It's that time!

BSK

Was running in Percy Warner Park this morning and ran into a big flock of hens crossing the road out of a pasture and into the woods. Standing in the middle of road as the line of hens went by were two big long-beards in full strut. In the early morning sun, they looked very impressive, with their colors in full display. First big strutters I've seen this year.

BSK

Nothing like seeing that.
Crazy thing was, these toms were classic "zoo deer" (park wildlife). As a ran up on them, the line of hens scattered a bit. But the two toms stood there in the middle of the road in full strut. I ran past them at a distance of no more than 6 feet. I believe that's the closest I've ever been to a tom in full strut.

JCDEERMAN

Last year, my cousin shot one and the two Jake's and a hen that was with him followed my cousin back to our cabin. About 3/4 of a mile. At one point, he petted on of them. He then sent me pics of the turkeys walking in between our cars and standing on one of our buildings. I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't shown it to me.

Bgoodman30

That's funny buddy of mine did the same this morning and was telling me about them in PW. Perfect morning for some gobbling.

BSK

Last year, my cousin shot one and the two Jake's and a hen that was with him followed my cousin back to our cabin. About 3/4 of a mile. At one point, he petted on of them. He then sent me pics of the turkeys walking in between our cars and standing on one of our buildings. I wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't shown it to me.
That's truly crazy! When I still lived on a farm near Pegram, we had a big pasture behind the house. In winter and spring it was often be filled with huge flocks of turkey. For some weird reason, when our big Maine Coon cat would go back in that pasture, the turkey would line up and follow him around. I have no idea what that social dynamic was all about.

JCDEERMAN

That's truly crazy! When I still lived on a farm near Pegram, we had a big pasture behind the house. In winter and spring it was often be filled with huge flocks of turkey. For some weird reason, when our big Maine Coon cat would go back in that pasture, the turkey would line up and follow him around. I have no idea what that social dynamic was all about.
Very bizarre. 95% of the time the turkeys and deer at our place will skirmish the second they see or hear you. But that other small percentage of time, it's like you can get away with anything. Same cousin twice has been sitting in a parked golf cart in the middle of one of our roads, and had small bucks walk down the road right past him, as if the cart was inconveniently in his way.

I've told him this always happens to him because they know he can't kill them 🤣

Bgoodman30

Very bizarre. 95% of the time the turkeys and deer at our place will skirmish the second they see or hear you. But that other small percentage of time, it's like you can get away with anything. Same cousin twice has been sitting in a parked golf cart in the middle of one of our roads, and had small bucks walk down the road right past him, as if the cart was inconveniently in his way.

I've told him this always happens to him because they know he can't kill them 🤣

City turkeys are just like the deer that Seek one hunts.. 🤣 My friend has gobblers at his house that will literally walk in the garage for a handful of corn...

JCDEERMAN

City turkeys are just like the deer that Seek one hunts.. 🤣 My friend has gobblers at his house that will literally walk in the garage for a handful of corn...
City turkeys, absolutely! When we used to have turkeys around my house here, folks had to put towels up on their chrome bumpers because they would peck their cars. I used to have turkey poop on my back door mat of my patio and my grill mat. I'd be hunting at our place in Hickman and not seeing or hearing a bird, though my wife would send me videos of gobblers strutting down our front sidewalk.

I just can't believe all this happened at our place in Hickman - very rural

Latest posts