Joined In On the Fun - updated with trail cam pic from last year

bowhunterfanatic

Last Saturday morning I toted a climber in to a spot I hunted a lot last year and killed a nice 7 point from. Last year it was a bean field that remained standing until late December. The farmer decided not to plant the field this year. I checked it late summer and it was just grass and weeds about knee high. To my surprise when I showed up Saturday morning the field was waist to head high in some places. I had my bow with me just trying to arrow a doe and brought my rifle along just in case (CWD county). I saw a few does not long after daylight and ended up shooting one about 30 minutes after daylight. My plan was to drive my truck all the way in to the field to load her and bring a tripod along with me to put up in the field for better visibility. That all changed about 7:00 when I caught a nice buck easing down the fence line behind me. He walked out into the field behind me that's nothing but 8 foot high weeds and disappeared like Houdini. Not 15 minutes later this buck came out of the weeds into the field I was watching and I just couldn't bring myself to shoot him after seeing the better racked buck. I knew he was mature but I just kept thinking the other buck might reappear. Of course that didn't happen so I left empty handed and remorseful that I didn't shoot the second buck. This morning was the first day I've had the right wind and weather to get back in there. I had already told myself if I saw the junk rack buck I'd kill kill this time. I spooked a couple does walking in this morning and worried that I might've spooked one of the bucks as well but this guy showed back up at 6:15 on the dot. I watched him for a couple minutes then he gave me a clear shot at about 60 yards and the rest is history. He weighed 218 or so on the hoof. I didn't pull his jaw but I think he was at least 4.5
C76F7489-26B3-458F-AF72-D1D1B51D9648.jpeg

Attachments

• A4274DCA-C66F-4F67-8AD6-73DB395F7658.jpeg
    A4274DCA-C66F-4F67-8AD6-73DB395F7658.jpeg
    985.9 KB · Views: 203

Latest posts