitelly spend some time on horses before your trip. You may even consider taking riding lessons to become more familiar with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ThorThor

+ 1 get some riding experience in so there no surprises. Not all on flat ground either- Totally different ballgame

Buzzard Breath":21w274m5 said:
It sounds like you're in for a good time. Definitelly spend some time on horses before your trip. You may even consider taking riding lessons to become more familiar with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I have a friend that owns horses and does a lot of trail riding, so I plan to tag along with him for some experience.

I will wait until after the hunt to post the outfitter's name since I want to give a recommendation based on experience, not research that is decided upon by personal opinion,especially since I am not an experienced elk hunter. I'm open to suggestions on gear or preparation if anyone has any more to offer.

dgolden

EastTNHunter, which outfitter did you go with and what season? My dad and I just booked our first elk hunt for 2018 as well. We booked with Mountainview Adventures. Another Tndeer member has hunted there several times and gave nothing but good reviews.

Love all the advice that has been given so far! I'll definitely be looking for advice as well the close the hunt gets. I can't wait!

Good luck to you and your dad!

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
That other member happens to be my brother :D . I will PM you the outfitter, as I'd prefer to give endorsements based on experience and not personal feelings about my research. I will definitely post up a review after the hunt.

turk870

Since your going to spend some time in the saddle.You might check into some of those cyclist shorts with the gel in the seat.
When I was in Montana spent one day on a mule that was not a pleasure to ride and would have payed good money for some of those shorts to try. :D

Latest posts