• Help Support TNDeer:

Jerky

Mag

jerky.jpg

Dbllunger

My youngest boy who is a Freshman at MTSU and has his own apartment stopped by the house yesterday (in Murfreesboro) evening to have dinner with the wife and I just as I was taking a load of jerky off the dehydrator. As much as it hurt me, I split it with him. Thank goodness my son in Chattanooga didn't decide to drive over for the evening!

bwgarrett3

Haha! This is funny and not funny at the same time...because people really are crazy about deer jerky.

cbhunter

It’s a lot of work to do and then give it away (I give away quite a bit)
My kids have always loved it and my wife never would try it. Well she tried it a couple weeks ago so now I have added another mouth to feed it to :confused::D

ruger7mag

After using ground meat least year, I'll never slice jerky again. We had my wife's whole buck ground and no fat added at the processor. Thaw out 3 sticks of the ground meat, add LEM jerky seasoning, mix and shoot out on the dehydrator trays. It takes less than 20 minutes minus cook time.

Mag

I just finished a 2 lb batch. Going to experiment a little this year but here's the recipe for this batch. (recipe is for a 1lb batch)

* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic salt
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 3 tablespoons liquid smoke
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
* 7/3 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

cbhunter

i dont have a set recipe but yet it comes out delicious every time! Onion powder, garlic power, jalepeno powder (to be tried this year, a bottle of black oaks, sometimes worcestershire, sometimes dales. black pepper, red pepper, sometimes soy.

Some mix that involves those ingredients. heck its hard to mess up honestly

rmmonty32

I used the teriyaki jerky seasoning from rural king. It was awesome.

Attachments

• 16038349197326290034286620971648.jpg
    16038349197326290034286620971648.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 3

jlanecr500

Supporter
I usually make jerky in June from the deer I kill in Feb Florida hunts. Its hard to beat jerky while fishing. Like was said by others, I give away quite a bit.

Never liked sweet meat so I always make peppered jerky.

8 pounds of 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick sliced meat
3/4 cup worchester sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup dales seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
Marinate 24 hours
Apply lots of course ground black pepper as the meat is placed on the dehydrator trays.

MUP

I usually make jerky in June from the deer I kill in Feb Florida hunts. Its hard to beat jerky while fishing. Like was said by others, I give away quite a bit.

Never liked sweet meat so I always make peppered jerky.

8 pounds of 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick sliced meat
3/4 cup worchester sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup dales seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
Marinate 24 hours
Apply lots of course ground black pepper as the meat is placed on the dehydrator trays.
That's just about the exact recipe I use Jerry. I sprinkle the black pepper in the marinade tho, and then sprinkle mesquite flakes on the strips as they hit the dehydrator. Also add a 1/4 cup of liquid smoke in the marinade ;)

Trnr

Supporter
Great thread! I think I give away as much as I eat haha
Made the mistake of letting 1 guy at work know I make it, now everyone knows lol

Don't have a "unique" recipe, but I use the Jalapeno seasoning from Backwoods (LEM) per the instructions. I use a Jerky cannon and a smoker instead of a slicer and dehydrator....turns out pretty dog gone good

bigjohn

This is for 2 lbs of meat ground or sliced. Soak at least 12 hours. The different bbq sauces will make a big difference. I use sweet baby rays hickory smoke or Kraft hickory smoke. Make sure to stir the red pepper up well with other dry ingredients before adding and if you like it hot then just double the red pepper. If you want a mesquite taste sprinkle mesquite on just before it goes into the dehydrator.

Attachments

• 94A09F0D-AC1D-4251-976A-F46D2AA48946.jpeg
    94A09F0D-AC1D-4251-976A-F46D2AA48946.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Forvols

2weeks ago I made 12lbs of ground meat and seasoning. After dehydrating ended up with 5.5 pounds of actual jerky pepperoni and cajun. 1week ago I made 18lbs of summer sausage(plain and jalapeno) after smoking with apple and hickory wood ended up with 15lbs of summer sausage rolls.

brassmagnet

I have a niece that just knew when i made jerky. She would come over and load her shorts pockets to where it looked like she had a soccer ball in her shorts. Good times.

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts