Jimbo laying the wood to Saban

THEdonkey0515

"Some people think they're God," Fisher said. "Go dig into how God did his deal. You may find out about a guy that a lot of things you don't want to know. We've built him up to be the czar of football? Go dig into his past or anybody that's ever coached with him. You can find out anything you want to find out, what he does and how he does it and it's despicable."

All fun in games when bama could offer a little cash under the table.....and have No one question the great Saban.....now every power 5 program is throwing around millions out in the open Saban don't know if bama can keep up with that kinda cash.

BamaProud

Is this the beginning of the end for the tide dynasty and Saban? I'm here for it

I posted in the other thread that I give him 1 or 2 more years. I don't think he likes the 2020's version of college football as much as he did previously. ...but I do not thing Alabama will drop significantly on the field or in recruiting over the next few years no matter if he retires or not. October 8th in Tuscaloosa just got a lot more interesting.

PillsburyDoughboy

LOL you win one game against Saban in how many years??? and you get all cocky. I suspect Saban is the one going to be laying the wood this fall. What comes around goes around.

THEdonkey0515

Saban said bama players made 3 million "doing it the rignt way" last year.

So just because other teams paid more NIL deals they did it wrong? Just because bama paid less makes it the right way?

"The right way" so them under the table deals everyone at this point have agreed all programs have used including bama was they "the right way"

Glad jimbo didn't answer his calls to hear his BS apology

THEdonkey0515

"Coach Saban wasn't talking to me. Coach Saban wasn't talking to Jimbo Fisher. He was talking to his boosters. He was talking to his alumni. He was talking to his givers. He was trying to get money," Sanders said. "That was what he was doing. He was just using us to get to where he was trying to get to."

So coach prime thinks Saban was trying to get money from boosters and alumni by complaining about how much Other teams are spending.

So if true his plain was to cry about Texas A&M spending to much money so his alumni would give him more money to spend? So he can do exactly what he's been crying about this whole time?

Man this is funny

buckaroo

You know one day, all of their championships may be revoked, how does anyone have the top recruiting classes for that long without cheating like he&L, saban may have opened up the door for investigations, a former player is already running his mouth on him, maybe there will be more

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I don't think Fisher watched the full interview and the statements from Coach Saban. My initial reaction when I just heard the reports was that Saban had gone off the deep end. After watching the interview, I understand what Saban was saying and it made sense to me.

Fisher went off on things that really weren't said by Saban. The only bad part I see is that Saban used the term "bought players" which has been a phrase used in accusations in the past but in this context, it was aimed at the NIL process that is out of control, not at a coach or school.

The NIL has set up a method of paying for players in the recruiting process that is out of the school's control but in the control of boosters. The NCAA is not set up to do anything about it.

Last edited:

chris1976

I posted in the other thread that I give him 1 or 2 more years. I don't think he likes the 2020's version of college football as much as he did previously. ...but I do not thing Alabama will drop significantly on the field or in recruiting over the next few years no matter if he retires or not. October 8th in Tuscaloosa just got a lot more interesting.
If Saban and the gumps don't get their shlit together on the collective and NIL going forward, they will be in the rear view mirror. I just don't think Alabama is a rich enough state. Hard to raise money in the trailer parks. Like I said, I'm here for every last moment of it.

Mescalero

If Saban and the gumps don't get their shlit together on the collective and NIL going forward, they will be in the rear view mirror. I just don't think Alabama is a rich enough state. Hard to raise money in the trailer parks. Like I said, I'm here for every last moment of it.
You make a salient point that isn't being appreciated in all of this. I think it affects Clemson to an even greater degree.

I want to first make a couple initial points. The collectives, but more specifically what aTm is alleged to have done (and we all know has done to the tune of allegedly $30 million) is pay non-enrolled recruits/transfer players to come and play football for aTm. This is a violation of NCAA rules and always has been. Whether the NCAA will enforce that rule or not is the question. NIL is a company or charity compensating a college athlete for the use of his or her name, image, or likeness. NIL is different than what the aTm collective(s) and other collectives associated with other schools are doing. In the 5 star WR thread I made the point that schools such as Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson are not doing this vis-a-vis collectives, and I think this episode has proven me correct. What I never said, because it can't be said, is that not even my beloved Buckeyes have clean hands when it comes to recruiting shenanigans over the years. With that out of the way, let's get into what is a very interesting development here that you have brought up.

Before NIL, before the collectives (i.e., before the bagmen becoming legit and out in the open), it's well known that Alabama using the Bryant Bank (just check AL.com) has been doing the clandestine bagman stuff for decades. Same with Clemson via the Newspring Church, although probably more recently. It's much easier for these schools with much smaller alumni/booster bases and overall less wealthy alumni/booster bases, let alone being located in generally speaking much lower income states, to operate via the clandestine bagman approach. Because its against the rules, clandestine, the conspiracy has to be small. The larger the conspiracy, the more likely it gets exposed. So in a way, while "everyone was doing it," some did it much more effectively than others, but for all it was done at the same comparative scale. Now that it's out in the open, a collective can be as big as it wants or can be. That wealthy alumnus who was uncomfortable giving his money to the bagman via the bank conduit or was concerned the IRS was going to audit that large charitable deduction he made to the church, he doesn't have to worry anymore. Heck, that conscientous billionaire can even set up his own collective with his other rich buddies if he wants to. And that's what's happened. Schools like Bama and Clemson who did the clandestine bagman approach better than anyone else, don't have that advantage anymore. Just why is it that it seems to be that Saban and Swinney are the two coaches speaking out against what's going on the most?

