Is there a spray that you can use to "seal" turkey feet?

themanpcl

I have several turkey feet and am going to mount them with the fans and beards. Is there something that I can apply to them so they don't deteriorate? Thanks!

338lapuaman

I have several sets I have cured out along with fans in Borax and haven't bleached the skin or messed up the fans. The trick to borax is shape them how you want them to remain and the COMPLETELY cover them and it will suck all the moisture and smell out of them BUT however they are when you cover them and allow them to stay covered (I prefer 3 weeks to a month) that's how they will be forever. It makes them almost like concrete. I have fans and feet and beards that I did 17 years ago and they look just like the did before I shot them. Granted the "scales" on the feet will turn just a hint of milky white color and won't be completely flat but if you sprayed them with clear shellac spray the scales may lay back down and seal up with a more natural look and be just fine. Like I said mine have been hanging on the wall in our den for 17 years in cold and never had a problem? Hope this helps.

themanpcl

I have several sets I have cured out along with fans in Borax and haven't bleached the skin or messed up the fans. The trick to borax is shape them how you want them to remain and the COMPLETELY cover them and it will suck all the moisture and smell out of them BUT however they are when you cover them and allow them to stay covered (I prefer 3 weeks to a month) that's how they will be forever. It makes them almost like concrete. I have fans and feet and beards that I did 17 years ago and they look just like the did before I shot them. Granted the "scales" on the feet will turn just a hint of milky white color and won't be completely flat but if you sprayed them with clear shellac spray the scales may lay back down and seal up with a more natural look and be just fine. Like I said mine have been hanging on the wall in our den for 17 years in cold and never had a problem? Hope this helps.
I use rubber bands and braces to shape them and let them dry naturally.

SES

I put my son's in a box, spread the toes out wit thumb tacks and completely covered them in salt for several weeks. Turned out great.

Latest posts