It's going to cost us all

Wildcat

Supporter
It might be made for California but the pig farmers across the country that ship it over there will be trying to meet the requirements costing them more which they will pass on to the customers. The bacon could come from an Iowa farmer that ships to both Cal and Tenn, to meet Cal he has to build what they want so ALL his pigs have to go through it so it's going to COST TENN CUSTOMERS what the state of Cal did to their customers.

BMan

If I were a bacon producer, I'd PRAY THAT one of the large companies will take the hit and meet California standards. As their costs go up, I'd sell to the other 49 states that don't want to pay that company's higher prices.

DayDay

Supporter
Tough call for producers. Potential to lose 15% of business. Looks like some want to split their processes to try to match California demand at one expense and use current process to still compete in states outside of California. Companies that just give up on California may not make gains in market share outside of California to make up for this loss.

A drop in produce going to California could temporarily lead to more pigs for the market outside of California. May result in lower prices for the consumer and less profit for producers before it settles out.

Latest posts