Jerkbait fishing

Crow Terminator

I have used soft jerkbaits with success in the past but not hard jerkbaits. That has been one of the lures that I've just not been able to crack the code of. I'm going to give it another go this fall/winter. Usually somewhere around December I will transition from topwater and paddle tail swim baits, to spoons and or blade baits. I've bought up some different jerkbaits and gear...hopefully with some success. Any of you guys good at throwing them? Any tips? I've been watching videos on them for the past few weeks. Have gathered up quite a bit, or so I hope.

scn

I have used soft jerkbaits with success in the past but not hard jerkbaits. That has been one of the lures that I've just not been able to crack the code of. I'm going to give it another go this fall/winter. Usually somewhere around December I will transition from topwater and paddle tail swim baits, to spoons and or blade baits. I've bought up some different jerkbaits and gear...hopefully with some success. Any of you guys good at throwing them? Any tips? I've been watching videos on them for the past few weeks. Have gathered up quite a bit, or so I hope.
When the water gets cold, really slow down your retrieve. I've caught some really nice fish during LONG pauses (basically dead sticking one). And, don't be afraid to throw it over deep water if it is clear. They will come up a long way to eat one.

sll

My favorite late winter-prespawn tactic. Cadence for the day means how good your day on the water is so experiment until you find one they like. One of the best big bass baits there is once the water temp reaches 50 degrees in February/March. They work year round for the most part but that time frame I mentioned is prime time. You want clear water with this bait.

Bone_Chaser

Suspended pre spawn fish in 50 degree water as mentioned above. Fish on a spinning reel standing and jerk the rod tip down toward the water.

bigquacks

Make sure they suspend. you can look on the package to see if they suspend, slow rise, or slow sink. Water temp will make a difference as far as suspending. You can change out hooks or add lead dots to the bait to get it to work like you want it to. I take a fine tip sharpie and write the depth on each jerkbait on the underside.

TRIGGER

My wife makes fun of me because I have a box dedicated to jerkbaits, a jerkbait rod and have one tied on in the winter but every time I pick it up I make about three casts and say "I hate this damn thing" and set it down. I don't have the patience for it. A hard bait is supposed to be moving in my mind lol.
The top two times I have been flat out embarrassed and out fished by my partner involved a jerkbait. The worst was when my buddy caught a 6 lb smallmouth, 5 lb largemouth and MULTIPLE 3's and 4's out of the back of my boat and I never got the first bite. By the time it was over I was mimicking his every movement with the same bait and line he was throwing…nada. I hate a jerkbait but I still keep them around lol

Latest posts