Saban is calculated. He made a mistake by naming names (and he and Fisher just stuck a stake in the heart of the SEC "honor amongst theives" that the late Mike Slive worked so hard to bring about). But Saban was messaging his alumni/booster base to get with the program. I think there's something else going on. The Bryant Bank has been in charge, but it can't be a collective. I wouldn't be surprised that there's a power struggle going on down there between the Bryant Bank and other wealthy Bama alumni/boosters about who's going to be in charge of the collective(s). They don't need the Bryant Bank anymore, but you know what it is when someone or thing is in power. It's hard for them to give it up.

But even if Alabama gets their $&!T together on the collective(s), they wont' be able to scale to the degree that the collectives of aTm and even some other SEC schools will. Michigan and Ohio State may have the largest global alumni bases and are very wealthy, but no one measures up to Texas A&M in terms of its wealth and the wealth it can draw on, except Harvard, Yale, and Princeton and they don't play in this sandbox and neither does Stanford. That said, I think eventually the market self-corrects. Rich dudes don't like throwing away their money to Johnny 5 stars who bust and that's going to happen.

PillsburyDoughboy

You make a salient point that isn't being appreciated in all of this. I think it affects Clemson to an even greater degree.

I want to first make a couple initial points. The collectives, but more specifically what aTm is alleged to have done (and we all know has done to the tune of allegedly $30 million) is pay non-enrolled recruits/transfer players to come and play football for aTm. This is a violation of NCAA rules and always has been. Whether the NCAA will enforce that rule or not is the question. NIL is a company or charity compensating a college athlete for the use of his or her name, image, or likeness. NIL is different than what the aTm collective(s) and other collectives associated with other schools are doing. In the 5 star WR thread I made the point that schools such as Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson are not doing this vis-a-vis collectives, and I think this episode has proven me correct. What I never said, because it can't be said, is that not even my beloved Buckeyes have clean hands when it comes to recruiting shenanigans over the years. With that out of the way, let's get into what is a very interesting development here that you have brought up.

Before NIL, before the collectives (i.e., before the bagmen becoming legit and out in the open), it's well known that Alabama using the Bryant Bank (just check AL.com) has been doing the clandestine bagman stuff for decades. Same with Clemson via the Newspring Church, although probably more recently. It's much easier for these schools with much smaller alumni/booster bases and overall less wealthy alumni/booster bases, let alone being located in generally speaking much lower income states, to operate via the clandestine bagman approach. Because its against the rules, clandestine, the conspiracy has to be small. The larger the conspiracy, the more likely it gets exposed. So in a way, while "everyone was doing it," some did it much more effectively than others, but for all it was done at the same comparative scale. Now that it's out in the open, a collective can be as big as it wants or can be. That wealthy alumnus who was uncomfortable giving his money to the bagman via the bank conduit or was concerned the IRS was going to audit that large charitable deduction he made to the church, he doesn't have to worry anymore. Heck, that conscientous billionaire can even set up his own collective with his other rich buddies if he wants to. And that's what's happened. Schools like Bama and Clemson who did the clandestine bagman approach better than anyone else, don't have that advantage anymore. Just why is it that it seems to be that Saban and Swinney are the two coaches speaking out against what's going on the most?

Saban is calculated. He made a mistake by naming names (and he and Fisher just stuck a stake in the heart of the SEC "honor amongst theives" that the late Mike Slive worked so hard to bring about). But Saban was messaging his alumni/booster base to get with the program. I think there's something else going on. The Bryant Bank has been in charge, but it can't be a collective. I wouldn't be surprised that there's a power struggle going on down there between the Bryant Bank and other wealthy Bama alumni/boosters about who's going to be in charge of the collective(s). They don't need the Bryant Bank anymore, but you know what it is when someone or thing is in power. It's hard for them to give it up.

But even if Alabama gets their $&!T together on the collective(s), they wont' be able to scale to the degree that the collectives of aTm and even some other SEC schools will. Michigan and Ohio State may have the largest global alumni bases and are very wealthy, but no one measures up to Texas A&M in terms of its wealth and the wealth it can draw on, except Harvard, Yale, and Princeton and they don't play in this sandbox and neither does Stanford. That said, I think eventually the market self-corrects. Rich dudes don't like throwing away their money to Johnny 5 stars who bust and that's going to happen.
Won't that be something when ATM goes 8-4 and does not beat ALABAMA this year.

Gonna be some some serious heck to pay . He could find himself without a job.

Latest posts