JD engine makes me crazy! (pics)

LanceS4803

Every stinkin' year this engine conks out with an out of adjustment valve problem. Happens real quick, too, as in running fine and then the next minute lacks power. And, every stinkin' year, I have to push it back to the garage to redo the valves. I then get another years worth of cutting out of it. This is a known problem with the 100 series of engines.
Well, this year there was a little surprise waiting for me. This is what I found pulling the valve cover.
WTH causes the valves to go out of adjustment this badly?
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

jlanecr500

Supporter
A couple of things I'd do. Check the cooling system for blockages of grass or mice nests that cause it to run hot and valve to stick. Run 100% gas and a high quality synthetic motor oil. I use 100% synthetic 15w40 Rotella diesel oil in all my small engines. Also, add seafoam at 1oz per gallon every 3 or 4 tankfulls to decarbonize the valves.

Wiley

I run a can of Seafoam periodically in my large engines. Something that I haven't done in a long time is pull a vacuum line off that feeds into the intake and very slowly pour Seafoam into it. Gotta go slow or the engine will choke out. The Seafoam folks say this breaks up carbon in the intake system as well as on top of the pistons. The engine will put out white steam exhaust the entire time but my truck seemed like it ran better and smoother back in the days when I did this......something to consider.... look it up.

LanceS4803

I'll look into Seafoam. (I love their lubricant for stuck bolts.)
Non-ethanol is the only fuel this mower has ever seen.
It's just weird that once a year the valves go out of adjustment, although never bent a rod.

Like it or not, I'll be keeping this for a while, just ticked over 400hrs. All my neighbors are running zero-turns, but they are expensive and this is paid for.

DaveB

I know this is obvious but the pushrods are sticking.

Could easy be engine heat...or improper oil circulation through the galley...BUT if it is just once a year then I'm gonna look real hard at my oil and the pickup.

Seems to me there is some non-oil in the oil and it is not able to easily flow through the block to get to the pushrods. When you have it apart you change the oil?

Oh.
I think all Chebby 265 and 283 engines have this because being a Chebby is hard to take. Or, mebbe not.

LanceS4803

Thanks Dave. Yep, once a year. it just instantly goes out of adjustment, no warning. Once readjusted, it runs great again. Other than that, it starts and runs extremely well.
It gets new oil, plug, filters (oil, air and fuel), and grease at the start of each cutting season.

Spurhunter

Supporter
I had the same problem out of a Briggs. The valves would get out of adjustment and the starter couldn't turn it over. Very common. I also had a bent pushrod like yours once. On my Briggs it was easy to get to. If it's as easy on yours you might want to just adjust your valves at the start of every season and let her eat.

LanceS4803

New pushrod and gasket, set the rocker arms back to spec and she is back to running smoothly.
Going to do a pre-emptive valve adjustment next Spring.

RLH

Supporter
A couple of things I'd do. Check the cooling system for blockages of grass or mice nests that cause it to run hot and valve to stick. Run 100% gas and a high quality synthetic motor oil. I use 100% synthetic 15w40 Rotella diesel oil in all my small engines. Also, add seafoam at 1oz per gallon every 3 or 4 tankfulls to decarbonize the valves.
Rotella diesel oil sounds strange for a air cooled gas motor.

However, Harley Davidson owners manual states that if H.D. oil is not available, use high quality diesel engine motor oil. I know several guys that use Rotella in their bikes.

It's like Franks Hot sauce. I put that **** in everything.

TNTreeman

Rotella diesel oil sounds strange for a air cooled gas motor.

However, Harley Davidson owners manual states that if H.D. oil is not available, use high quality diesel engine motor oil. I know several guys that use Rotella in their bikes.

It's like Franks Hot sauce. I put that **** in everything.
I use rotella 15-40 full synthetic in my zero turns , gas stump grinders, 4 wheelers , motorcycles , and my f250. I change to 5-40 in the winter in my trucks. You're usually mowing when it's hot only so thicker oil us good I think.

vonb

As a cheap(er) replacement, check out the Predator engines at Harbor Freight. I replaced a B&S 5HP that was dead and on a log splitter. I replaced with the a Predator 6.5HP and it was a simple swap with all the bolts lining up. I was impressed with the Predator in that it would crank on the first pull. Best $97 I ever spent.

TNTreeman

As a cheap(er) replacement, check out the Predator engines at Harbor Freight. I replaced a B&S 5HP that was dead and on a log splitter. I replaced with the a Predator 6.5HP and it was a simple swap with all the bolts lining up. I was impressed with the Predator in that it would crank on the first pull. Best $97 I ever spent.
I did the EXACT same thing . So far so good

Latest posts