Just a Thought...

bowriter

R.I.P.
I had this thought while posting on something else. It has been many years since I hunted with anyone. I cannot remember the last time I hunted with a "hunting partner". I have been a solitary hunter for at least 10-years, probably longer and I enjoy hunting alone most of the time. Most of the larger deer I have killed, I scouted, hung the stand and made the shot. I like it that way.

For about three decades, I hunted with friends or professional associates. I enjoyed the camp camaraderie. But I also missed the freedom of doing it my way and on my time.

One by one, my partners died and I just did not replace them. I began to cultivate small landowners and got permission to hunt so long as I did not bring anyone. To date, I have four different parcels of land I can hunt alone. Three are loaded with deer and turkey. One has only deer as far as I know. One is within walking distance of my back door. I have killed scores of deer off these places and several turkeys. But they lack the enjoyment of scouting new, large timbers tracts. They do have the ease of what to do when you kill something.

Recently I got sorta invited to hunt a 200-acre farm a short drive from my house but I had to hunt with the landowner. I gave it a lot of thought. He is a super nice guy and from the way he talks, a pretty good hunter. I am kinda looking forward to hutning with him some. We share many of the same interests and read the same books. He is a retired college professor and keeps me on my toes. He told me I could hunt however I liked so long as it was legal.

Could be, I have fount a new podnah.

Redfred16

Last year was my first year hunting alone and I think I prefer hunting with a small group. I miss sitting by the fire with a beer telling about how the big one just wouldn't give me the shot.

The collective feeling when we had the plots planted, the way we worked together to get stands hung, lanes cut, offering input for each other and just the friendship in the woods.

Maybe it's just cause I don;t get to talkj hunting at work, but I missed those times alot last year. I actually found a possible hunting partner for this fall. First time hunter but very willing to learn and I'm almost looking forward to seeing him take his first deer as I am of getting one myself.

BSK

Redfred16 said:
Last year was my first year hunting alone and I think I prefer hunting with a small group. I miss sitting by the fire with a beer telling about how the big one just wouldn't give me the shot.

The collective feeling when we had the plots planted, the way we worked together to get stands hung, lanes cut, offering input for each other and just the friendship in the woods.

Same here Redfred16. I hunt and "manage" my property with my family and I couldn't imagine it any other way. If it meant hunting alone, I would probably stop hunting. But then, it may just be my age...

catman529

I like hunting alone and with a partner. Both ways have benefits. I prefer alone, but sometimes just like the company and getting to share the hunt.

W.Seay

I wouldn't be too fired up about hunting if I was always alone without anyone to share the experiences with! A good hunting partner or partners is priceless!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Hunting with a good partner is priceless. Hunting with a bad one is not. I feel as though I just don't have time to train anyone again.

All but one of the places I hunt, I cannot take anyone except a Juvie for turkey on one of them. The only way I would want a hunting partner is if I was camping somewhere or on a small lease just 2-3 people and we had a camphouse of sorts.

After almost 60-years of hunting, I enjoy the alonesess of it and no longer have the real need to share things. I can do that through my columns and a few friends who don't hunt.

However, this new guy make work out as he is not one to inject himself into a hunt but is content to wait until invited. He has 200 acres of land loaded with deer and turkeys and has basically told me, I can come hunt with him when I want and undersdtands why I can't invite him.

We walked a good part of his place yesterday-enough I could gauge his ability and manner and he is a good hunter and I think, a good partner.

We'll see. We are going to hunt together some this turkey season and that will tell the tale. It is hard to find someone who is not too wrapped up in killing something and is content to hunt a few hours now and then when the weather is right. I could tell he was not worried about antlers or buck age or anything other than maybe shooting one now and then...or not.

DaveB

I've had good hunting buddies and one not so good. Until my Sons were old enough I hunted alone and got to the point where I preferred it. Now that the Boys are really into the entire hunting process hunting together is a real joy. I did, however, kill my biggest whitetail this past year when I was alone.

Coach

There is a difference in.... hunting with someone and having someone in your deer camp or even at your cabin while you turkey or small game hunt. I prefer to hunt with my sons who know how to hunt or hunt alone.

I would probably quit hunting if I didn't have the camaraderie of my sons and family to share the experience with...and now my grandsons are coming of age.

You guys like pseshooter could prosper by finding an experienced older hunter to share you hunts with...Some of these guys are just wishing they could get in the woods but maybe they can't drive a car or maybe they need help getting to their lucky spot....People always talk about "take a kid hunting"...I believe it works also in "take an oldster hunting"...

Taking a kid is teaching...taking a senior is learning

bowriter

R.I.P.
Coach said:
There is a difference in.... hunting with someone and having someone in your deer camp or even at your cabin while you turkey or small game hunt. I prefer to hunt with my sons who know how to hunt or hunt alone.

I would probably quit hunting if I didn't have the camaraderie of my sons and family to share the experience with...and now my grandsons are coming of age.

You guys like pseshooter could prosper by finding an experienced older hunter to share you hunts with...Some of these guys are just wishing they could get in the woods but maybe they can't drive a car or maybe they need help getting to their lucky spot....People always talk about "take a kid hunting"...I believe it works also in "take an oldster hunting"...

Hmm, I'm going by the Senior Citizens Center tomorrow and see if I can find someone older than me to take. Maybe I can learn to play bridge. :)

Coach

bowriter said:
Coach said:

Hmm, I'm going by the Senior Citizens Center tomorrow and see if I can find someone older than me to take. Maybe I can learn to play bridge. :)

I'm thinking canasta would be easier...or you could go with pse

brmaster

better watch them older folks when playing cards, from what I hear they can get very angry,(and cheat) so might wanna check and make sure they aint got one of those carry permits before playing,

encore06

bowriter said:
Hunting with a good partner is priceless. Hunting with a bad one is not. I feel as though I just don't have time to train anyone again.
And to just think, I enjoy sharing the woods with anyone who would put up with me. Train someone to be a partner? Sorry, bw, but I dont get it. I hunted a number of hunts last year with a potential new "partner." It was my nephew who took up deer hunting for the first time. It was an absolute pleasure seeing the excitement in his eyes and voice as he would describe the experiences after the hunt. I was able to share some information gained during 30+ years of hunting. IMO, I was helping him with being a better hunter, not a better "partner."

bowriter

R.I.P.
Apples and oranges Encore and my hand hurts to bad to type enough to explain it. Big difference. A partner is far more than just a better hunter or a young hunter or a first time hunter.

encore06

bw, I understand what a partner is and what constitutes a good partner. What I dont understand is why you feel that you must "train" someone to be your partner. Sorry your hand doesn't allow you to explain yourself better. And I'm not trying to be a smarta**, just trying to understand your position. Thanks

Hunter 257W

I hunt alone most of the time but only because my cousin can only get free every now and then. I know I wouldn't like a big hunting club with a lot of strangers but on the opposite end of the spectrum, I wouldn't like it at all if I was always going to hunt alone. Killing a nice buck with nobody there is a hollow experience. You get some pictures and a mount. Sharing the common experience is what it's all about.

Regarding defining a perfect hunting partner, I would say you have found that person when you'd just as soon see them shoot the big buck as yourself.

Latest posts