• Help Support TNDeer:

Jackson Hole WY

Grandslam11

Anyone been? I am flying in this weekend and staying until the following Thursday. Any must do's/see's while I am there? We will take one day to visit different sites of Yellowstone for sure. One day are doing a scenic float of one of the rivers. Keep in mind i will have a 7 year old and a 4 year old with me during travel.

Crappieaddict

I like the Tetons better than Yellowstone, but I would definitely try to do both. I hope you have arranged transportation. If you can even find a rental, the prices are insane! We are heading to the Wind River mountains in August, and had booked a flight into Jackson Hole. Any rentals we could find, and they were extremely few, were in excess of $2k for a week! We ended up changing our flight to Idaho Falls, where we could at least find a rental that was below $1k.

Grandslam11

I like the Tetons better than Yellowstone, but I would definitely try to do both. I hope you have arranged transportation. If you can even find a rental, the prices are insane! We are heading to the Wind River mountains in August, and had booked a flight into Jackson Hole. Any rentals we could find, and they were extremely few, were in excess of $2k for a week! We ended up changing our flight to Idaho Falls, where we could at least find a rental that was below $1k.
I booked a Toyota Sequoia through Jackson Hole Backcountry rentals for $100 per day. I couldn't believe it. I had tried calling every rental car company around and all had waiting list. Cant beat that.

dgolden

Went to Jackson Hole last year. We spent 2 days in Yellowstone, and I was wishing we would have spent an extra day there.
I was fortunate enough to see the grizzly eating on that bull elk it had killed!

KPH

there is too much to see in the amount of time you will be there but if you have time go by the Crazy Horse monument that is being built

scn

Supporter
I'd plan on more than one day for Yellowstone. It is worth it.

I love the area around Last Chance, ID on the Henry's Fork. The Harriman State Park (Railroad Ranch) just south of Last Chance is beautiful. Looking up that valley is what I hope Heaven looks like!

Mesa Falls in the Targhee Nat. Forest is worth visiting.

Wobblyshot1

I visited that when I was a kid. I'm now almost 60 and it's still just being built!
The wife and I were out there this past September. We were told that all funding is private...they absolutely refuse to accept government funds. Also they've had more modern equipment donated to more rapidly remove the rock which will hopefully result in an earlier finish time. Pic from September 2020...
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

DoubleRidge

Ill second the Teton recommendation....we did a scenic float in the area... suitable for children..... absolutely amazing scenery..... honestly between Yellowstone and the Tetons you can't go wrong.... beutiful country.

david k.

The Tetons are awesome and if you can only plan on one day in Yellowstone with kids, I'd suggest getting up early from Jackson Hole with your first stop being Old Faithful, then go up through the Geyser Basin, then go over to Canyon and see Canyon Falls, and then you'll go back to Jackson through the Hayden Valley. The Hayden Valley is chock full of game and in the late afternoon you will have a great chance to see wolves and bears. Take your bino's and a spotting scope on a tripod if you have one. Yellowstone is enormous and the trip I've just detailed will take you the entire day with stops for sightseeing / lunch etc...

Yellowstone is simply too big to see it all in even 4-5 days.

Last edited:

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone been? I am flying in this weekend and staying until the following Thursday. Any must do's/see's while I am there? We will take one day to visit different sites of Yellowstone for sure. One day are doing a scenic float of one of the rivers. Keep in mind i will have a 7 year old and a 4 year old with me during travel.
I've been, and I'm going back in a few weeks.

Too many "must do/see" to do in a couple days.. Seriously. If you only have 1 day for Yellowstone, you will just have to pick/choose what you want. It could take you 2+ hrs to drive from one site to the next (Old faithful -to- Mamoth Spring) . I would pick between these three:
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
Old Faithful
Driving thru Lamar valley or Hayden Valley at dusk or daylight (see wolves/bears/elk/bison/etc)

Latest posts