Juneteenth

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
I had never heard of it. It is going to cause me some issues tomorrow. We are not authorized to get hours on a Federal holiday, I am in Amarillo and my flight leaves tomorrow. I am technically now not authorized to fly but you can bet I will be on that plane.

TRIGGER

I called to get an inspection for tomorrow but they said they were closed tomorrow for it. I called the bank to ask them if they were open and they acted like I had lost my mind and told me they were open on Fridays from 8-5 so I guess they are open.

Forvols

What the heck IS it anyway?

Its is officially name "Junteeth NATIONAL INDEPENDENCE DAY" not to be confused with JULY 4TH...this yahoo article helps explain how the 2 are really tied together for importance...Ok...

Among many reasons for creating a national Juneteenth holiday, the most important is that it commemorates the symbolic end of America's original sin of slavery.

It's why the Senate unanimously consented this week to establish June 19 or Juneteenth (a portmanteau or blend of June and nineteenth) as a federal holiday, followed by the overwhelming approval of the House and President Joe Biden's signature Thursday.
It doesn't mean there aren't naysayers about the idea of creating a federal holiday to remember June 19, 1865, when the last of the enslaved within the former Confederacy were told they were finally free.

Fourteen House members voted against the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act on Wednesday, citing as objections that there are already enough federal holidays, that the name of the law was somehow confusing, or that it contained a hidden liberal subtext aimed at celebrating identity politics.

In reality, the two are connected. Juneteenth complements Independence Day.

MY ADD: Up until today I never knew there was a complement to freeing a NATION vs freeing what has become a protected group within said nation...I think their new race privilege is showing..

Last edited:

moondawg

I didn't know about it until this time last year. I remember the bosses saying the office was closed on a Friday and that we were off that day. When I asked why, they said because of Juneteenth. I wasn't gonna ask too many questions as to why we were off, I would just accept it and take the day off.

Forvols

Americans didn't bring slavery to what was previously called the New World, the British did. Americans ended slavery.
Yes and the overall FREEDOM of a NATION...brought about the end of slavery...not the other way around. The greatest day for the world was when USA claimed and won our freedom. Those outshoots of growth within human rights are being denied, or cast aside or as not enough..but what if the USA never existed...

eddie c

I was talking to one of my neighbors when his boss called. Conversation went as follows.
Boss: what are you doing?
Neighbor: just my camper ready for leaving after work tomorrow.
B. Don't come in tomorrow.
N. Why, am I fired?
B. I wish. The Feds made tomorrow a federal holiday. See you Monday.

sgtwebb1

My mother was nearly full blooded Cherokee. Her family were all from on or near the reservation.
Not for nothing, but our people were treated pretty shoddy, at least as bad as the slaves.
My mom used to snort at things like this, I heard her say many times "you don't hear me bitching about what was done to our people. It was horrible, but nobody alive did any of that, people need to get over themselves."
Pretty much how I feel about slavery.

sgtwebb1

Oh, and good luck getting anything approved from Blue Cross Blue Shield tomorrow.
They announced the other day, all TN offices closed, not even answering the phones.
Lots of pissed off hospital case managers already blowing up my phone today.

"Juneteenth" is Saturday, but they're 'recognizing' it tomorrow.
Guess that's the wave of the future to make sure they cause as much disruption as possible, they'll 'recognize' these weekend holidays on Friday or Monday.
More bang for the buck that way. 😉

Bambi Buster

One Tennessean was among those willing to go on record as opposed to this nonsense.

"......The Juneteenth legislation was sponsored in the Senate by Edward Markey, D-Mass. The House version, sponsored by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, was co-sponsored by 166 lawmakers.

The 14 no votes were:

• Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala.
  • Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz.
  • Rep. Scott DesJarlais, R-Tenn.
  • Rep. Tom Tiffany, R-Wis.
  • Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif.
  • Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala.
  • Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C.
  • Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas
  • Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz.
  • Rep. Tom McClintock, R-Calif.
  • Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont.