ISO "Antique" rifle manual/cataloque

B

BDS05

I need some TnDeer help. I've searched and searched to no avail.
The old man gave me my second rifle for deer hunting after I graduated from a 30-30 given from a family friend.
The given rifle is a Remington Sportsman 78 in 30-06. It is my go to rifle and has been the last 15 years. No matter what I have in the safe, this rifle can't manage more than one hunt without being in the field. With the scars and years of wear, it has proven itself beautiful in its own way. I was once cursed for mentioning refinishing it.
Without giving it back, I want to give back for my father's birthday in the middle of Jan. I want to find a catalogue/brochure/manual for this rifle.
Date code on the rifle is March of 1986.
I can find everything +/-.
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

Re: ISO

ebay is going to be your best bet.
I wanted an Outdoor life from my birth month. Ended up with multiples to choose from.

B

BDS05

I've checked ebay..

It is a bolt action.

LanceS4803

LanceS4803

BDS05":2de5849m said:
I've checked ebay..

That site seems to have everything! This must be an oddball rifle.
I'd set a search notification. May have to wait a while though.

B

BDS05

LanceS4803":1ju5tju3 said:
BDS05":1ju5tju3 said:
I've checked ebay..

That site seems to have everything! This must be an oddball rifle.
I'd set a search notification. May have to wait a while though.
I've only done a minimalist amount of research since I've owned it the last 15 years.
With that, it is an oddball model; the cheapest of the modern day 700 in fact.
It is however my most time proven, zero (I can't emphasize enough) malfunction, least cosmetic worrisome, least problematic of plus 2k$ rifles, perfect hunting weighted, ugliest/most beautiful thing you've ever seen/handled.
Words will never do this rifle justice or accurately describe it.
With the amount of rounds fired through and it's kill count I keep worrying she'll give up soon. God willing, it has some life left.

CBU93

CBU93

Supporter

Had the same rifle in .270 Win. Maybe even same year...hardest kicking rifle I ever shot...best of luck in your manual search.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter

I am willing to bet that infoman jr could give you the right contact information for a manual.

S

SR 1911

I had the same rifle and sold it may still have the manual if I do you are welcome to it I will look this evening

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

I once had a Remington Model 78 in .223 - slew vast numbers of South Dakota prairie dogs with it. While I was in a jungle in South America doing Uncle Sam's bidding, some nefarious miscreants decided they needed it (and the rest of my collection) more than I did.

I am a packrat and have always saved and catalogued all my firearms manuals. I checked today in hopes of being able to help you out. No joy, but interestingly, I did find a manual for a Remington Model 700. I say "interestingly," because I have never owned a new 700. How did that 700 manual find its way into my catalogue file? I'd say there is a high likelihood that Remington never printed a separate manual for a Model 78, since it is essentially a budget grade Model 700 and there were no differences beyond cosmetic. Bottom line; I don't believe a manual specifically dedicated to a Model 78 exists. If my conclusion is incorrect, it's likely that Infoman jr. will point it out, and if one does exist, I wish you the best of luck in finding it. Sorry I was not able to help.

B

BDS05

Bambi Buster":1h9xnepf said:
I once had a Remington Model 78 in .223 - slew vast numbers of South Dakota prairie dogs with it. While I was in a jungle in South America doing Uncle Sam's bidding, some nefarious miscreants decided they needed it (and the rest of my collection) more than I did.

I am a packrat and have always saved and catalogued all my firearms manuals. I checked today in hopes of being able to help you out. No joy, but interestingly, I did find a manual for a Remington Model 700. I say "interestingly," because I have never owned a new 700. How did that 700 manual find its way into my catalogue file? I'd say there is a high likelihood that Remington never printed a separate manual for a Model 78, since it is essentially a budget grade Model 700 and there were no differences beyond cosmetic. Bottom line; I don't believe a manual specifically dedicated to a Model 78 exists. If my conclusion is incorrect, it's likely that Infoman jr. will point it out, and if one does exist, I wish you the best of luck in finding it. Sorry I was not able to help.
Haven't thought of that but that is logical. You may be correct... thanks for looking

B

BDS05

SR 1911":2vjwle8p said:
I had the same rifle and sold it may still have the manual if I do you are welcome to it I will look this evening
I appreciate that.

backroads

backroads

BDS05":2dy2ie3p said:
backroads":2dy2ie3p said:
not sure if it's in here: https://www.remington.com/support/obsol ... rs-manuals

If it is, take it to Kenkos or a FedEx Print and Ship office to have it printed,
Not there. Thank you though.

If you can't find it from someone here then the bottom of the Remington web page says to contact them. I'd give them a call or email and see what they say:

phone: 800-243-9700
or
email: [email protected]