Is your gun loaded

Uncle Jesse

I've seen a few turkey hunting shows lately where the hunter forgot to load his gun. I've always said, I'd rather not see any as to miss one, but I think a click would be the worst. Has anyone had this happen?

Setterman

It is the worst, I have only had it happen once, but it haunts me to this very day. I am still obsessive about sliding the bolt open when I sit down with a bird just to make sure.

skillet

I hunted a bird all year long about 5years ago. I finally had him within 45 yards on the last day of the season and click! I make double sure now!!

Southern Sportsman

It happened to me once, and I had dropped my vest about 3 yards behind me to crawl to the tree I was sitting against. Some how -- and I'm still not sure how -- I managed to click, wait for him to fan out, crawl back, grab one shell, and kill him before he got out of range. He started trotting away when I closed the bolt.

Gravey

I've never had that happen that I can recall but didn't get the action closed all the way one time and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire until it was too late. I did go click on a buck one time right at dark. Climbed up in my stand and forgot to reload. It was a sickening feeling.

Uncle Jesse

I guess the closest I've been to doing it is one morning I took my 3901 20 gauge Beretta. Somehow the way I was resting the gun on my knee caused the safety to get pushed off. That gobbler pitched down and landed about 20 yards in front of me. I was trying to push the safety off and couldn't. He spotted me when I tilted the gun and was gone.

I really don't like those long front Beretta safeties.

Bigg E

It has only happened once when I had my step-daughter on juvenile. We had set up called for a while on the edge of a field and didn't hear anything so we decided to move and look around the edge for some sheds. She wanted to carry the gun so I took the shell out of the chamber but left the ones in the magazine. We made a little loop and walked into the edge of the woods. I spotted movement and there were five jakes standing where we had just picked the decoys up from. We got down and I purred a few times and here they came. I was thinking she was about to kill her first turkey...click! By the time I got one shucked in they were doing that fast, head bobbing walk away at about 30 yards and she missed. I guess taking the shell out was safe for us and the turkeys!

Latest posts