Jerky change

John3

I have always used ground deer and a gun to make jerky in the past and have it down pretty well. I am wanting to get into sliced jerky and was just looking for some tips on slicing the muscle. Any tips on making it easier? I have heard slicing it while partially frozen can help get thinner cuts and makes the meat easier to deal with. Any other tips?
Thanks

DaveB

I use pepper and worcestershire sauce and manually mix together and let sit overnight. Them I stick a wooden toothpick through one end and hang them from the oven rack. You can get a LOT of jerky in your oven this way, just arrange them so no two touch each other.

Depending on how you cut things and the size of your oven, you can get away with two racks. My oven used to go down to 175 and that was what I used, plus I kept the over door cracked with a wood shim.

I got tired of this procedure so I found a cheapo grinder and a cheapo dehydrator and since they both work pretty good I am gonna keep using them. Less waste, too.

TX300mag

I use the large muscle roasts from the hindquarters. Slice them with the grain-I do at 1/4" or a little more thickness.

Backstraps also make great jerky. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaProud

I have never had ground Jerky that I cared much for. If you have a deli-style meat slicer that helps a lot. When I have made jerky from beef I've had the butcher at Kroger slice it for me. ...but they aren't gonna do that for deer. Freeze it...fully(it ill thaw as you slice it) or partially. Wear a glove to hold the meat steady and keep your hand from freezing. I have used the oven with good success prop the door open on its lowest setting but I prefer a dehydrator. Running your oven for most of a full day will heat your house a lot, so wait for a cold day if you go that route. Also a dehydrator is a lot less messy. I paid like 35 bucks for my Sunbeam dehydrator. I use it for lots of stuff.

Latest posts