• Help Support TNDeer:

John L. Sloan "Bowriter"

Kirk

Supporter
When you are memorializing a "larger than life" character like "Bowriter", sometimes it is best left to the people that knew him best.

Larry Woody Wilson Post.
In addition to being a gifted writer, John was also a rodeo rider, rodeo promoter, hunting and fishing guide, acclaimed photographer, radio and TV host, and musician. He believed life was meant to be lived, and he squeezed out every drop.

I read him for decades, including his 33 years with The Post, and we were good friends. He was a rollicking storyteller, live and in print. Years ago we went to Alabama on a fishing trip and I laughed non-stop for three days. It was like fishing with Jerry Clower. My ribs ached for a week.

Tommy Bryan Wilson Post.

Award-winning outdoor writer John L. Sloan died in the early morning hours of Tuesday, June 9. Sloan, 75, had been in declining health for the past several months.

Born in Lincoln, Ill., he spent much of his youth in Louisiana where he discovered his love for fishing and hunting.

He earned a degree in animal science/communication from the University of Wyoming and was involved with professional rodeo for much of his young adulthood.

A decorated member of the Southeastern Outdoor Press Association, Sloan also earned awards from the Tennessee Press Association and the Tennessee Outdoor Writers Association.

My most memorable John Sloan "Bowriter" moment happened in a giant Pine plantation down in South Alabama. My son Kyle was 12 and we shared a hunting camp with John Sloan in Alabama during a juvenile deer hunt back in 2006. When I learned of John's death, Kyle and I text back and forth for several minutes and shared some memories of that hunt and our time with John. Kyle had a successful hunt and at the end of the long day, John and I stood on the edge of a big field. A huge Alabama doe laid at our feet. Kyle had this big, confident grin as he admired his doe. John leaned over in close to me and almost whispered, "Don't ever let this moment go."

A few weeks later I get a big envelope in the mail from John Sloan. I opened it and found a page from the The Wilson Post's, Outdoor section. There front and center was a picture of Kyle in the skinning shed with his huge doe. It dwarfed him. A hand written note was inside along with the article. "Here is the tear sheet from the article I wrote on the White Oak hunt. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as did writing it."

Share your favorite "Bowriter" moments below.

Attachments

• Bowriter.jpg
    Bowriter.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 953

oldmanelrod

Met Mr. Sloan one time at Fall Creek Falls golf course. He and Jimmy Holt were playing a round. Both men were very nice. We sat and talked about the TV show I saw them on weekly. He answered several of my questions. Seemed to be a very nice man.

Gravey

Lots of folks didn’t know how to take his sarcasm but I loved it. Growing up I watched the Tennessee Outdoorsman show that he co-hosted with Jimmy Holt and another guy...Smith was his last name I think. Anyway they were a hoot. Fast forward to years later after I found this forum. He did a “how to process a deer” thing at his house. Man did he have some life experiences and the stories to go with it.

oldmanelrod

Lots of folks didn’t know how to take his sarcasm but I loved it. Growing up I watched the Tennessee Outdoorsman show that he co-hosted with Jimmy Holt and another guy...Smith was his last name I think. Anyway they were a hoot. Fast forward to years later after I found this forum. He did a “how to process a deer” thing at his house. Man did he have some life experiences and the stories to go with it.
Glen Smith was the man’s name if you memory serves me correctly.

moondawg

I loved reading his posts. He was quite a character, and some didn't know how to take him. But if you did, you loved him. He was always good to me whenever I saw him in person. He was one of those guys who had a lot of experiences and wisdom, and was willing to share it.

MUP

Supporter
I can't believe I missed this! My daughter and wife had surgeries in Nov and Dec so I missed a good portion of time here. So sorry to read of his passing. I enjoyed hearing his commentary here on the serious deer forum for sure. RIP Bowriter, you are missed around this campfire.

redblood

Jimmy Holt and Glenn Smith. Later on they added John. Thursday night at 7:30 and maybe a rebroadcast on Saturday night on channel 8. Can still remember the theme song. I was just a young kid but i loved it. Saw jimmy holt at an outdoor show when i was a teenager. He was tiny.

Malo1ke

My memory of Mr. Sloan was as him being a substitute teacher back in the mid 80s. At Mt Juliet a lot of us liked to hunt and fish and we knew he was a professional outdoorsman. It was always neat to have him as a sub. He had a certain wit about him. I guess he was a sub to stay busy in between hunts and his real job.

Lost Lake

Supporter
I enjoyed John’s wit and sense of humor, and his writing.

A few memories come to mind. He invited me and a friend to shoot in his group at the first archery tournament I ever shot in. He passed along some helpful tips to a young bow hunter that I remember to this day. There were also some pretty humorous moments that I can’t repeat here, but I still laugh thinking of them.

He always said hello when I’d see him every year at the Deer Classic in Nashville after that, and we’d spend some time jawing about our horse related injuries.

Goodbye John. I hope the deer and fish are plentiful up there.

Teacher

Met him several times at the Deerexpo in Birmingham, AL. He always remembered my son and I when he saw us. Nobody could tell a deer story like he could. Saddens my heart to see him gone.

B

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts